PDA

View Full Version : engine swap: 2002 1Liter into a 2000 gsxr750

jah
Tue May 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
after 50Kmiles my 2000 gsxr750 engine had cyc2&3 lo compression. it still started/ran but produced maybe 100hp. choice; refresh the existing engine or replace it.

replaced it with a 2002 1Liter engine. used a mount kit from "hybrid Racing" <hybridracingca@hotmail.com>. the kit is expensive for what you get but it works. they seemed quick to answer tec support emails.

there are differences between a 2000 gsxr750 and a 2002 gsxr1000, mostly electrical. along with the new engine i replaced the wiring harness, radiator(s), ecu, exhaust (used the 1Liter oem headers + a used bolt on M4 exhaust, eliminates the exhaust servo motor too), the fuel indicator resistor is gone in 2002, the ambient air preasure sensor has moved, the head lights are wired different.

finally applyed 12volts and fuel. took 2 tries to start up. odd the first few seconds while the ecu fugured where the 1000rpm idle was. rode to the gym last night, very pleased with the setup so far... smoooooth er and 150+.

Anonymous
Tue May 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Nice! :up:

So how much $$$ did it end up costing? And how much would a refresh cost? Just curious. :)

Wolf-R1
Tue May 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Oh damn that would be awesome! Liter power in a 750 chassis! Nice!

I'm interested too in how much it cost.

jah
Tue May 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM
refresh done at a good shop ~$1000, beyond my abilities.

mount kit $250.00 a ripoff for what you get

engine + additional parts $2000
the 600cc and the 1000 engine's are a popular size$$
1Liter engine with <3000miles, instrument cluster, oem headers, used M4 bolt on hi mount exhaust w/o servo motor, oil and water radiators w/ brackets, complete wiring harness, ecu.

to ship an engine; open pallet, freight ~$220.00

i got mine from a peep in NJ who was on the stuntlife.com site. the process was not for the faint at heart. a gsxr750 engine is alot less, maybe less than $1000 and i would not need a new wiring harness and other parts. i initially bought a 750 on ebay from a race shop in Florida, it had lo compression and they agreed on a refund, i had to ship it back my expense tho. it took awhile to locate a good 1Liter engine. i was careful the second time, with held payment till i had it compression tested at TK's. while TK was looking at the engine the seller's mother called me on my cell and spent 30 minutes yelling at me to send the payment.

the early gixxer engines are so much the same physical shape/size that something like this works. there is not a big weight change and my existing 750 plastics fit w/o modification.

to have someone refresh the old egine would have been the most efficient cost and personal time. there will be a higher level of maintance required for the bike now but:
-it took only 3days of continuous work to install the new engine
-it was a big up grade for the bike, no change in insurance or registration
-medium difficulty, doit yourself
-i got extra parts sell on ebay

-i really dont see any new sportbikes significantly different than what i have
-i would not take care of a new bike, dropping it 20miles outside of the show room, just dontcare all tho my bike is 5years old and some where in medium condition
-unless i do significantly more track time this year i am still the limiting factor in the loop. personally somewhat phucked at the moment track time may not happen.

Anonymous
Tue May 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the details. 8)

while TK was looking at the engine the seller's mother called me on my cell and spent 30 minutes yelling at me to send the payment. :lol: