PDA

View Full Version : Carb setup work

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Anybody have an idea what the cost would be for getting a carb tuned up?

Got a DRZ a month ago and it seems to run a bit rough (lots of backfiring too). It was setup at 2000 feet elevation (Oklahoma) so that might be part of the problem.

I haven't much clue about carbs, haven't had one on a vehicle since my 87 Jeep :) nor do I have tons of time right now.......so I would't mind paying a bit to have it setup correctly.

Bueller
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Get a dynoJet kit for it and follow high altitude instructions.
Or take it to Eddie @ Epic he is the DRZ guy

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Any idea what Eddie charges for a basic setup? How good are the dynojet instructions? I'm living in LazyVille right now and don't want to deal with it, but if the instructions are crazy easy ...then maybe.

Aracheon
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Jay - I'll dig up my receipt. Eddie rejetted my DRZ not too long ago. Fairly reasonable, and I was in the same boat... I didn't want to deal with it. :D

Zach929rr
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
back fire on decel is normal.

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM

That's gonna be annoying

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Jay - I'll dig up my receipt. Eddie rejetted my DRZ not too long ago. Fairly reasonable, and I was in the same boat... I didn't want to deal with it. :D

Cool. We need to get out and hit Switz or Lefthand!

Bueller
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Popping or backfire?

That's gonna be annoying

Stock pipe

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Popping or backfire?

Stock pipe

Yosh pipe,......loud popping, not really a big backfire.....but not sure of the difference either :?

Bueller
Sat May 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
popping (machine gun sound) is normal, backfire (large single explosions) is jetting or air leak issues.

Does it have the 3x3 cut out in the airbox done?

Repsol a095
Sat May 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have done quite a few of these. Here are the magic numbers that have worked for me.

Main jet 145 or 146
Pilot 22.5
Fuel Mixture screw 2.5 turns out
If you have a needle, place the clip on the 3rd notch down from the top

Let me know if you need any help. You are more than welcome to come down to my place, and I will show you what I know.

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
popping (machine gun sound) is normal, backfire (large single explosions) is jetting or air leak issues.

Does it have the 3x3 cut out in the airbox done?

Yup 3x3 done with FCR39 carb and full yosh setup.

Must be very loud popping, not quick like a machine gun though :)

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I have done quite a few of these. Here are the magic numbers that have worked for me.

Main jet 145 or 146
Pilot 22.5
Fuel Mixture screw 2.5 turns out
If you have a needle, place the clip on the 3rd notch down from the top

Let me know if you need any help. You are more than welcome to come down to my place, and I will show you what I know.

Might take up your offer later this summer.

I need to find a manual for the FCR39 (?) carb and look at it. Does it matter if its not the stock carb? Will those numbers still work?

I still might just bring the bike to Eddie (Epic) let it get set up correctly, maybe write down how he set it up then start tearing it apart to learn where everything should be and such.

Repsol a095
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Those numbers are for a stock carb, not the FCR. Sorry about that, man.

Bueller
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
With the FCR on there you will need to get some reference #'s from Thumper Talk in the drz forum or go to the source of most of the info there (Eddie S) I am not sure who here is running an fcr

Repsol a095
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Henry (Brennahm) is running one; he might have some numbers, but you can find it on Thumpertalk as well.

Zach929rr
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Billions of jetting threads daily on tt. Call Eddie @ epic if you have issue you can't fix.

brennahm
Sat May 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Eddie USED to charge an hour of labor or thereabouts to go through a carb. Might be a good idea as there are lots of little tricks and things to check on the FCR's. Especially since you didn't buy the FCR-MX kit new you never know what the previous owner did or didn't do.

bodhizafa
Sat May 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Eddie USED to charge an hour of labor or thereabouts to go through a carb. Might be a good idea as there are lots of little tricks and things to check on the FCR's. Especially since you didn't buy the FCR-MX kit new you never know what the previous owner did or didn't do.

Sounds reasonable, I'll have to call up there this week.

Is there any manual (PDF) you can download for that carb? Tried finding it online with no luck :(

brennahm
Sun May 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Are you even sure which FCR you have? No, there's no pdf quick reference sheet. If you had the stock carb...yeah, they're super easy. But an FCR, while not difficult is definitely not for someone who would rather not deal with it anyway.