PDA

View Full Version : F-Me...another SV question.

billygoatpete
Sun May 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
So...First of, I will admit to being an idiot...thats the easy part. From there, I'd love some help with this issue.

I think I got the oil leak all worked out (good news)..the bad news is as follows.

While working on the bike the other day, I switched the key on when I unlocked the front of the bike to move it outside the garage. Not thinking, I left the key in the "on" position while I was working on the bike thus killing my battery (headlights were on, it was sunny, I didn't notice).

I have a spare 12v battery in the garage for my quad so I swapped them out to do a test ride and all was well. While I had the old battery out, I figured I would replace it as it was 5+ years old and failed on the tester once it had been on the charger. Here's where the problem started.

While installing the new battery I seem to have lodged my head up my ass. After I got the battery in, I crossed the positive and negative cables to the battery terminals (+to-/-to+) for a brief second (I literally touched them to the terminals). Yes, I'm a dumbass. I know red goes to + and black goes to -...

As you can guess, I now have an issue. I checked the fuses (none appeared bad) connected the battery correctly and now have zero power.

I know there are like a bagillion fuses and relay's to the starter from the battery. The 10 and 15 amp fuses all appear fine, from what I can see though, there is what appears to be a relay/fuse (box shaped located right next to the 10 and 15amp fuses that control the headlights and ignition). Is this likely the cause?? I will pull it tommorow and replace it but I'd be up for any suggestions you may have on any other areas I need to check.

Thanks.

MattTLS
Sun May 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Have you checked the main fuse? Sounds likely to be the culprit to me. I don't know the exact location on your bike, but you can probably find that info either in the owner's manual, service manual if you have one, or on a site like svrider.com.

Wrider
Mon May 16th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Yep, it's the main fuse almost 100% for sure. Do you have a multimeter? Put it on resistance to check your fuses. Sometimes fuses that look good can be bad, I know this the hard way...

rfranks303
Mon May 16th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Please be sure to ohm out ( check for continuity) the main fuse I've seen them look good but not be . If you still have problems and need a hand pm me and I can take a look. I'm in south denver so not too far from engelwood. I also had to fix an 05sv that no power after a chain adjustment. Yes a chain adjustment you read that right.

billygoatpete
Mon May 16th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks fella's. It was, indeed, the main fuse. I didn't have a ton of time to mess with it after the "incident" because I had to go to work so today was the 1st I could get back to it. I switched the main (30A) fuse out with the spare, hooked her up and she cranked right up.

Bought a few extra 30A's today as well just in case I decide to lodge my head in my ass again in the near future.

Thanks again for the offers of help. From what I can see so far, the folks on this board are some pretty kickass people!

Squisha
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
:w00t:

Nice when the fix is (relatively) simple and CHEAP, eh??