PDA

View Full Version : Garage door openers?

PunyJuney
Sun May 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Our garage door opener self destructed today. A sprocket bounced out of the assembly, chain fell off and who knows what else as I didn't drag out the ladder to climb up and look at it. Parts on the floor were enough to tell me I wasn't simply going to loop the chain back on.
If anyone does this kinds of thing please PM me as I would rather give the work to someone here.
Thanks!

Sarge
Sun May 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Don't have much experience with this things myself, other than to say that homeowners or renters insurance typically covers the cost of these repairs.

I've never actually dealt with a repair, but I've had 2 units replaced under Homeowners insurance and 1 under Renters insurance.

NUTZ
Sun May 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
A decade ago I did this type of work... If you can't find anyone June hit me up and I'll look at it.

bodhizafa
Sun May 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I replaced mine just after buying my house. Very easy to do. I got one from Lowes...Chamberlain maybe....came with a nice keychain door remote that I use when I ride the moto.

Wrider
Mon May 16th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Ours did that a few years back. It turns out the shaft that went from the motor output gear to the chain-driving sprocket on top sheared. I was able to find another one (even though our opener was almost 15 years old at the time) and replace it for less than 50 bucks.