PDA

View Full Version : Physiology Question

Ol'Skool
Mon May 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Question for any physical therapists, emt's or medical professionals out there.
Occasionaly I'll be riding along and "BOOM" :eek:I get the mother of all cramps in my outer thigh. It always happens in traffic so I try the butt wiggle or stanky leg or rarely the stand up on my bike move.WTH? Is it my riding position or dehydration?

Sarge
Mon May 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I had the same problem for a bit after I got back from Iraq and got back on the bike. You tend to carry more of your weight than you think on your feet on a sportbike, and the cramping is just from using new muscles. It goes away the more you ride and get used to it.

brennahm
Mon May 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Outer thigh...when standing is this the front of your leg (quadriceps) or the back?

dirkterrell
Mon May 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Getting enough potassium?

Ol'Skool
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Outer thigh, up near my hip is the best way to describe it. Im glad Im not the only one to experience this. I always get the wierd looks by drivers when I try to remedy the issue. Glad its a rare issue though.
Potassium? heard that was good for sore muscles.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I ride with most of my weight in the pegs, after just riding 200 miles today, I am feeling it, but as the season wears on, my body gets used to it, and I'll be able to ride 7-800 miles days without thinking twice.

I'd also suggest drinking more high quality H2O

OUTLAWD
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
and potassium is good for cramps, but more often than not, cramping is due to dehydration, not potassium deficiency

Finklestein87
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'd also suggest drinking more high quality H2O

What determines "high quality"?

Filo
Mon May 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds like spasms/cramping in your anterior glute or your tensor fascia lata. I get it all the time due to muscle imbalances in my hips. You can do PT exercises to make it go away, but you should consult a real PT. I am not that kind of Dr. They can rule out things like bulging discs, which can cause these problems in rare cases.

rfranks303
Mon May 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I get a cramp that feels like its in my hip. Almost like my hip is going to pop out of its socket. If I drink plenty of water strech everyday I'm normaly pretty good but loosening my belt a little really helps. I was riding with my belt very tight because I didn't want my ass crack hanging out.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Getting enough potassium?
I tried potassium pills, but if I remember the most you can get is 3%RDA per pill, which makes potassium pills worthless and a waste of money. Why can't we get a REAL dose? Well, because potassium is directly linked to heart function and arrythmia, so it seems the vitamin mfg'rs are erring on the side of caution. I HATE banannas, so what to do? Turns out that LOW SODIUM V8 juice is a great source of potassium (for some reason about double what the regular V8 provides - go figure....), so I just tend to drink that, and put a little salt in it to enhance the flavor.

rforsythe
Mon May 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I get that sometimes, it seems to be related to riding position and if I push on my leg a certain way, especially when I am first starting out. Once I limber up a bit it's fine.

If simple stretching and physical conditioning doesn't work, try basic hydration and electrolytes... V8 and Gatorade won't hurt you, but if you think you have a significant K deficiency you should get it checked out. Blood chemistry is a fine balance, and just blindly messing with it can do more harm than good. If your doctor won't help you out, find a 9HealthFair location (they do them sporadically throughout the year), the blood checks there are insanely cheap.

Squisha
Tue May 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I tried potassium pills, but if I remember the most you can get is 3%RDA per pill, which makes potassium pills worthless and a waste of money. Why can't we get a REAL dose? Well, because potassium is directly linked to heart function and arrythmia, so it seems the vitamin mfg'rs are erring on the side of caution. I HATE banannas, so what to do? Turns out that LOW SODIUM V8 juice is a great source of potassium (for some reason about double what the regular V8 provides - go figure....), so I just tend to drink that, and put a little salt in it to enhance the flavor.

I drink the low sodium V8 too...definitely a good source. Coconut water is also a really good non-banana way of getting electrolytes. If you choose the kind that's just coconut water (not mixed with any other juice or sugar) it's isotonic, low calorie, and easy on the stomach for those who have difficulty with acidic foods. Pretty much a lifesaver in the summer when I otherwise would be miserable.

The Dude Abides!
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM
It sounds like blood pooling to me. Blood will pool (get trapped) in the lower extremeties for various reasons, most commonly due to gravity and lack of movement. This pooling leads to cramping and pain. As stated above, proper hydration is one way to decrease the chances of this happening, another way is proper warm up and stretching.

PunyJuney
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Cramping is typically caused by your body asking a muscle that is already in a shortened position to get shorter. Electrolyte imbalance is a primary reason for muscle to contract and not relax.
Magnesium is the key to allow both as it facilitates communication across the nervous system that is telling your muscles to contract.

As all other posts suggest do your stretching and remain hydrated, but in addition to Potassium(K), pay attention to Chloride (Cl) and Magnesium (Mg) as well. Cl should balance itself if you are properly hydrated and Mg can be absorbed easily under your tongue in the form of Mag.Phos biochemical tissue salts. They are cheap and are like little dissolving pellets. I'm not suggesting you drink less fluids, but they are an easy alternative to toting big bottles on the bike if Mg is your issue.
The stretching should get your muscles to behave and not over contract when in a contracted position (sitting) and a Mg boost just might allow them to relax easier if they do cramp up.

Also, too much potassium (or too little) will cause heart arrhythmia. If you take in too much K via diet your body will rebalance naturally and you just pee it out. If you took a loaded dose in supplement form it could kill you, and this is why high dose K is not commercially available.

Finklestein87
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
My upper back and shoulder get soo damn tight on a 3hr ride I can barely look over my shoulder. It feels like roots are being pulled out of my spine when i stretch my back after getting home

Ol'Skool
Tue May 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
:puke:V-8 juice is the devil!
Thanks for the advice.

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
What determines "high quality"?

waterboy reference...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
:puke:V-8 juice is the devil!
Thanks for the advice.
If you don't like the taste of straight V8, just add some vodka and a dash of A1, worchestershire, and Tabasco to taste. :)

Wrider
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
My upper back and shoulder get soo damn tight on a 3hr ride I can barely look over my shoulder. It feels like roots are being pulled out of my spine when i stretch my back after getting home

You should squeeze the tank with your legs more. It will really help your back/shoulders/wrists out a ton.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
One thing I did last summer riding 300-600mile days one after the other, stand up on the bike and stretch out OFTEN, before you get a chance to cramp.

Blue
Wed May 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Coconut water has a really high percent of potassium (any Safeway carries it). Also from running a lot as well as racing nordic I've found that the cramping you described can be due to your IT band being too tight=("long flat fibrous band that runs all the way down the outside of the thigh to just below the knee"). Take a big can of veggies/fruit, foam roller if you have one, what ever and lay on your side on the floor running the can all the way up your hip and then back down to the top of your knee. Good luck :)

SaShWhO
Wed May 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
lack of sex:)

Devaclis
Wed May 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
HTFU

Ol'Skool
Wed May 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ha! lack of sex!
Honey, its for longer crampless rides. Its a safety precaution.

Zach929rr
Wed May 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
just add some vodka

Gatdaym quality advice right there. +1

OUTLAWD
Wed May 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
from Frank!?

I don't buy it

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
from Frank!?

I don't buy it
No Bloody Marys for you!:)

jrhurt
Thu May 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I have this happen all the time. Mine happens as soon as sit on the bike, not after riding for a while. I always try the stand up and stank leg, but it is just temporary relief. After a while it settles down, but the next day my hip is always really sore.

Mine is definately not due to dehydration, I am guessing it has more to do with being 6'8, but who knows.