PDA

View Full Version : Remote Wireless Access

zPurpleRoom
Wed May 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Okay boys and girls, I have a problem that I would like to field and see what I come up with. The problem is that I need to be able to connect to the internet in a remote setting like a random field or forest such that I can have control several computers collecting data and even stream video/voice back to a central office no more than 250 miles away. I have a potiental need for 50 remote locations all reporting to said central office. Cell phone coverage in these areas are usually decent. Would you recommend 3g/4g cell service? Some sort of bridge with powerful antenna? Dedicated satellite? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Zach929rr
Wed May 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Verizon cell modems have worked well for our pipeline. We operate at triple digit mile distances from the data collection point. Granted, we use very low bandwidth, but data is being sent multiple times per minute.

Finklestein87
Thu May 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Gonna take a lot of bandwidth to send/recieve streaming voice and video. I'm guessing satellite is gonna be the only way. Probably expensive equipment and service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access