PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Dirt

Ricky
Fri May 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I've been working on a little web project for a couple months now, just bit by bit, and I wanted to share it here first for some of the local enthusiasts, and maybe get a bit of input from the crowd here that would use it, on how it could be better.

The name of my site is Colorado Dirt. It is dedicated to dirt trails for whatever type of vehicle; 4x4, motorcycle, 4-wheeler, whatever. Think of it as traildamage.com, but not closed community, and not specifically for 4x4 vehicles. I envision this being a community supported information center for Colorado motorized vehicle dirt trails, and their current conditions. I don't really see it being a club of any sort (no forums for now), but maybe one day I can provide tools for ride planning among members or something. For now, I just want it to be a resource for people who don't know where to go (like me!). I have integrated everything into Google maps, and have added some features that I haven't seen used much on other sites of this kind, like being able to see the track on the map right on the site, and for users to upload their tracks from their rides.

Please keep in mind that I am only a developer. I don't design things worth shit. Everything in the site is under development, and I honestly don't like the overall look of it, but that will change one day. For now, I'm just trying to get the basics of the functionality down. Some of the functionality does not work, and none of the tools have been idiot proofed yet.

Check it out if you'd like. Any input is awesome. If you want to get deeper and maybe add a few trails, let me know and I can make an account for you.

www.codirt.com

Some trails where I've made use of some of the cooler features
http://www.codirt.com/trails/?trailID=223
I recorded the track on this one with my iPhone
http://www.codirt.com/trails/?trailID=264

bodhizafa
Fri May 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Reminds me a bit of traildamage.com. Good start.

Ricky
Fri May 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Reminds me a bit of traildamage.com. Good start.

Thanks. A lot of inspiration came from there. Also staythetrail.org. They have the MVUM overlays for some of their trails.

Captain Obvious
Fri May 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I will give you some feedback on the design features. I have a bit of experience. Rule of thumb... never let developers do the design work! :)

Cool idea tho, as I work on the Jeep, I have wondered where I can go based on difficulty and distance from home.

And waiting for the motorcycle fairy to bring me an enduro.

50sGrl
Fri May 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Just got my XT250 and am looking forward to using your site. Thanks.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
also picked up my dirty last week...this looks to be a great asset...thanks for doing this ricky.