PDA

View Full Version : Parking Lot Practice in West Denver?

LivingPools
Fri May 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Any ideas on a good spot for parking lot practice in West Denver this Saturday (tomorrow) ? I normally go to the stadium at 6th & Kipling where they do the driving course and Abate classes. Looks like its full of trailers and stuff at the moment.

I'll be scoping out public schools in the area if nothing else, but a closed big-box retailer would be ideal.

WolFeYeZ
Fri May 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Might try doing satellite view on Google maps to find one. Worked well for me around here.

D_Sp8s
Fri May 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Try Red Rocks Community College. They do Abate classes there too!

LivingPools
Sat May 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, we remembered where a closed big box retailer is at, see how it goes :)

LivingPools
Sat May 21st, 2011, 08:00 PM
This was a decent, not great, parking lot to practice at. Little rubble here and there with the occasional car and pedestrian short-cutting through to an apartment complex. There's a school parking lot across Sheridan that looked okay on a late Saturday morning, but we stuck with this abandoned parking lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.677830,+-105.055701&num=1&t=h&sll=39.679163,-105.053272&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&ll=39.677805,-105.055625&spn=0.007134,0.011491&z=17&iwloc=A

FZRguy
Sun May 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
Jeffco Staduim is good but like said, big track meet this weekend. There's the old Target store at Colfax and Quail (just east of Simms).

Bueller
Sun May 22nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
There's the old Target store at Colfax and Quail (just east of Simms).

Not a good spot, too many fools riding wheelies there, cops will chase you out now.:)

Mother Goose
Sun May 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Don't go to Colorado Mills, the "security" there is on a power trip.

LivingPools
Sun May 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Not a good spot, too many fools riding wheelies there, cops will chase you out now.:)

Hadn't run into any cops there, good to know. I did show up one time when one of the instructors was present. He was cool with me doing some simple practice for 15 mins or so (weaves, quickstops, and horribly failing to negotiate the box on my Ninja)

LivingPools
Sun May 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoweksIXiu0

what are you trying to learn?

Nice vid! Saturday was for my girl to try out the Harley and see if she was comfortable on it (not so much, as it turns out).

Any practice I do is pretty much brushing up on basic skills from MSF class. I do want to have a slow race sometime this summer.

Slo
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
I used to take people to help them out over to Colfax and Quail. There was a supertarget that is closed, so just a huge empty parking lot. It's on the north side of colfax, turn onto quail and you can't miss it.

Even have the occassional local law enforcement come and just sat there watching us while eating lunch. We didn't practice wheelies and such, just turning and panic braking and such.

Zach929rr
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Coors Field parking lot, go to the very very north end.

LivingPools
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I used to take people to help them out over to Colfax and Quail. There was a supertarget that is closed, so just a huge empty parking lot. It's on the north side of colfax, turn onto quail and you can't miss it.

Even have the occassional local law enforcement come and just sat there watching us while eating lunch. We didn't practice wheelies and such, just turning and panic braking and such.

Looks great on Google Maps satellite view, is that a little race-track one block north??

LivingPools
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Coors Field parking lot, go to the very very north end.

Never thought to try there, I'll put it on the list :)

FZRguy
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, they run RC cars on it. Man, do they haul ass!

WolFeYeZ
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Looks great on Google Maps satellite view, is that a little race-track one block north??

That looks more like it was from that small carnival to the east of it. I think I drove past that on Saturday and saw no race track or carnival.

FZRguy
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
That looks more like it was from that small carnival to the east of it. I think I drove past that on Saturday and saw no race track or carnival.

Like I said, RC track.....and the carnival is 4 days sometime during the summer.

Drunktank
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
I could probably get a group in the Investco Field parking lots. I know everyone there pretty damn well