PDA

View Full Version : Cycle World Ninja 1000 Blog Winner!

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that one of your own just hit the big time.

I am one very lucky Cycle World subscriber. I was chosen from billions of entries to be one of the 10 riders to get a FREE Kawasaki Ninja 1000 for 3 months and blog about it on CW’s site!

Please go to Cycle World's link below and “like” the page. You can follow my adventures there and also on their website (link below as well).

BTW…AMA star Steve Rapp is coming to town to hand me the keys!

If anyone has any questions about the Ninja 1000, please let me know and I'll be sure to try to answer them for you as I learn more and more about the bike. I'll use this thread to update you when I post new blog entries and videos (if that's cool with the admins).

Facebook Site (please go there and "like" the page):

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle-World-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-Experience/126217844119191?ref=ts

http://www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com/

I hope to include the Kawi on many CSC rides over the next 3 months! :bananna:

BC14
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
:w00t:

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you for the w00t my Kawasaki brother. :imwithstupid:

Spooph
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
That's awesome dude! Can't think of a more deserving person. I'm very jealous, and have no doubts you'll enjoy it to the fullest. Say, did they per happenstance say anything about a mileage limit?

CaneZach
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the w00t my Kawasaki brother. :imwithstupid:

Gary, here's another :w00t: from another Kawi rider! What an awesome experience for you. Congrats!

Wrider
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
You summabeech! Congrats man!

FZRguy
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Congrats.....and I'm available for some test riding and giving you my opinion of the bike!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Congrats bro!

Do they provide insurance, or is that up to you?

It looks like a cool bike, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And if you need someone to ride your MV while you ride the Ninja, I'd be only too happy to help bro! I mean, it's the least I can do to help a brotha out! :)

Matty
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
That's Awesome!!!

Also... if your MV needs some love while you're riding and blogging about the Kawi, please don't hesitate to ask for help!!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
That's Awesome!!!

Also... if your MV needs some love while you're riding and blogging about the Kawi, please don't hesitate to ask for help!!!
You been Ninja'd (pun intended....). ;)

ChrisCBX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
Congratulations Gary. Cycle World made a great choice when they decided to have you test and blog about the new Ninja. :up:

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
That's awesome dude! Can't think of a more deserving person. I'm very jealous, and have no doubts you'll enjoy it to the fullest. Say, did they per happenstance say anything about a mileage limit?

Thanks Matt, that's really nice of you. No mileage limit so I plan on having lots of fun. We'll have to get the Kawi's out together!

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Gary, here's another :w00t: from another Kawi rider! What an awesome experience for you. Congrats!

Thanks so much Eric. I hope to ride with you more than a few times this summer with the N1K.

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
You summabeech! Congrats man!

Wrider, FZRguy - thanks so much! I'm really psyched about this. It's not just a FREE bike, but it's a free COOL bike. :)

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Congrats bro!

Do they provide insurance, or is that up to you?

It looks like a cool bike, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And if you need someone to ride your MV while you ride the Ninja, I'd be only too happy to help bro! I mean, it's the least I can do to help a brotha out! :)

Thanks Frank! Kawasaki provides the insurance and I think I get some sort of dealer tag for it.

You'll have to fight El Jefe for rights to the MV. :vader:

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
That's Awesome!!!

Thanks Matty, looks like you'll have fight the winner of Jeff and Frank's fight for the MV. We may have to set up a death cage and sell tix to this!

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
Congratulations Gary. Cycle World made a great choice when they decided to have you test and blog about the new Ninja. :up:

Thank you Chris, very nice of you my friend! :cheers:

We'll have to get pics of the Kawi's together. I didn't realize how many of my friends were part of the evil Kawasaki empire until today lol!

FZRguy
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Us not so lucky stiffs can demo the same bike, and a ZX10R June 4-5 at Bandimere. I say we make a day of it with some grub and brews after.

Stop by the Kawasaki Ticket To Ride Demo Event in Morrison, CO on June 4-5, 2011 for a demo ride. Arrive early to reserve a spot, space is limited.

Ticket to Ride Morrison, CO
Bandimere Speedway
3051 S. Rooney Rd.
Morrison, CO 80465
Gate B

rfranks303
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
That's freakin awsome. If you dicide to fight them when they ask for it back. I got your back.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Gary, if you want to take my FZ1 out for some comparo, I wouldn't mine taking a spin on that green thing you have.

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
That's freakin awsome. If you dicide to fight them when they ask for it back. I got your back.

Thanks man. Jeff and Frank both fight dirty so I'll need a sidekick. :batman:

GuitarX
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Gary, if you want to take my FZ1 out for some comparo, I wouldn't mine taking a spin on that green thing you have.

Thanks Capt, the FZ1 is a bad mamma jamma. Unfortunately, the rules say no one else can ride the Ninja (must be an insurance clause). You can sit on it though and make engine noises... :cussing:

mtnairlover
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:44 AM
.... my friends were part of the evil Kawasaki empire ....

Mwahahaha...:D

I'm really looking forward to getting a couple of shots of the Zed up next to that beauty. I know, she will pale in comparison...lol. ;)

Looking forward to some good rides.

Nvr2late
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Congratulations Gary, I'm sure you will give the new bike a good testing. Look forward to reading about your adventures and also joining you on a few.

daemon
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Cool...i have seen a few pics of the bike and have been wondering about it.
Looking forward to your insight.....Oh and Congrat's.......I guess.

Any chance you will bring it to Idaho Springs on Sunday????

Reyven
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:06 AM
:w00t: This is way fun Gary! Looking forward to reading what you have to say about it. Can anyone sit on it and make vroom vroom noises?!?

Sean
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Sweet man! That's really cool. I hope you enjoy the hell out of it! :cheers:

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Mwahahaha...:D

I'm really looking forward to getting a couple of shots of the Zed up next to that beauty. I know, she will pale in comparison...lol. ;)

Looking forward to some good rides.

Ha! Yet another evil Kwaka rider! We'll get some good pics of the two bikes together on our next ride Cathy, hopefully some video too. Can't wait!

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Congratulations Gary, I'm sure you will give the new bike a good testing. Look forward to reading about your adventures and also joining you on a few.

Thanks Maria, I hope we ride together a lot this year.

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Cool...i have seen a few pics of the bike and have been wondering about it.
Looking forward to your insight.....Oh and Congrat's.......I guess.

Any chance you will bring it to Idaho Springs on Sunday????

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can make the whole ride on Sunday but I'm hoping to at least meet everybody for lunch in Idaho Springs.

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
:w00t: This is way fun Gary! Looking forward to reading what you have to say about it. Can anyone sit on it and make vroom vroom noises?!?

Thanks Reyven, thanks Sean! Reyven, you're welcome to sit on it and make vroom vroom noises lol!

Tylar
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that one of your own just hit the big time.

Excited to hear about a bike trialed in our backwoods. Look forward to the read!

BC14
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I think we should be able to at least 5 Kawi's together for some group shots.... Chris, Zach, Cathy, You, and I. And Mayo and maybe Brandon if the z1000 guys wanna play.

Sean
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Not trying to be a dick at all. But if you want, the little button on the right side of the "quote" button, is the "multi-quote" button. You can quote a bunch of posts with in one of yours. Again, not trying to be an ass, I just didn't know if you knew it was there. If you are just trying to bump up your post count (because people with high post counts are awesome! :rock: ) then that's cool too!

Again, congrats!

Cap'n Crunch
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Congrats Gary -Couldn't of happened to a better guy!

aerofaze
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I was wondering when you were going to announce this to the peanut gallery, Gary. ;) Now I feel really honored to have ridden with you. CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm really excited for you and can't wait to start reading the blog.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue May 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks Capt, the FZ1 is a bad mamma jamma. Unfortunately, the rules say no one else can ride the Ninja (must be an insurance clause). You can sit on it though and make engine noises... :cussing:

No worries man. You have something British also right? I'm not gonna ask to ride anything Italian unless it involves hookers and blow ;) Bottom line, I'd like to get your personal take on the FZ1 vs. the Ninja.

OUTLAWD
Tue May 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
involves hookers and blow... Bottom line...

so I read that you want to do a line of blow off a hookers bottom...?

CaptGoodvibes
Tue May 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
so I read that you want to do a line of blow off a hookers bottom...?

Is she Italian? :D :w00t:

DISCLAIMER for the LEO's: I do not, nor have I ever, snort lines off an Italian hooker's bottom... It's only a joke... common among motorcycle forums and other internet discussion. :silly:

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Excited to hear about a bike trialed in our backwoods. Look forward to the read!

Thanks Tylar, much appreciated...

I think we should be able to at least 5 Kawi's together for some group shots.... Chris, Zach, Cathy, You, and I. And Mayo and maybe Brandon if the z1000 guys wanna play.

Don't forget the Spoophapotamus...and there are a few new Kawi 250 additions to our little family as well. Maybe we can even take the pic over at Darrel's so he can get in there with his 250!

Not trying to be a dick at all. But if you want, the little button on the right side of the "quote" button, is the "multi-quote" button. You can quote a bunch of posts with in one of yours. Again, not trying to be an ass, I just didn't know if you knew it was there. If you are just trying to bump up your post count (because people with high post counts are awesome! :rock: ) then that's cool too!

Again, congrats!

Hey it works! Thanks for the tip, I had no idea...

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Congrats Gary -Couldn't of happened to a better guy!

Thanks Lars! Hope to see ya soon...

I was wondering when you were going to announce this to the peanut gallery, Gary. ;) Now I feel really honored to have ridden with you. CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm really excited for you and can't wait to start reading the blog.

Well, I was waiting until Cycle World let me know the exact date for picking up the bike. Just in case the whole thing ended up being a scam lol! I should be getting it on Wednesday. :)

No worries man. You have something British also right? I'm not gonna ask to ride anything Italian unless it involves hookers and blow ;) Bottom line, I'd like to get your personal take on the FZ1 vs. the Ninja.

Yes Sir, I'm one of the Speed Triple hooligans. :squid:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hey Gary, does this have anything to do with you wanting to record your voice while riding? ;)

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Gary, does this have anything to do with you wanting to record your voice while riding? ;)

Exactimundo!

Captain Obvious
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Congrats, that is awesome!

:) I suspect this is some sort of loan it to you so you decide to buy it thing.

Ahhhh, to ride a new bike.... its been 8 years.

DriverDave
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hey Gary, maybe you should take the Ninja out with your new VFR so you can get a good side by side comparo! I could pilot the VFR if you needed some assistance with that :eyebrows:

GuitarX
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Congrats, that is awesome!

:) I suspect this is some sort of loan it to you so you decide to buy it thing.

Ahhhh, to ride a new bike.... its been 8 years.

LOL! I don't think I've ever owned a bike for 8 years. Does the paint stay on that long? :silly:

Hey Gary, maybe you should take the Ninja out with your new VFR so you can get a good side by side comparo! I could pilot the VFR if you needed some assistance with that :eyebrows:

Thank you for the offer Dave. I'll have my people take it under consideration and get back to you. :drink:

Captain Obvious
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
LOL! I don't think I've ever owned a bike for 8 years. Does the paint stay on that long? :silly:

I don't know either. My bike has race plastic that was repainted 5 years ago. And, IMHO, it still looks good! :)

I am the original owner of my 02 TLR (purchased at end of year). But I have never been able to keep a car for more than 2. So a free 3 month lease on a bike is a great idea!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Exactimundo!
You speakin' Italian to me? :)

GuitarX
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hi all, I thought I'd post this here since most of you probably can't see my FB page. I'll be writing a blog entry for the Cycle World/Kawasaki site later but wanted to fill you in.

What an amazing day! I went to Grand Prix Motorsports in Littleton to pick up the Ninja 1000. I got an all-black one, which is the one I would choose for myself. :bananna: No pictures yet, but I'll get plenty for you. Plus Cycle World sent me a ContourGPS video camera to use for the 3 months so I'll get some video action as well.

Oh man, I still have goosebumps and can't believe what a great day this has been. I picked up the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and met AMA God Steve Rapp. He is such a super amazingly cool guy.

We went on a ride together and I took him to Deer Creek Canyon! Me, Mr. Nobody, is riding with Steve Rapp through Deer Creek. Please don't wake me up from this dream yet. We even came up on a herd of sheep in the middle of a blind corner, so he got a nice taste of real Colorado canyons. :shocked:

He was loving the ride and said he'd like to come back out here and do some more canyon riding. Normally when he does a meet & greet he just gets to drive a rental car to and from the airport. I told him he can have his choice of machines in my garage if he comes out! Can you imagine if that comes to pass? Holy macaroni, I'm on cloud 9. When we came back from the ride we were sitting there talking like old friends about bikes. If it wasn't for the fact that he won Daytona and could lose me like coins in a sofa within seconds in the canyons...I'd almost think he was like a normal person! He'll be racing at Miller this weekend so...GOOD LUCK STEVE! I hope you kick some butt out there!

The stock suspension settings are way too soft for my frame so I'll have to tighten them up before this weekend's riding. I'll have to get over the euphoria of riding around with Steve before getting any initial thoughts of the bike together but there's plenty of time for that.

What a killer day!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
What an awesome day! Good on ya Gary!

Sean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM
:rock:

What a cool opportunity!

aerofaze
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
... Me, Mr. Nobody...

Whatever, Gary. :roll: (...but didja get an autograph? :D)

This is awesome. I can't wait to hear/read more about your experience with this thing and the people you get to meet! Do you get to keep the GPS vidcam after the 3 months with the bike?

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sweet man! Keep us updated! And pics when you pick it up!!

Mntntoproc
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Congrats! Enjoy the ride! Glad you were able to give him a taste of the canyons we get to enjoy! Can't wait to see the pics et all! Go you!

GuitarX
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Whatever, Gary. :roll: (...but didja get an autograph? :D)

This is awesome. I can't wait to hear/read more about your experience with this thing and the people you get to meet! Do you get to keep the GPS vidcam after the 3 months with the bike?

Thanks Sarah, if today is any indication it's going to be a really fun 3 months. I WISH I could keep this camera after it's all over, but I have to give it back. It looks like an amazing piece of gear. Maybe they'll let me buy it at a good price instead. It's this one:

http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps

DriverDave
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks Sarah, if today is any indication it's going to be a really fun 3 months. I WISH I could keep this camera after it's all over, but I have to give it back. It looks like an amazing piece of gear. Maybe they'll let me buy it at a good price instead. It's this one:

http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps

I have a slightly older version of that camera. That's where all my youtube vids came from. But, if I were buying a new one today, I would get the gopro. Contour started out as the better camera, but they have been passed by gopro, I think.

Congrats again, you lucky bastich.

BC14
Wed May 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Awesome. Glad the weather cooperated as well for you guys. Did you meet the other guy from here (CO) that got the bike?

CaptGoodvibes
Wed May 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm in my writing class now and mentioned this awesome experience you get to have to my prof. His question is how often do you have to blog and do you have a link to the page yet?

Wrider
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:06 PM
You summabeech!

I still stand by this. But that is awesome man, you'll definitely have to keep us updated on this bike for sure. I've been a big fan of the FZ1 since I first learned about it (as well as the FZ6 and the Z1000 and the Z750 and all of those) so I'm very curious as to how it compares to 1. A full on ZX-10 and 2. Other bikes more "in it's class."

FZRguy
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Don't forget the new FZ8, and Street/Speed Triple. I got the wants for the R model Triple.

GuitarX
Thu May 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Awesome. Glad the weather cooperated as well for you guys. Did you meet the other guy from here (CO) that got the bike?

No, I figured I had a great time with Steve so I'd let Aaron (the other guy) have his day in the sun. They didn't need me there and I had to get some work done. Hopefully he and I will ride together a few times for pics and videos.

I'm in my writing class now and mentioned this awesome experience you get to have to my prof. His question is how often do you have to blog and do you have a link to the page yet?

Sorry for not answering this sooner. I just got back from seeing Warren Haynes at the Ogden. Effin' great show... :rock:
There are really no rules on the blogging. I guess they just hope you'll blog as often as you can. I still feel like I owe them one for today so that's next on my to-do list.

Here's their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle-World-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-Experience/126217844119191

Don't forget the new FZ8, and Street/Speed Triple. I got the wants for the R model Triple.

Interesting comment. I thought the Ninja 1000 would compare more to my VFR but while riding it I was actually thinking it felt more like my Speed Triple. I think this is mostly due to the "sit up and beg" riding position which reminded me more of the Triumph than the Honda. Also, although the bike is well-composed in the corners it does move around more than the Honda. This is another trait that reminds me of the Triumph. I think the cause for the Kawi might be that the suspension is just way too soft for me as it sits. I'm going to tighten it up at both ends and see if that settles it down through the corners. The bike is surprisingly light-feeling and flickable, again like the Triumph.

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM
My first video ever! Lovin' the Kawasaki...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-vfMRpWsZg

Ghost
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM

That's awesome! Keep it coming!

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
That's awesome! Keep it coming!

Thanks Ghost! I've got 4 more videos from that ride (Deckers, back and forth from Bishops, etc.) but I need to learn how to edit better. I'll get those done asap. The rest of the videos will have more twisties. :)

Tylar
Mon May 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Good music, Gary. Definitely enjoyed watching the vid.

rforsythe
Mon May 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Of course there's always www.chicanetrackdays.com on June 26th if you want to have some good clean fun on the thing. ;) Does the deal include a set of race rubber? :eyebrows:

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Great vid! Only suggestion I have is to level the camera before setting out. Maybe put the bike on a stand and make sure the horizon is square?

Keep'em coming!

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
again like the Triumph.

you should ride mine at some point...a bit old, but pretty much the same as the new 1050 Sprints aside from some minor ergo changes

once it has 2 wheels on it of course ;)

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
you should ride mine at some point...a bit old, but pretty much the same as the new 1050 Sprints aside from some minor ergo changes

once it has 2 wheels on it of course ;)

I'm not deterred by your near mishap in my 848evo lust...

mtnairlover
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Nicely done, Gary. And I was regretting not having the chance to get any scenery shots. Ha! That camera did a pretty good job of capturing the day.

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Good music, Gary. Definitely enjoyed watching the vid.

Thanks Tylar! I was in a band with two of the guys in Chainsaw so I go see them all the time. I wish I had their new album so I could use some of the new stuff. More vids coming...

Of course there's always www.chicanetrackdays.com on June 26th if you want to have some good clean fun on the thing. ;) Does the deal include a set of race rubber? :eyebrows:

As soon as 303 tells me those lazy Italian bastids have shipped my new leathers I'll be signing up for Chicane and STAR School. The Ninja should be a lot of fun there. I've never been on HPR so I'm really looking forward to it.

Great vid! Only suggestion I have is to level the camera before setting out. Maybe put the bike on a stand and make sure the horizon is square?

Keep'em coming!

Yo Capt, it looks pretty level to me. I did it in the garage before riding with the camera. You do realize bikes lean...don't you? :boobies:

Nicely done, Gary. And I was regretting not having the chance to get any scenery shots. Ha! That camera did a pretty good job of capturing the day.

Thanks Cathy, lots more footage coming. I thought my software would allow me to edit sections out but I may be out of luck there. Got to do more homework and get them posted.

BC14
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for putting the effort in Gary. I'll have my GoPro this weekend for our trip, so I'll make sure to get some good vid of you, as well as the others in the group. I have a feeling I'll be changing positions often as we ride to get good shots. I have the LCD screen(finally) so I can do adjustments on the fly :D

ghostrider_9
Mon May 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I just read this thread for the first time . . . I would tell you that I hate you, but it would just be my jealousy shining through. Seriously, it sounds like a great opportunity. I am sure you will have a great time. Let me know if you need someone to chase you around for some good video. I can also hook you up with some good photos . . .

BTW, it was good to see you guys at Deckers. We had a good time chasing you guys back up to 285 . . .

fasterlaster
Mon May 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm with ghostrider_9 on this. I kept wondering what was up with why Gary got a Ninja for 3 months free. Now I know, and a more deserving individual would be hard to find.

Snowman
Mon May 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
So when you racing it?
You can have a whole exposa on drilling bolts and stripping off excess weight...

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Video #2 is up! This is still Texas Creek, but going the opposite direction and following Large Marge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdnuObSKV90

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I just read this thread for the first time . . . I would tell you that I hate you, but it would just be my jealousy shining through. Seriously, it sounds like a great opportunity. I am sure you will have a great time. Let me know if you need someone to chase you around for some good video. I can also hook you up with some good photos . . .

BTW, it was good to see you guys at Deckers. We had a good time chasing you guys back up to 285 . . .

Yes, that was great to see you all at Deckers! What a great day, that ride back up was fun. I'd love to ride with you all again. I wasn't on the Ninja because I need to schedule the 500 mile service and shouldn't ride it again until that happens (hopefully this week).

I'm with ghostrider_9 on this. I kept wondering what was up with why Gary got a Ninja for 3 months free. Now I know, and a more deserving individual would be hard to find.

Jason, you are much too kind my friend. We've got to schedule a ride together again. I don't think I've seen you since Squaw Pass last season?

So when you racing it?
You can have a whole exposa on drilling bolts and stripping off excess weight...

Ha! I won't be racing it but I'm certainly hoping to get it on HPR. Waiting for leathers... :wait:

BC14
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, that was great to see you all at Deckers! What a great day, that ride back up was fun. I'd love to ride with you all again. I wasn't on the Ninja because I need to schedule the 500 mile service and shouldn't ride it again until that happens (hopefully this week).
Are you outta pocket for the service(s), or did they give you vouchers or something?

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Are you outta pocket for the service(s), or did they give you vouchers or something?

I'm pretty sure I pay for them but we'll see. I emailed the question to my person at Cycle World to find out for sure. Did you watch video #2? That's the pregnant hippo I'm following! :squid:

BC14
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'll watch it on my "lunch break" on my phone. And she's not preggo, just a bit overweight. She's sensitive :cry:

Pretty sure I'm not a squid, but I guess one can't make that determination themselves......

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'll watch it on my "lunch break" on my phone. And she's not preggo, just a bit overweight. She's sensitive :cry:

Pretty sure I'm not a squid, but I guess one can't make that determination themselves......

Don't you know how it works? Anyone slower than you is an idiot and anyone faster than you is a squid. Calling you a squid means I'm giving you respect and admitting you're faster than me! :happybday:

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Video #3 is up! This one is coming back from Bishop's Castle, again behind the "bit overweight" hungry hippo. Lots o' twisties!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWivSlxN44

The ending is quite artistic...

BC14
Tue May 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Don't you know how it works? Anyone slower than you is an idiot and anyone faster than you is a squid. Calling you a squid means I'm giving you respect and admitting you're faster than me! :happybday:
That is some seriously flawed logic.

Snowman
Tue May 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
If your leathers don't show I'm sure we can find you a set that fits. Maybe ask Rybo if you can rent a set they let riders use in Super Street...

Hmm I wonder how freaked Cycle World would be if you ran it in Super Street.
Just an Idea.

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM
If your leathers don't show I'm sure we can find you a set that fits. Maybe ask Rybo if you can rent a set they let riders use in Super Street...

Hmm I wonder how freaked Cycle World would be if you ran it in Super Street.
Just an Idea.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I have a friend in the MRA that's similar to my size as well and his leathers might fit if worst comes to worst. They say "Ducati" all over them though. :batman:

I found out ~10 years ago I'm not fast enough to race LOL! I did it for the experience and it was cool. I had way more fun just doing track days with friends and I'd like to get back into that.

Ghost
Tue May 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I have a friend in the MRA that's similar to my size as well and his leathers might fit if worst comes to worst. They say "Ducati" all over them though. :batman:

I found out ~10 years ago I'm not fast enough to race LOL! I did it for the experience and it was cool. I had way more fun just doing track days with friends and I'd like to get back into that.

Used leathers:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com/index.html

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Used leathers:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com/index.html

EWWWW...cooties. :puke:

Sean
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Among all of these yahoo's on this board, we can get you set up with some leathers. Mine aren't getting used, what size are you?

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hey Sean, I'll hit you up if I need to. I have a set of Dainese size 60's on order right now but not sure what the status is. They were "supposed" to ship by today. I have a friend who's about the same height/weight as I am, and I can probably borrow his. I may have to duct tape over all the Ducati logos and write MV Agusta instead though. :p

Ghost
Tue May 31st, 2011, 07:07 PM
EWWWW...cooties. :puke:

Yes, but they're cheap cooties.

And, not that it matters since you've ordered a set, but a lot of these aren't used, they're overstock items and/or inventory from closed dealerships.

I got a Spidi kangaroo 1pc new with the tags on for $600 (retail is around $1600). It's just a matter of luck in sizing and color.

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, my problem is that I have to try stuff on before buying. I'm too damn tall for some stuff and it just doesn't fit me right.

Video #4 is up! This one is going up to Bishop's. If TJ is following this thread, I'm behind her on this one (I think her id is Concabar???).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrMiJ_5le0

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hey Sean, I'll hit you up if I need to. I have a set of Dainese size 60's on order right now but not sure what the status is. They were "supposed" to ship by today. :p
.....can't trust them lazy Dago bastards.......... :)

GuitarX
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
My new blogs, pics, and videos are up on Cycle World's site! Here's the link:

http://www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com

And don't forget to "like" the Facebook page as well:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle-World-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-Experience/126217844119191

GuitarX
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Just posted the final video from Saturday's ride. This one is actually the first one shot and is us going through Deckers. Tons o' twisties.

Thanks for being patient with all this stuff, kinda cool though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zon3j3hyyik

GuitarX
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
$400 for a 600 mile service?! Cheezus H Kreist! :poo:

aerofaze
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
$400 for a 600 mile service?! Cheezus H Kreist! :poo:

I never imagined it'd be that much for a Kawi cuz it's not that far off from the Duc's 600mi service.

Toner
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
My new blogs, pics, and videos are up on Cycle World's site! Here's the link:

You're getting some serious rides under your belt compared to a lot of the other winners. Way to represent Colorado! :yes:

Sean
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hey Sean, I'll hit you up if I need to. I have a set of Dainese size 60's on order right now but not sure what the status is. They were "supposed" to ship by today. I have a friend who's about the same height/weight as I am, and I can probably borrow his. I may have to duct tape over all the Ducati logos and write MV Agusta instead though. :p:up: hit me up anytime.

GuitarX
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
You're getting some serious rides under your belt compared to a lot of the other winners. Way to represent Colorado! :yes:

Thanks Toner! Got some more planned for this weekend... :bananna:

:up: hit me up anytime.

Thank you Sean. I just found out that the leathers I have on order have been delayed for another month. Must have been a pasta festival in Italy or something and they took 4 weeks off. I'm looking for a plan B as we speak. Alpinestars is a possibility if I can find something off the rack. Hoping to try on my bud's leathers this weekend as well. If they fit I'm good.

GuitarX
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
First video from today...more to come. This one is part one of the Stove Prairie section. I left the music off this one since you can kind of hear the engine a bit. Sorry for all the wind noise. Killer ride today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO25fRqTGl0

BC14
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
First video from today...more to come. This one is part one of the Stove Prairie section. I left the music off this one since you can kind of hear the engine a bit. Sorry for all the wind noise. Killer ride today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO25fRqTGl0
I'm out front in this vid. Such a great road that is, cept for dem damn dirty cattle guards.

GuitarX
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM
And here's part 2 of the Stove Prairie section of the ride. More coming soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eYnb_hpuKg

cbrjohnny
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
thanks for the ride... lol feels like i was there with you! hows that tire holding up? mine are on the edge of doom lol.

GuitarX
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
thanks for the ride... lol feels like i was there with you! hows that tire holding up? mine are on the edge of doom lol.

I wish you WERE there! It was an awesome day. My tires are actually doing well. I think the roads to Bishop's are just extra rough and really ground into them. They did fine on Saturday.

BC14
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I wish you WERE there! It was an awesome day. My tires are actually doing well. I think the roads to Bishop's are just extra rough and really ground into them. They did fine on Saturday.
I can attest to that. Unfortunately, Saturday's ride had to get cut short because my back Pirelli decided it didn't like having tread on them anymore. Those roads between Cripple Creek and HWY 50 were especially abrasive, from what I could tell.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks Toner! Got some more planned for this weekend... :bananna:

Thank you Sean. I just found out that the leathers I have on order have been delayed for another month. Must have been a pasta festival in Italy or something and they took 4 weeks off. I'm looking for a plan B as we speak. Alpinestars is a possibility if I can find something off the rack. Hoping to try on my bud's leathers this weekend as well. If they fit I'm good.
You want I should have a little chat wit' 'da Paisan's? :)

GuitarX
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Frank. Please tell them that the leathers will be featured in Cycle World and will be as famous as The Doctor's. :-)

2nd Video from Saturday's ride is up - this one is 20 Mile Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3lokY2vuU

GuitarX
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
And another video from Saturday's ride. Gore Pass - TWISTIES!!!!!
This one is for Outlawd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ReJDvpjYLc

WolFeYeZ
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Hey, nice meeting you today. That bike is awesome, but how is that dirt from your off roading experience? :P

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Frank. Please tell them that the leathers will be featured in Cycle World and will be as famous as The Doctor's. :-)

2nd Video from Saturday's ride is up - this one is 20 Mile Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3lokY2vuU

I'll do that. ;) Hey, just a thought, since the nickname "The Doctor" is already taken, maybe have the words "The Proctologist" sewed on the back? :p:lol:

Wish I could watch the videos, but I'm stuck in buffering hell no matter what I do......

GuitarX
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'll do that. ;) Hey, just a thought, since the nickname "The Doctor" is already taken, maybe have the words "The Proctologist" sewed on the back? :p:lol:

"The Proctologist"...I love it! I don't know how many customers I'll get as I'll be using this glove.... Might be a bit...er...painful. :doublefinger:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=481

GuitarX
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 11:04 PM
New blog, videos, and pictures up on the Cycle World site...

BC14
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
New blog, videos, and pictures up on the Cycle World site...

Great blog entries. Glad to be joining you on most of these rides. Pretty cool stuff.

GuitarX
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Great blog entries. Glad to be joining you on most of these rides. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm glad you are too my friend. Can't wait 'til the next one!

Nvr2late
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM

I'm glad you are too my friend. Can't wait 'til the next one!

I agree, I've enjoyed following your blog entries and especially tagging along on some of the adventures.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I agree, I've enjoyed following your blog entries and especially tagging along on some of the adventures.

Yep, I'll have to 2nd that. Thanks, Gary. And I do like those blog entries.

Gotta try and do a route that goes south of I70 again next time.

BC14
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Yep, I'll have to 2nd that. Thanks, Gary. And I do like those blog entries.

Gotta try and do a route that goes south of I70 again next time.
I smell a Lake City run in the near future :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM
"The Proctologist"...I love it! I don't know how many customers I'll get as I'll be using this glove.... Might be a bit...er...painful. :doublefinger:

Waddaya mean, them gloves would be PERECT! I mean, they're all assholes anyways.... :lol:

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I smell a Lake City run in the near future :D

Ha!

Um...maybe an overnighter to take in a few other roads and cut down on time in the seat? Here's what a round-trip looks like out to Lake City and back again...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/lakecityloop.jpg

Total round-trip miles from Westminster = 642 according to Google.

We'll have to have a chat about this one.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ha!

Um...maybe an overnighter to take in a few other roads and cut down on time in the seat? Here's what a round-trip looks like out to Lake City and back again...

Count me in on this one guys. I'm sure I could swing the ride in one day if we can't get agreement on an overnighter.

Maria, Cathy, I love riding with you guys! It's been a great season already and we have a ways to go woo hoo! :bananna:

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Count me in on this one guys. I'm sure I could swing the ride in one day if we can't get agreement on an overnighter.

In that case, I'd say a real early departure time from Moco (7:00-7:30ish) and yes, we would be taking hwy285 for a good leg of the trip, since the more important road is way down south. Considering our good time usage last Saturday (and I was very pleasantly surprised with how quickly we got out to Steamboat), I think we could still make it back home by sundown if we ride the same way and make good use of our stops. Oh and there will more than likely be a couple of stops at mountain passes for fantastic scenic viewing as well as photo ops.

So, we would just have to just come up with a day to do this. Unless of course we have more ideas/thoughts on overnighters.

Nvr2late
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Maria, Cathy, I love riding with you guys! It's been a great season already and we have a ways to go woo hoo! :bananna:

In that case, I'd say a real early departure time from Moco (7:00-7:30ish) and yes, we would be taking hwy285 for a good leg of the trip, since the more important road is way down south. Considering our good time usage last Saturday (and I was very pleasantly surprised with how quickly we got out to Steamboat), I think we could still make it back home by sundown if we ride the same way and make good use of our stops. Oh and there will more than likely be a couple of stops at mountain passes for fantastic scenic viewing as well as photo ops.

So, we would just have to just come up with a day to do this. Unless of course we have more ideas/thoughts on overnighters.

Meeee wants to go to. I'm up for either option, I can handle a long day in the seat or an overnighter if needed. :D

Ghost
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I considered that glove, is it actually comfortable?

Ghost
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM

What day are you thinking of doing this?

GuitarX
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I considered that glove, is it actually comfortable?

Hey Ghost, these are the best gloves I've ever owned (including Held, etc.). They're very comfortable actually. You don't feel those plastic thingies at all. They're just there as an extra layer of protection while sliding before the pavement hits the leather. They pretty much feel worn in from the first day. If you don't like the looks you can go for the next model down which is the Biomech (and save some money as well).

BC14
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Ha!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/lakecityloop.jpg

I did this route last year, ended up at ~660 miles, and I left my house a little after 0530. I think this is a doable day ride, with enough preparing. I can't do overnighters without a dog watcher.

Snowman
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Find a B and B with a hot tub...

Nvr2late
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I did this route last year, ended up at ~660 miles, and I left my house a little after 0530. I think this is a doable day ride, with enough preparing. I can't do overnighters without a dog watcher.

Put Anke and Ziggy in your saddle bags.....:idea:

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
What day are you thinking of doing this?

Gonna have a conversation about this route and a potential to tweak it making it an overnighter, but we can talk about that this weekend if that's ok? Gives me some time to tweak the route a bit, too. ;)

Edit: Crap! I thought I had quoted GuitarX. Ha! I'm old and losing my mind. Sorry, Ghost. But hey, someone will include you on the invite if we attempt the ride. How's that?

*blushing* a deep shade of red

GuitarX
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Gonna have a conversation about this route and a potential to tweak it making it an overnighter, but we can talk about that this weekend if that's ok? Gives me some time to tweak the route a bit, too. ;)

The only weekend out for me I believe is 6/18-6/19.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Last video from Saturday. This is Hwy 40 out of Winter Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHZX_vI49vo

BC14
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM

Edit: Crap! I thought I had quoted GuitarX. Ha! I'm old and losing my mind. Sorry, Ghost. But hey, someone will include you on the invite if we attempt the ride. How's that?

*blushing* a deep shade of red
:lol: It happens. I'm totally down for this ride, and if you plan on doing an over nighter, I'd just stop at some point and swing back home. No biggie.

BC14
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Same

Nvr2late
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM

Saturday 6/25 is out for me, I'll be rafting.

BC14
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Saturday 6/25 is out for me, I'll be rafting.
Oh yeah, that day too :D

GuitarX
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
New blogs and pictures at:

http://www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com/

New videos from last weekend's Trail Ridge ride:

Clear Creek 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJVOG4qVs4

Clear Creek 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQObFft6hXg

Hwy 40:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgNSmc5cW8

Trail Ridge Rd 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmANgtbYQA

Trail Ridge Rd 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIujg9MRQs

Thanks...

aerofaze
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
You have waaaay more miles than all these other Ninja1000 bloggers- reading their write-ups, I'm guessing you're probably ahead of the next rider by 1000 miles. :bow:

That's the way we ride in Colorado. 8)

I knew you were a perfect representative!

Sean
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
That's a great blog. Although it looks like you ride with a bunch of hooligans. Be careful around that group of people! I really like how you give detail to gas, mileage and the various facets of the bike. Keep it up. :up:

aerofaze
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I totally dig the pics of the bike with snowbanks several feet high in the background. Hardcore!

We're overdue for a ride with you. :D

GuitarX
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
You have waaaay more miles than all these other Ninja1000 bloggers- reading their write-ups, I'm guessing you're probably ahead of the next rider by 1000 miles. :bow:

That's the way we ride in Colorado. 8)

I knew you were a perfect representative!

Thanks Sarah! We've got to get a ride in together with the Ninja. I just hit 1800 miles this morning. :loop:

That's a great blog. Although it looks like you ride with a bunch of hooligans. Be careful around that group of people! I really like how you give detail to gas, mileage and the various facets of the bike. Keep it up. :up:

Hey Sean, you said it brother. These people are gonna get me in trouble! True hooligans, every last one of them. I'm perfectly innocent of course. If you can think of anything I should add to the details just let me know. I'm trying to perfect it as I go along.

GuitarX
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
A couple new videos for anybody paying attention...

Hwy 34 towards Stove Prairie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM2CVaicK5M

Poudre Canyon east of Stove Prairie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Au0Owr6gw

BC14
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hey Sean, you said it brother. These people are gonna get me in trouble! True hooligans, every last one of them. I'm perfectly innocent of course. If you can think of anything I should add to the details just let me know. I'm trying to perfect it as I go along.
Real "innocent"...... right. Just when the camera is rolling :p

GuitarX
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Real "innocent"...... right. Just when the camera is rolling :p

LOL Erik! Why do you think I don't show the speedometer and have been editing out anything...improper? :devil1:

BC14
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
LOL Erik! Why do you think I don't show the speedometer and have been editing out anything...improper? :devil1:
:roll:

GuitarX
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM
New blogs, etc. at:

http://www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com/ninjaexp_Rosenblog.html

Sean
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 07:16 AM
Nice review! Bummer to hear about all of the crashing though. Maybe you mentioned this in a different review, but how is the rear tire wearing? With 1000's, the rear tires tend to wear a bit quicker and now that you have over 2k on it, I didn't know if there was any wear at all. That could be considered a tire review, but if they wear well, it can be another selling point. Just curious.

btw, I checked out your online store. You sell a lot of nice gear. I've always kind of wanted an Acoustic Image head with a Raezer's Edge 2x10 cab. :drool:

aerofaze
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear you saw the carnage of two crashes in one day. That'd be enough to shake me up for awhile. *shudder* But it sounds like your friend had a good time hanging out, and I'm glad you took her down to my stomping grounds and Garden of the Gods.

I've definitely been enjoying your reviews- you tell a good story while being informative. Looking forward to more!

CaneZach
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Gary, those write-ups are excellent!

GuitarX
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Nice review! Bummer to hear about all of the crashing though. Maybe you mentioned this in a different review, but how is the rear tire wearing? With 1000's, the rear tires tend to wear a bit quicker and now that you have over 2k on it, I didn't know if there was any wear at all. That could be considered a tire review, but if they wear well, it can be another selling point. Just curious.

btw, I checked out your online store. You sell a lot of nice gear. I've always kind of wanted an Acoustic Image head with a Raezer's Edge 2x10 cab. :drool:

I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the tires. The maiden voyage was a trip to Bishop's Castle and the tires felt a bit squidgy after only 400 miles. They looked like they had been through a track day. Maybe the roads down there are just extra abrasive or something. After that initial dismay however, they've been good. I've got 2200 miles on them now and they don't look too different from that day. Maybe a touch more squared off from the straight miles put on since. The grip has been excellent and I haven't had any "pucker moments". I'm not in love with the BT-016s but I've been told by several people that the ones you buy aftermarket are different from the OEM tires. So they may be better than I expect. When it's time for new tires I'll probably go with Metzeler M3s. I'll make sure to take some tire pictures on the next ride.

As for the Acoustic Image, I'd be happy to give you a special "CSC deal" lol! Just give me a shout anytime. They actually have a new combo called the Ten2 so unless you want a separate amp and 2x10 cab, you don't have to go that route. It's my favorite of their combos!

I'm sorry to hear you saw the carnage of two crashes in one day. That'd be enough to shake me up for awhile. *shudder* But it sounds like your friend had a good time hanging out, and I'm glad you took her down to my stomping grounds and Garden of the Gods.

I've definitely been enjoying your reviews- you tell a good story while being informative. Looking forward to more!

Thanks so much Sarah. We need to set up another Bishop's ride or something on the south side. I'll tell you, coming around that blind corner and seeing that guy face down on the street was really shocking. I just hope he's okay.

Gary, those write-ups are excellent!

Thanks Zach! I need to get some video footage chasing you around!

CaneZach
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks Zach! I need to get some video footage chasing you around!

Anytime, my friend! Now that I replaced the sprockets and chain, I'm good to go!

GuitarX
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Anytime, my friend! Now that I replaced the sprockets and chain, I'm good to go!

Got any plans for Saturday yet? :eyebrows:

CaneZach
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Got any plans for Saturday yet? :eyebrows:

None whatsoever!

GuitarX
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
None whatsoever!

Well if you're not working let's plan something. PM coming your way Sir!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Oh, so, like, is this another one of those private rides only the A-list celebraties and free Ninja winners get to participate in...... :)

BC14
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Oh, so, like, is this another one of those private rides only the A-list celebraties and free Ninja winners get to participate in...... :)
:violin:

GuitarX
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM

If Paris Hilton doesn't show up Frank, you'll be invited but you'll have to wear her pink leathers. Don't worry, I just want to plan the ride first. Then I'll give you the details. :slap:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
If Paris Hilton doesn't show up Frank, you'll be invited but you'll have to wear her pink leathers. Don't worry, I just want to plan the ride first. Then I'll give you the details. :slap:
Believe me, you DON'T want to see my scruffy ass in pink leathers. Although, I might just be able to borrow Spooph's pink tutu for the occasion...... :)

BC14
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
:puke:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 21st, 2011, 11:06 PM
:puke:
I'll remember to wear it JUST for you Erik! :)

GuitarX
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Believe me, you DON'T want to see my scruffy ass in pink leathers. Although, I might just be able to borrow Spooph's pink tutu for the occasion...... :)

Ha! Frank, I don't want to see your scruffy ass PERIOD. :poo:

On a more pleasant note:

More videos from yesterday's after-work ride:

67 From Sedalia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3M588LJ68

67 To Sedalia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faVMFSIaraA

105 Morsels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9FaLcUS1e4

Sean
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
I was just thinking of some other review options for you. Feel free to try or ignore any of these thoughts. After reading about the bike riding 2-up, what other facets of riding can be beneficial to know. Here are just some random thoughts:

1. Take it to a track day. Even if you don't want to/can't ride, find someone who can. All of the MRA guys are super cool and might be willing to take it out for a couple of laps. eEspeccially if you brought them some beer. Rybo may be able to help you set something like that up? Then you are getting good track feedback from good riders.

2. hit up the wheelie warriors section and see if they'd spend 15 with the bike doing stoppies, rolling burnouts and wheelies. Just to see how it reacts and handles (easy stuff, so they don't dump it).

3. take it up to Bandemire on a test and tune night to see what the does in the 1/4 with an average person riding. Or try and get one of the seasoned guys to take a run for ya.

5. have you taken it on any forest service roads? For example, the Buell Ulysses is pretty comfortable on gravel roads, is the Ninja 1000?

Just some ideas. Keep doing what you're doing, these are just random thoughts.

CaneZach
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Well if you're not working let's plan something. PM coming your way Sir!

Back atcha!

GuitarX
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sean said: I was just thinking of some other review options for you. Feel free to try or ignore any of these thoughts. After reading about the bike riding 2-up, what other facets of riding can be beneficial to know. Here are just some random thoughts:

>>> Sean, thanks for taking the time to write this up!!!

1. Take it to a track day. Even if you don't want to/can't ride, find someone who can. All of the MRA guys are super cool and might be willing to take it out for a couple of laps. eEspeccially if you brought them some beer. Rybo may be able to help you set something like that up? Then you are getting good track feedback from good riders.

>>> Actually, part of the CW/Kawasaki deal is no one else rides the bike but me. Anyway, why would I want anyone else to ride it at a track day but myself? I've done plenty of track days in the past and want to start doing it again. I want all the fun dammit! I was actually hoping to do Chicane this weekend but Dainese screwed me and I have no clue as to when my leathers will be in. 303 is ignoring my pleas for status updates at this point. ;)

I WILL be at STAR School so Dainese better get their lazy spaghetti-slurping hairy Italian asses to work. Can you tell I formed my opinion of Italians via Cycle Monkey? :silly:

2. hit up the wheelie warriors section and see if they'd spend 15 with the bike doing stoppies, rolling burnouts and wheelies. Just to see how it reacts and handles (easy stuff, so they don't dump it).

>>> Er...no. I'm guessing you're not serious here.

3. take it up to Bandemire on a test and tune night to see what the does in the 1/4 with an average person riding. Or try and get one of the seasoned guys to take a run for ya.

>>> To be honest, I could care less about straight-line runs. The fun of a good-handling motorcycle is in the twisties and that's where this bike belongs. I have no desire to roast the clutch just to go fast in a straight line.

5. have you taken it on any forest service roads? For example, the Buell Ulysses is pretty comfortable on gravel roads, is the Ninja 1000?

>>> Read my 6/21 blog as soon as it posts on the Cycle World site. I have no interest in testing the adventure-touring capabilities of a street/sport bike. I'm not a dirt guy, just loooove the twisties. That's where this Ninja will stay.

>>> Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm sorry that I'm not into all that but you never know when we'll hit on something that sounds good.

BC14
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sean said: I was just thinking of some other review options for you. Feel free to try or ignore any of these thoughts. After reading about the bike riding 2-up, what other facets of riding can be beneficial to know. Here are just some random thoughts:

>>> Sean, thanks for taking the time to write this up!!!

>>> Actually, part of the CW/Kawasaki deal is no one else rides the bike but me. Anyway, why would I want anyone else to ride it at a track day but myself? I've done plenty of track days in the past and want to start doing it again. I want all the fun dammit! I was actually hoping to do Chicane this weekend but Dainese screwed me and I have no clue as to when my leathers will be in. 303 is ignoring my pleas for status updates at this point. ;)

I WILL be at STAR School so Dainese better get their lazy spaghetti-slurping hairy Italian asses to work. Can you tell I formed my opinion of Italians via Cycle Monkey? :silly:

>>> To be honest, I could care less about straight-line runs. The fun of a good-handling motorcycle is in the twisties and that's where this bike belongs. I have no desire to roast the clutch just to go fast in a straight line.

>>> Read my 6/21 blog as soon as it posts on the Cycle World site. I have no interest in testing the adventure-touring capabilities of a street/sport bike. I'm not a dirt guy, just loooove the twisties. That's where this Ninja will stay.

>>> Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm sorry that I'm not into all that but you never know when we'll hit on something that sounds good.
Agreed with all, Gary. I think your blog entries are exactly what Cycle World is looking for. They are tailored to the bike's demographic perfectly, imo.

GuitarX
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Agreed with all, Gary. I think your blog entries are exactly what Cycle World is looking for. They are tailored to the bike's demographic perfectly, imo.

Danke Schoen mi amigo! :cheers:

I was just hoping it would be more interactive and people interested in the bike would ask me questions that would spur ideas for the blogs. So far, I've just had to think of my own boring stuff.

Sean
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM

>>> Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm sorry that I'm not into all that but you never know when we'll hit on something that sounds good.- didn't know that you were the only one that could ride the bike. I was serious about stunting and 1/4 mile track, not that it's something that you are into personally, just to show the versatility/options of the bike. Again, I was just kicking around ideas. I must have missed the 6/21 post talking about adv-touring. Like I said, just ideas. I'm glad you are just enjoying the bike. If I think of any other off-the-wall ideas, I'll be sure to post. :silly:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hey Gary, maybe you should bash the top of the tank in for doin' "high-chairs", and throw a 12 o'clock bar and some "stunnaz" cages on that bad boy, and furr the bike out with some zebra-skin. That'd be fly, yo!

Yeaaaaahh, I can't really see the "stunnaz" flocking to it......just sayin'..... :)

GuitarX
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Gary, maybe you should bash the top of the tank in for doin' "high-chairs", and throw a 12 o'clock bar and some "stunnaz" cages on that bad boy, and furr the bike out with some zebra-skin. That'd be fly, yo!

Yeaaaaahh, I can't really see the "stunnaz" flocking to it......just sayin'..... :)

LOL, I was thinking of those exact mods... You must be a mind reader! I'm sure Cycle World and Kawasaki would approve.

GuitarX
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
- didn't know that you were the only one that could ride the bike. I was serious about stunting and 1/4 mile track, not that it's something that you are into personally, just to show the versatility/options of the bike. Again, I was just kicking around ideas. I must have missed the 6/21 post talking about adv-touring. Like I said, just ideas. I'm glad you are just enjoying the bike. If I think of any other off-the-wall ideas, I'll be sure to post. :silly:

Thanks Sean, I definitely appreciate the ideas. I wasn't trying to belittle them at all. Well, except maybe having a bunch of squids popping wheelies and stoppies on a bike I'm responsible for... :o :D

BC14
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks Sean, I definitely appreciate the ideas. I wasn't trying to belittle them at all. Well, except maybe having a bunch of squids popping wheelies and stoppies on a bike I'm responsible for... :o :D
Some people just have different ideas of "fun", I suppose. I must be getting old, because none of that sounds like a good time to me :p

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Some people just have different ideas of "fun", I suppose. I must be getting old, because none of that sounds like a good time to me :p
Awwww, come on, that'd be GREAT fun!.........(on someone ELSE'S bike)....... :)

GuitarX
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM

Believe me, you're not getting old. If YOU'RE old then Frank must be Methuselah. :viking:

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 12:12 AM
A few more videos on board the Kawi Ninja 1000. This time chasing CaneZach and Sully around Golden Gate, Peak to Peak, and 7 (Lyons side). :bananna:

Golden Gate Canyon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSE_4YsVKM

119 and Peak to Peak Hwy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlWCoJ8m8Y

Hwy 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Qj-ittIoU

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Hmmm...I liked the dirty idea, actually ;)

I know the Zed is easy to handle on dirt, as long as I'm standing up, which can tend to wear me down quickly because it is like a workout. So, I would be curious how the Ninja could handle an easy dirt ride like the one I just did on Sunday up Guanella.

I think I'd want to know how it feels suspension-wise. Dunno if I said the right thing there, since I'm thinking car and not bike.

Anyhoo...Gary, I'll begin wracking the cobwebby knoggin for some ideas for ya :)

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks Cathy. I never rode dirt as a kid or an adult and don't think I should start now with a bike that doesn't belong to me. ;) I'm sure it would do as well on a fire road as any other 500 lb sportbike. Maybe even a little better since it has the upright riding position and nice thick rubber doodads on the pegs.

Sully
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 09:50 AM
A few more videos on board the Kawi Ninja 1000. This time chasing CaneZach and Sully around Golden Gate, Peak to Peak, and 7 (Lyons side). :bananna:

Golden Gate Canyon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSE_4YsVKM

119 and Peak to Peak Hwy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlWCoJ8m8Y

Hwy 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Qj-ittIoU

That was fun.. the speed limit the whole time! :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Believe me, you're not getting old. If YOU'RE old then Frank must be Methuselah. :viking:
They just called me "Meth" for short!8)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
keep up the good work...hopefully you'll be the best representative out of the group of winners and they'll just give you the bike at the end, for being so damn bad-a$$.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
That was fun.. the speed limit the whole time! :D

Of course Sully. I never speed and would never ride with any of the scofflaws on this forum. :devil1: :loop: :angel: :cheers:

keep up the good work...hopefully you'll be the best representative out of the group of winners and they'll just give you the bike at the end, for being so damn bad-a$$.

Ha! Wouldn't that be sweet? Track bike!!!

Snowman
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Of course Sully. I never speed and would never ride with any of the scofflaws on this forum. :devil1: :loop: :angel: :cheers:
!Now I'm insulted... :)

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Now I'm insulted... :)

...says Scofflaw Numero Uno! :eyebrows:

Sully
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
That was when I thought I saw him going the other direction on P2P :hibye: ... He is such a :squid:

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
That was when I thought I saw him going the other direction on P2P :hibye: ... He is such a :squid:

Right, I remember that. Was that indeed Randall? I figured he'd be taking Saturday to get the bike ready for Chicane on Sunday?

Snowman
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Them evil clones are everywhere...

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Cathy. I never rode dirt as a kid or an adult and don't think I should start now with a bike that doesn't belong to me. ;) I'm sure it would do as well on a fire road as any other 500 lb sportbike. Maybe even a little better since it has the upright riding position and nice thick rubber doodads on the pegs.

Ummm...so if I told ya my first time on dirt ever in my whole life was on the Zed in 09 up Boreas Pass, you still wouldn't wanna try it out?

How 'bout the second time I was on dirt on the Zed -- up Rollins Pass...past YankeeDoodle Lake?

I know, I know...it's not your bike. Just sayin' you would get a good idea of the kind of control you have on that bike.

Oh and btw...are you sure it's 500 #s? That's heavier than the Zed by like 50 #s.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Ummm...so if I told ya my first time on dirt ever in my whole life was on the Zed in 09 up Boreas Pass, you still wouldn't wanna try it out?

How 'bout the second time I was on dirt on the Zed -- up Rollins Pass...past YankeeDoodle Lake?

I know, I know...it's not your bike. Just sayin' you would get a good idea of the kind of control you have on that bike.

Oh and btw...are you sure it's 500 #s? That's heavier than the Zed by like 50 #s.

No dirt for the N1K! At least not on purpose... :lol:

Yeah, it's 503 lbs but that's wet weight. The weight you're claiming for the Zed is probably dry weight so they're probably very similar wet. Manufacturers are just now trying their hands at a little honesty and giving true curb weights.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hmmm...you're a tough customer, Gary. More cobwebs need to be evacuated...lol.

I guess it's good manufacturers are coming clean. When I initially read up on my bike back in 06, the dry weight was about 427 #s. I tend to round off when I talk about the weight of my bike. It's still not too hard to ride it on dirt, but because it's not set up like a dual sport, or dirt bike, I know I'm taking my chances with things falling apart on it with all the jarring over washboardy roads, rocks, boulders, dips, and anything else you can think of that can be found on dirt roads.

It's good for me to know that I actually do have some sort of control over my bike, though. It gives me a better sense of what I am capable of...if that makes any sense.

I'm with everyone else who thinks your blog posts are top notch, too. Haven't been there in a week or so, either. I'm curious what the others are talking about.

Ghost
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Most manufacturers began switching to either "curb weight" or "ready to ride" weight around 2008-2009, and it's much more accurate than "Dry Weight" since what constituted "Dry" varied widely by manufacturer.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Most manufacturers began switching to either "curb weight" or "ready to ride" weight around 2008-2009, and it's much more accurate than "Dry Weight" since what constituted "Dry" varied widely by manufacturer.

Exactly. You never knew what fluids were included or not included, or if even the battery was part of the dry weight.

GuitarX
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hmmm...you're a tough customer, Gary. More cobwebs need to be evacuated...lol.

I'm with everyone else who thinks your blog posts are top notch, too. Haven't been there in a week or so, either. I'm curious what the others are talking about.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

GuitarX
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Looks like Motorcyclist declared the Ninja 1000 bike of the year! I feel privileged to have been able to test one out for a few months. I haven't been advertising it lately but I've still been blogging about the bike. If you feel like catching up, here's the link again:

BC14
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Looks like Motorcyclist declared the Ninja 1000 bike of the year! I feel privileged to have been able to test one out for a few months. I haven't been advertising it lately but I've still been blogging about the bike. If you feel like catching up, here's the link again:

More great blog entries, Gary. :)

aerofaze
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I've been reading your entries, Gary. You're one of the most consistent and interesting contributors, and I love how all your pictures contain people I know.

As for it being bike of the year, that's gotta make you feel good that you've been riding a free one. :)

GuitarX
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
More great blog entries, Gary. :)

I've been reading your entries, Gary. You're one of the most consistent and interesting contributors, and I love how all your pictures contain people I know.

As for it being bike of the year, that's gotta make you feel good that you've been riding a free one. :)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words. Sarah, we've got to get pics of you in there! :cheers:

Sean
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Good stuff! :up:

Gary, when does the it end? Just curious.

GuitarX
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Good stuff! :up:

Gary, when does the it end? Just curious.

I'm hoping they forget I have the bike Sean and then it'll never end!

I believe I received the bike on 5/25 or thereabouts so I've got it until about 8/25. At that point I can choose to buy or return it. So if anyone is interested in a super sweet bike for a nice discount...PM me. I'd love to see it stay in CO and keep enjoying the canyons. :-)

Trainwreck
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Awesome! hope you have a great time on it. I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

BC14
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm hoping they forget I have the bike Sean and then it'll never end!

I believe I received the bike on 5/25 or thereabouts so I've got it until about 8/25. At that point I can choose to buy or return it. So if anyone is interested in a super sweet bike for a nice discount...PM me. I'd love to see it stay in CO and keep enjoying the canyons. :-)
Did they send you a new registration? And I'd love to buy it from you/them, as I know how you've taken care of it, but sadly I can't get another bike ATM.