PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Jeep Wrangler

675Rider
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Anyone tow with their Wrangler any? I currently have a Silverado but may trade in on a Wrangler. I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer I pull to track days and am wondering how a Wrangler would do. All together I figure it weighs around 1600lbs. Thought I may have to get a 4x8 utility trailer to take its place if I get a Jeep. Thanks!

rybo
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I used to tow a 18' ski boat with a CJ7, no problem there.

The short wheelbase of the jeep means you have to stay alert, but as long as you do that you shouldn't have any problem.

s

Rooster
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
i got a 00 sport wrangler. i dont have any problems at all with mine. it even rides better with a load behind it. mine loses allot of power when towing though. but then again i got 35's and stock gears in her. lol.

Matthewop
Tue May 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
i have never used it...have no idea!

kevplus2
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM
i often towed a couple bikes on a 5X8 utility trailer with my tj. like rooster said, the lift and 35's kept things interesting, but not too bad

i wouldnt try a long haul, but in-state/around town was fine

fiveninerzero
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
If I could tow 2 bikes and all associated race day gear in my 2.0 L 4 cyl car, then yes, you will be fine in your Wrangler. What does your owner's manual say anyways?

Wrider
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:25 AM
You'll be fine, especially if you get the 4.0 in it. We used to tow a very heavily laden pop-up camper, with three adults in the vehicle and the vehicle itself laden down in a 4.0 Grand Cherokee and it did just fine. (Well until you got to a steep hill haha)

FZRguy
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:28 AM
My Wrangler is the 4 cyl 2.5L.....don't buy one with that motor.

dragos13
Wed May 25th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Definitely get a Wrangler with the 4.0L straight 6 and 5 speed transmission. I only tow my jet ski's around but it does fine. Not to mention she is a blast on the trails :)

675Rider
Wed May 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
So none of you guys think I will have an issue with the enclosed trailer? Or should I plan on getting a open utility trailer?

Also is there a better model year that others? I will be buying/trading used around $10,000.

dragos13
Wed May 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
In 2006 they started running the 3.8L motor which I have only heard bad things about. I spent about 3 months searching for a Wrangler until I found the one I wanted. Eventually, I started getting picky and decided I wanted a Sahara edition. Honestly, it was just for the interior and outside paint color. Pretty much everything else is the same. Make sure its not an auto. Also, look around A LOT to find a clean one. The Wrangler I bought came straight from Texas and was traded in immediately. I checked out another Sahara that had 30,000 less miles but was extremely rusted up on the bottom and lots of dents. You could tell it was a Colorado vehicle. So, in short, get something 97-05. That will be a TJ model. Pre 97 (I think) is the CJ which has leaf springs instead of coils. Pre 91 and you start running into carbs instead of fuel injection. Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Graphite675
Wed May 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I don't have any personal experiance towing with a jeep but I think just about any vehicle (truck/suv) can pull the trailer. Will it pull it well? Probably not would be my guess. Especially a enclosed trailer. The wind resistance alone will be quite a stain on a small vehicle like a jeep. There is just no mass to a jeep and I would think a enclosed trailer would pull that thing all over the road if it was windy etc. Going up hills will be no fun either.

I have a 8x10 enclosed and was pulling it with a 06' Toyota Tundra with a 4.3 liter v8. It pulled it but I could really feel the trailer back there. I traded it for a full size Ford and that pulls it much better.

So yes, I'm sure it will pull it but I bet it won't be any fun.

dallas
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
When the manufacture rates a vehicle for towing, it isn't about how much it can pull, but how much it can stop. The TJ model Wrangler is rated for 2000 lbs regardless of engine size. I had a 99 TJ with the straight 6 and 5 speed manual and used to pull a little 4 x 8 Harbor Freight trailer or an 18' aluminum boat all the time. Didn't seem to have any trouble with either one, but I wouldn't pull anything that was close to 2000 lbs very often. Just my opinion.

modette99
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I tow a Kendon trailer with two street bikes behind my Focus across country when we moved out here in 2007. It did just fine, I got 23mpg, then next day we put it behind the Wifes vehicle (07 Ford Edge AWD) and the Edge got 14-15mpg.

People are always shocked that I tow with a Focus...not sure why. I've seen crazier stuff then that in MI...once a 20' ski boat behind a Geo Metro. I will admit the Jeep GC 5.7L does not even slow down going up hills....so yeah it works better...but doe snot mean you can't with a smaller vehicle.

The easy thing to do is try it, and see.