PDA

View Full Version : Copper Thieves Nailed!!!

The Black Knight
Tue May 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/POLICE_DUI_Stop_Leads_to_2_Metal_Theft_Suspects_12 2530454.html

Finally, looks like they caught these jackasses. And this is a good thing because not only were they costing private businesses money, they were also costing "YOU" the "TAX PAYER" money as well. My district has lost a total of 30 backflows over this past Winter. The rest of the City P&R Dept, has lost about 30 as well over the winter.

At a cost of $300-$500 for smaller devices and $1000+ for larger devices, the cost to replace them comes as a cost to Taxpayers. Because the Parks Dept, has to replace them in order to get the irrigation systems up and running. So each time these dipshits take a backflow from Public Property it cost the Public money.

And those are just the costs in parts, we aren't talking labor. A regular 2" backflow when it's all said and done can be close to $3000 to replace, when you add up the Backflow device, parts to rebuild the rest of the copper, concrete and cages to go over the backflows(which aren't always theft proof, as they have ripped out or cut our cages off as well), and labor to install everything, it really adds up.

So if you see people taking copper or backflows report their ass. Especially if it's City property, because in the end, the cost always comes back to the tax payer.

Captain Obvious
Tue May 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thefts cost and estimated $150,000. Arrest thanks to a traffic stop, not too shabby.

Sarge
Tue May 24th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for that, Captain Obvious....

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:)

sbcathey
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wonder if these are the idiots that stole several condensers out of our buildings A/C's?? Cost thousands.
Scott

Captain Obvious
Tue May 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for that, Captain Obvious....

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:)

:) No worries, I set em up.....

Rhino
Tue May 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I still like the stories where they break into a power substation and become crispy critters.

I can't remember how many houses I've had to repipe over the last few years for what amounts to $30 in scrap.

Wrider
Tue May 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I still like the stories where they break into a power substation and become crispy critters.

I can't remember how many houses I've had to repipe over the last few years for what amounts to $30 in scrap.

Down the street there was a house that was being rented out... The renters took every piece of metal they could out of the house, electrical wiring, plumbing, EVERYTHING. The entire house had to be rewired and replumbed from scratch, then new walls put in, new carpeting, paint, yard, roof, the works.