PDA

View Full Version : need help swaping a chain

chad23
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
i need help removing my chain and replacing it with a new one. I have the chain but i do not have the the tools or know how. So does anyone want to come over and help me out?
please and thanks
pm or call me seven 20-300-6890

OUTLAWD
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
yo...you got a dremel and/or grinder?

I gotsa a chain tool. Its a rivet kind, right?

chad23
Tue May 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
i do have a dremel and a grinder. and yes it is rivet . call me when you get time

Fly boy
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
shoot RYBO a PM.

chad23
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
rybo is a rockstar, he has helped me a ton.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I've also got a really nice DID chain breaker/swager (and have used it a couple times on the Gixxer (530). And, I'll be up in the Loveland area on Thursday anyway. Let me know bro.

Captain Obvious
Wed May 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Just don't lube it with the bike in gear, we have all seen those pictures.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Hit Harbor Freight. They've got chain breakers for less than $10

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hit Harbor Freight. They've got chain breakers for less than $10
Yeah, but in that case, you definately get what you pay for. Mine was a DID unit that cost me about $140, excellent quality, and it looks made to do it all day long, every day, forever. Would you want to risk throwing a chain at 100+ because you bought a cheap chain tool? Not me.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
^^If you're breaking the chain, what does it matter?

rybo
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:34 AM
^^If you're breaking the chain, what does it matter?

It's the re-staking the pin that's the important part. Shit, use a hammer and a center punch to take the old one apart...who cares?

But for putting one back together with a proper rivet link, the proper tool is the way to go. FWIW I also have the DID unit and have used the RK unit as well. Both are excellent tools that do the job they're designed to do.

Chad, it looks like you have this covered, but if not you have my number.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
It's the re-staking the pin that's the important part. Shit, use a hammer and a center punch to take the old one apart...who cares?

But for putting one back together with a proper rivet link, the proper tool is the way to go. FWIW I also have the DID unit and have used the RK unit as well. Both are excellent tools that do the job they're designed to do.

Chad, it looks like you have this covered, but if not you have my number.
Exactly! ;)

Sean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Stop on over! I've got a hammer, screwdrivers, duct tape and some beer, we'll figure it out. :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Stop on over! I've got a hammer, screwdrivers, duct tape and some beer, we'll figure it out. :up:
Hammer and screwdrivers to take the chain off, and duct tape to hold the new one together, nice!

Sean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
<-----problem solver :hump:

chad23
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
thanks for the offer to help and the some what good ideas. Dave is going to come over tomorrow and help out.
Scott i do want to get with you at the track and get the suspension dialed in. Let me know when you have some time.