PDA

View Full Version : Driver tries to run over biker (AKA: Redneck tries to kill motorcyclist)

vort3xr6
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
http://youtu.be/CbTZkZTYkaM

what would you do? This personally makes me want to carry while riding. The minute he came at me with a crow bar there would be 2 in the chest and 1 in the head.

Devaclis
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
dead him

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Considering he was already attempting to kill you with the truck, I think you'd be pretty justified in killing him in self defense.

If it went to trial I think the video would support your case.

And, this is why riding solo sucks, at least he had his buddy with the camera.

I'd like to know what/if anything ever happened with the truck driver, but I'm assuming nothing...

av8tor75
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for ruining my morning. I was dumb and happy with thoughts of the world being a perfect place and having high hopes for humanity. Just another example that shows most riders have a level head and are just enjoying life. :banghead:

Finklestein87
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
:drink:Crazy ass driver...and he had a big ass ATV in the back...

Vellos
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Some guy in a van did the same thing to me, except I was passing legally in another lane on the right. After I got around him I tried to look back at his license plate, but he started accelerating at me (80+ mph in a 55) so I just took off.

Cap'n Crunch
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I've seen something simular happen here on squal pass. Makes you definately think about carrying or at least getting a go-pro.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I've typed and deleted a dozen comments. Anger cannot be expressed in words

dragos13
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think you'd be justified in shooting the guy when the three were stopped at the stop sign but the dude is definitely a grade a dbag.

I've had stuff happen like that in the mountains. Not to justify the driver in any way, the riders were passing on a double yellow and probably going above the speed limit. This usually (along with acts of other riders) makes some drivers angry before anything ever happens. So when someone does make an illegal pass, they take out all the aggression on that one rider. Luckily the guy in the truck didn't hit head on with a van full of kids or another biker.

Hopefully the cops came and tossed his ass in jail.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I've typed and deleted a dozen comments. Anger cannot be expressed in wordsMe too. This happened to Kim on C-470 at 1:00a.m. and typing just doesn't do any justice!!!! I thought I was going to watch my wife be killed!!

Vellos
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cars get butt-hurt over passing on the double-yellow and their only justification is that it's illegal. I'm sure we all know that passing in a corner is crazy, but the acceleration and deceleration of our machines makes it perfectly safe to pass on some of the short straights.

vort3xr6
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Couple of those blind crests where he was in the oncoming lane was getting my blood movin. If he would have hit a biker, I doubt he would have stopped.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Cars get butt-hurt over passing on the double-yellow and their only justification is that it's illegal. I'm sure we all know that passing in a corner is crazy, but the acceleration and deceleration of our machines makes it perfectly safe to pass on some of the short straights.I guess I got old because I'm embarrassed to pass on the double yellow and won't do it any more. It just looks too bad, regardless of how easy our bikes can make the pass.

CaneZach
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Considering he was already attempting to kill you with the truck, I think you'd be pretty justified in killing him in self defense.

If it went to trial I think the video would support your case.

And, this is why riding solo sucks, at least he had his buddy with the camera.

I'd like to know what/if anything ever happened with the truck driver, but I'm assuming nothing...

Not necessarily. An attorney will argue he's no longer a threat once you've gotten around him and are way ahead of him. Fortunately, that changes once the idiot decides he needs to chase the rider and take a tire iron out of his truck because he now has what can be considered a deadly weapon.

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Not necessarily. An attorney will argue he's no longer a threat once you've gotten around him and are way ahead of him. Fortunately, that changes once the idiot decides he needs to chase the rider and take a tire iron out of his truck because he now has what can be considered a deadly weapon.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant, the actions in the truck backed up by his coming at you with a crow bar pretty much show his intent to do bodily harm, and I think "I was in fear for my life" would be unquestionable at that point.

And, as cops often like to point out, trying to ram someone with a vehicle IS also use of a deadly weapon (or so COPS has taught me).

Vellos
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I guess I got old because I'm embarrassed to pass on the double yellow and won't do it any more. It just looks too bad, regardless of how easy our bikes can make the pass.

Well there are passing sections on mountain roads where it is visible and long enough for an average car to make a complete pass. But with sportbikes we are capable of much shorter distances to pass within the same safety margins as the car's passing zone. This is all more to the point - what is it that cars want? So they don't want bikes to exceed some laws that are based on the ability of cars. But I'm sure we've all got flack at some point for taking up a parking space. It just seems like selfishness and envy to me.

Semi-trucks are much less capable than cars on the road. They typically have lower speed limits and sometimes are not allowed to pass even on a four-lane section. And if cars are less capable than most motorcycles why are we in the same bracket as them? I would like to see an interstate road say "Trucks: 45 mph, Cars: 65 mph, Bikes: 75 mph".

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Well there are passing sections on mountain roads where it is visible and long enough for an average car to make a complete pass. But with sportbikes we are capable of much shorter distances to pass within the same safety margins as the car's passing zone. This is all more to the point - what is it that cars want? So they don't want bikes to exceed some laws that are based on the ability of cars. But I'm sure we've all got flack at some point for taking up a parking space. It just seems like selfishness and envy to me.

Semi-trucks are much less capable than cars on the road. They typically have lower speed limits and sometimes are not allowed to pass even on a four-lane section. And if cars are less capable than most motorcycles why are we in the same bracket as them? I would like to see an interstate road say "Trucks: 45 mph, Cars: 65 mph, Bikes: 75 mph".I would like to see "motorcycle only" passing areas. A different stripe pattern or something where motorcycles are allowed to pass when cars can't.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
for 90% of this video, you can't even see the first rider.

I love people for whom the logic "I'm so angry at you passing me that I can justify ending your life" applies. Die in a fire.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
This reminds me of what a woman in a white Ford pickup did to Pilot when he, Sortarican, and I went for a ride about 4 years ago. Only, this is worse and at higher speed. This is attempted murder and mutiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon. This happened in Bracken County Kentucky, and it's a red Ford extended cab F150 with the license plate: "369 DIR" from what the guy said on the video. Too bad either guy didn't have a concealed carry license and when the redneck jumped out of the cab with that club, shot him dead. Hope some motorcyclist shotts this fuck dead before he kills one of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM

dallas
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
This reminds me of......................
This reminds me of this post.........

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39975

vort3xr6
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Ninja'd.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ninja'd.
Totally.......:banghead:

BUT.....I did get his plate and desc of the truck. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM
This happened in Bracken County Kentucky, and it's a red Ford extended cab F150 with the license plate: "369 DIR" from what the guy said on the video. I hope he does that again to some other motorcyclist and gets shot dead before he can kill someone.

The more I see shit like this the more:
1. I want a GoPro recording every minute of every ride.
2. I want a CCW and model 1911.
3. I want to make a website posting these videos with the plate and vehicle description along with the guy's home address and phone #. you know, just in case anyone wants to stop by and show him some love. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Semi-trucks are much less capable than cars on the road. They typically have lower speed limits and sometimes are not allowed to pass even on a four-lane section. And if cars are less capable than most motorcycles why are we in the same bracket as them? I would like to see an interstate road say "Trucks: 45 mph, Cars: 65 mph, Bikes: 75 mph".
A lot of hwy's HAVE 55mph or 65mph limits for trucks, and forbids them in the left lane except for passing.

puckstr
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I carry...everytime. I have never seen this video and tonight I am mounting my gopro to the VFR.

For those of you that are against firearms there is always INFERNO. :)
http://www.coldsteel.com/pepper-spray.html
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/csstoreonline/Inferno-Pepper-Spray-Xlink.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think you'd be justified in shooting the guy when the three were stopped at the stop sign but the dude is definitely a grade a dbag.

I've had stuff happen like that in the mountains. Not to justify the driver in any way, the riders were passing on a double yellow and probably going above the speed limit. This usually (along with acts of other riders) makes some drivers angry before anything ever happens. So when someone does make an illegal pass, they take out all the aggression on that one rider. Luckily the guy in the truck didn't hit head on with a van full of kids or another biker.

Hopefully the cops came and tossed his ass in jail.
The guy jumped out all hostile with a tire iron, I'd say that's justification for fearing for your life and shooting him dead.

dragos13
Wed May 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
The guy jumped out all hostile with a tire iron, I'd say that's justification for fearing for your life and shooting him dead.

Shooting someone is the VERY last defense. Not the first reaction.

You have to remain calm when carrying and blasting a guy in the face just because he has a crow bar isn't justified in my opinion. If he was charging towards the guy with the crow bar raised, maybe, but the video leads me to think no ones life was in danger (except for when the truck swerved at the bike).

McVaaahhh
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Illegal actions witnessed by one party do not grant that party the right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Yes, the bike passed on the double yellow and committed and traffic violation. If it pissed the driver off so much he should have written down the plate # of the motorcycle and called the police, end of story.

Anyway, I think the jackass in the pickup will enjoy his stay in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

McVaaahhh
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
On the plus side of moving to Arizona is the laws regarding carrying of firearms are pretty liberal. As in, any place, any time, anywhere.

CaneZach
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM

You have to remain calm when carrying and blasting a guy in the face just because he has a crow bar isn't justified in my opinion. If he was charging towards the guy with the crow bar raised, maybe, but the video leads me to think no ones life was in danger (except for when the truck swerved at the bike).

Agreed, and it's how I should have phrased it in my previous post. Once the guy arms himself, he has the means (the tire iron) and ability (looks like he's young, in decent shape, physically capable, etc., as opposed to a 75 y/o man on oxygen and confined to a wheelchair), but he lacks opportunity. He doesn't advance on either rider, raise the crowbar to strike, assume a combative stance or make any other aggressive action that would lead someone to believe he was a threat to anyone.

Granted, it's a fluid situation that could change in a split-second, but until he has the opportunity to injure or kill someone, the justification to shoot just isn't there. With all that said, it would be up to the DA to seek prosecution, and then a jury to convict, if a shooting did take place.

TFOGGuys
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
If Bubba had pulled that crowbar out on me, he'd have either been leaking profusely, or ended up looking like a human popsicle...

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
If Bubba had pulled that crowbar out on me, he'd have either been leaking profusely, or ended up looking like a human popsicle...

Never bring a tire iron to a gun fight? :)

bornwildnfree
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Well, that's what hydroshocks are for.

Spiderman
Wed May 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Moved to correct forum (Non-Bike Discussion?!? Really??? :wtf: ) then merged with previous posting of the same video.

asp_125
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Note to self.. ride with GoPro.

That thought crosses my mind on some of our more spirited rides, where DYP's have been known to happen. The car being passed may not react to the first rider or two, but what if you're next in line to pass, or last in line and they snap and take it out on you?

I know motorcycles can pass easily in spots where cars can't and am I guilty of DYP, sure, but we just have to ride smart and think about where we pass. Never know if some cager will go postal on you, your buddy or GF back in the pack.

cptschlongenheimer
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
It astounds me how many people out there think misdemeanor traffic infraction justifies felony assault/menacing/attempted murder...

The real irony here is that we put up with people continuously cutting us off, turning in front of us, turning across our lane (on double lane turns), camping in the left lane, losing shit out the back of their pickups and on and on and on and most of the time the only reaction I've seen a biker give is a little wider space between them and the offender (and sometimes and outstretched finger)

Makes me wonder if riding a motorcycle somehow transforms us into better people.

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
It astounds me how many people out there think misdemeanor traffic infraction justifies felony assault/menacing/attempted murder...

The real irony here is that we put up with people continuously cutting us off, turning in front of us, turning across our lane (on double lane turns), camping in the left lane, losing shit out the back of their pickups and on and on and on and most of the time the only reaction I've seen a biker give is a little wider space between them and the offender (and sometimes and outstretched finger)

Makes me wonder if riding a motorcycle somehow transforms us into better people.

No, but unlike cagers, if you ride long enough you've probably lost friends, had them injured, and/or been injured yourself--so you know that a simple mistake can (literally) kill or maim you in a second.

If you've lived your entire life moving around inside a steel box, sitting on a power recliner while texting and eating, then you think you're invulnerable and that--despite OTHER people being killed in car accidents--you're perfectly safe no matter what happens.

So, we may not be better people, but we realize that fucking around and using your vehicle against someone--intentionally--is definitely not a game or a joke or a way to "teach" or "scare" or "get even" with someone.

We can be killed by complete and utter accident--we don't need someone out there actively *trying* to kill us...

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
That thought crosses my mind on some of our more spirited rides, where DYP's have been known to happen. The car being passed may not react to the first rider or two, but what if you're next in line to pass, or last in line and they snap and take it out on you?

I saw something like this happen in a group ride once. Two guys in the lead DYP'd a beater and I think the car didn't expect it because it jerked to the right (towards the shoulder). This apparently scared and angered the driver so when the next two went by he jerked his car to the left--towards the bikes.

It wasn't like in the video where he went all the way across the lane and tried to tree them, but he made it known that he was a dickhead looking to fuck with people.

I was in the back with two others, and we stayed behind him until he started playing brake-test with us and we did eventually DYP him on an uphill section.

BUT, while that was intentional, I've also seen a number of near-accidents when riders try to DYP and/or intersection-pass someone who's actually about to turn left.

There was a Jeep that had been slowing down and speeding up for what we thought was no reason other than to mess with us.

Turns out, he was looking for a pull-off/entrance to a gravel road/trail on the left and when he found it, his signal either didn't work or didn't come on, and so someone was going around to pass him just as he decided to brake and cut left--nearly clipping the rider in the process.

Essentially cars suck, they're half-blind, completely retarded and the drivers are all murderous assholes out to--literally--kill you, your girlfriend, your dog, and everyone else IF they can.

--That may not be the truth, but it's how I think about them when I'm riding, and it's better than putting your faith in them to NOT be murderous assholes.

vort3xr6
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I had a car open it's car door on me while lane splitting. They got a wonderful size 12 indent to compliment the styling of the vehicle after I swerved out of the way.

The only other time was when I was turning right and it was a double turn lane, the guy on the inside turned through both of them and pushed me into the dirt. I went up to his window and he was an old guy and he pulled a gun on me. So I just ran to my bike and peaced out. Wasn't going to die over some idiot.

Snowman
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Riders get ticketed for speeding and crossing a double yellow. (1:03)
The truck driver gets arrested for two counts of assault with a deadly weapon. (1:04 and 4:22)

This is a clear example of road rage. No amount of high speed riding down country roads deserves an attempt on your life. Especially in the case of 4:22. The on coming rider was in their lane and had nothing to do with the passing incident at 1:03. It was smart that the riders got his plate and called it in even with the driver standing there with a crow bar. Yes, he could have taken a swing at one of the riders, but there would have been no excuse to pull a gun until he did.

We are faced with this kind of rage everyday and it’s not necessarily directed at us. We are just the most visible target. This truck driver could have easily done this to a pass car in the same case.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I've been known to DYP, but I'm VERY cautious about it, and will always make sure I don't cut the guy off. If I have to pull a dick move to get by someone, I'll wait, miles if neccessasy, and I won;t ride their ass either. As a result, many times I have people actually pull right for me. But, I have zero tolerance for people who try and use their cages as weapons, and the law shouldn't either.

jbnwc
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Someone did that to my wife the first year she started riding and actually ran her off the road on 105. I didn't see it happen or I would've been facing murder charges. These asshats don't realize that the person under that helmet is someone's mom, dad, brother, sister, son, or daughter. Sick. just sick. Kudos to these two bikers for keeping their calm. They are better than me.

jbnwc
Wed May 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
It just seems like selfishness and envy to me.

Hit the nail on the head right there.

Ted
Wed May 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I've been known to DYP, but I'm VERY cautious about it, and will always make sure I don't cut the guy off. If I have to pull a dick move to get by someone, I'll wait, miles if neccessasy, and I won;t ride their ass either. As a result, many times I have people actually pull right for me. But, I have zero tolerance for people who try and use their cages as weapons, and the law shouldn't either.

+1

Couldn't have said it any better. Being very patient in such situations might just save the day !

madvlad
Wed May 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM
This video makes me angry in so many ways you have no idea... the first week I got my endorsement I bought my VFR800 from my dad's friend. So I'm on wadsworth and quincy just cruising the speed limit, next thing I know some jackass in a red ford ranger was riding my ass like crazy so I move lanes but he keeps following me, I'm starting to panic a little bit so I'm accelerating more than comfortably and headed down to the king soopers on Kipling and belleview while he still followed me very close. I pull in very quickly, got off my bike and gave him the ass kicking his mother never did... cops showed up but thankfully like 5 witnesses followed us and 1 got it on video and showed the cops so his ass got arrested while I went home.... alive.

Racz
Wed May 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Makes me sick i would not have been able to keep my cool at all. I have never seen this happen but it gives me a new perspective.

Ghost
Wed May 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Speculation aside, anyone on any other forums and/or Google this to see if it's made the papers or if the cops ever did show up or do anything?

Swift
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
You guys need to read the comments. According the original poster of the vid on youtube, it is LEGAL to pass on double solid yellows on those kinds of roads in that state. The law down there allows for you to pass regardless of striping in a safe manner. Because you couldn't prove the speeds that were being achieved during the video, I'd say the rider was 100% in the right by passing the slower vehicle.

Now, as for the assfuck in the truck, I'd shove a pineapple straight up his ass and feed him to a couple hungry lions. Can you say "Banzai Burger"? :P

madvlad
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Banzai burger lol... all in all the guy in the truck needs to be put in jail for attempted murder, that was beyond ridiculous and in no way acceptable... I would've lit that piece of shit quad along with the truck on fire lol

Ezzzzy1
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Its hard to put yourself in the shoes of the people that live on the roads we love carving down but if you think about it for a second (with a little different perspective) it would be hard to have packs of bikes buzzing past you 10 times a week... Im not saying that this guy in the truck is right, or the fluck sticks that were mad at us last weekend but I can imagine how pissed I would get knowing that my family and friends were driving down the same roads.

Also, I know its a shocker, there are a lot of shit head riders out there that dont know the right way to ride the wrong right way. lol.

OUTLAWD
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM
not quite sure what is wrong with everyone...first reaction is shooting the guy, really!? If he actually hit rider 1, then by all means, game on, but as a first reaction...no

I am by no means a large guy, or a violent person, but if someone pulled a stunt like that on me or a friend, I would be more than happy to pull off the road and give 'em what for. Tire iron or not, I'm thinking adrenaline might be on my side, and the dbag would be eating pavement

TwistyRydr
Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM
:shock:OMFG that literally made me cringe as I'm dropping my jaw in disbelief. I get that the guy was butt hurt being passed or whatever, but damn.. seriously that was completely ridiculous how he was trying to plow the bike down! The crowbar was totally over the top.....I would've taken my helmet off and slung it straight into his face!!!!!!!! :cussing:

TwistyRydr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Someone did that to my wife the first year she started riding and actually ran her off the road on 105. I didn't see it happen or I would've been facing murder charges. These asshats don't realize that the person under that helmet is someone's mom, dad, brother, sister, son, or daughter. Sick. just sick. Kudos to these two bikers for keeping their calm. They are better than me.

:up:

zPurpleRoom
Thu May 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM

While I agree that shooting is the VERY last defense, there is a known fact called the 21 foot rule. This rule states that an average healthy human with a bladed weapon can charge from a standing position, cover a minimum of 21 feet, and kill an opponent in approx. 1.5 seconds. It is also known that (a person with reasonable marksmanship skills) takes approximately 1.5 seconds for the brain and body to perceive a threat, draw, aim, and fire a shot. Therefore, if an assailant is within 21 feet of you, you are in a life-threatening situation. In fact, most emergency responders extend that range to 30 ft. (I realize he had a tire iron in place of a bladed weapon but his ability to run is the same and the added length of the iron negates the extra weight in my opinion.)

The riders in this video are clearly in a life-threatening situation. At minimum, I would have drawn down on the cager while backing up to achieve a 30 foot safety zone and yelling commands that he drop his weapon.

I'm not an peace officer but I was a medic. I have seen first hand what a tire iron, baseball bat, and a golf club can do to someone. It is not pretty. So for those of you who say that a tire iron is no reason to fear for your life, ask a police officer, medic, or fireman.....see what their reaction would be.

Just my humble opinion. :dunno:

stubbicatt
Thu May 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Kee-ripes.

dragos13
Thu May 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
While I agree that shooting is the VERY last defense, there is a known fact called the 21 foot rule. This rule states that an average healthy human with a bladed weapon can charge from a standing position, cover a minimum of 21 feet, and kill an opponent in approx. 1.5 seconds. It is also known that (a person with reasonable marksmanship skills) takes approximately 1.5 seconds for the brain and body to perceive a threat, draw, aim, and fire a shot. Therefore, if an assailant is within 21 feet of you, you are in a life-threatening situation. In fact, most emergency responders extend that range to 30 ft. (I realize he had a tire iron in place of a bladed weapon but his ability to run is the same and the added length of the iron negates the extra weight in my opinion.)

The riders in this video are clearly in a life-threatening situation. At minimum, I would have drawn down on the cager while backing up to achieve a 30 foot safety zone and yelling commands that he drop his weapon.

I'm not an peace officer but I was a medic. I have seen first hand what a tire iron, baseball bat, and a golf club can do to someone. It is not pretty. So for those of you who say that a tire iron is no reason to fear for your life, ask a police officer, medic, or fireman.....see what their reaction would be.

Just my humble opinion. :dunno:

I have watched the videos several times and I never see a time that anyone is in a life threatening situation, aside from the truck swerving when he first made the pass. When the guy exits the vehicle he keeps the tire iron down to his side. He never raises it nor charges towards a rider. If one of the riders pulled a gun and opened fire, I don't think an entire jury could be convinced that it was necessary. Even if you elude criminal charges, you would still be facing civil lawsuits from the family.

As for drawning down on the driver, that would not be a good idea. I'm not sure if you carry, but I was taught you only remove your weapon when you have full intent of using it. It's not something you can "show" to scare people into submission. Pulling the gun out without shooting shows your life wasn't threatened, instead you were just using the image of force to gain an upper hand on the situation. Otherwise you should be firing to eliminate the threat.

ChrisCBX
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM
The most notable time this happened to us was on the Million Dollar Highway of all places. Guy in a New Mexico plated truck did the swerve over maneuver with no warning (on the first bike anyway). After the first bike went by, he then drove exactly like the guy in the video. Swerving all over and moving into the oncoming lane periodically. We weren't even riding fast. No way to know what (if anything) the guy was thinking.

The second most notable time it happened was near Mount Rushmore. Once again, with no warning indications that the driver was going to do it.

dirkterrell
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I have watched the videos several times and I never see a time that anyone is in a life threatening situation, aside from the truck swerving when he first made the pass. When the guy exits the vehicle he keeps the tire iron down to his side. He never raises it nor charges towards a rider. If one of the riders pulled a gun and opened fire, I don't think an entire jury could be convinced that it was necessary. Even if you elude criminal charges, you would still be facing civil lawsuits from the family.

As for drawning down on the driver, that would not be a good idea. I'm not sure if you carry, but I was taught you only remove your weapon when you have full intent of using it. It's not something you can "show" to scare people into submission. Pulling the gun out without shooting shows your life wasn't threatened, instead you were just using the image of force to gain an upper hand on the situation. Otherwise you should be firing to eliminate the threat.

This. I would not have drawn. That's not to say I wouldn't like to...

Slo
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
This has been talked about on the ZX forum. The guy riding/filming is stratszx10, I believe from what I read, his brother is the one being chased. He chimes in on post #11. Sucks, because he is trying to get this resolved the right way and the system so far is being lackadaisical.

You can bet if nothing gets resolved with the fella, this is a perfect example on why people start resolving things their own way.

Just because someone jay-walks in front of you, doesn't mean you go speeding after him trying to run him over. Same with this situation, if the guy in the truck would have ended up dying, I would have no remourse what so ever.

ZX THREAD (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103105)

Snowman
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the sheriff is going to nothing about this. Time to make this viral and get the press to notice...

Slo
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Sounds like the sheriff is going to nothing about this. Time to make this viral and get the press to notice...

+1 and somewhere, I "think" he mentioned he (driver of the truck) was active service. Which sucks since I am former military, but this drivers actions are inexcusible regardless of who he is.

av8tor75
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Hey here's an idea. This documentary that I'm doing talks about the challenges of street riding and how technology in the hands of inattentive drivers has increased. I say let's put this ass gasket on film! Thoughts? Many people will see this and the demeanor of the riders is perfect. Who owns this video and would they be willing to release it?

Slo
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I will pm him and let you know.... if he is ok with it, ill get you an email address.

edit - just pm'd him, will let you know his response.

av8tor75
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I will pm him and let you know.... if he is ok with it, ill get you an email address.

edit - just pm'd him, will let you know his response.

Awesome! You know, that's how that show "Cheaters" works. :)

The_Jackel
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
This is why 99% of the time I carry my concealed when riding. Its my life vs everyone else. Cheap insurance.

zPurpleRoom
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM

The sheer act of getting out of his vehicle with a tire iron is show of lethal force which turned it into a life-threading situation. Let me say that if I draw, I have every intention of using my weapon. However, by me giving him a chance to deescalate the situation, I believe it shows that I had no other choice. Police would do the same thing. I can guarantee that once he realized that I had a match for his weapon and he did not drop the tire iron, I would shoot to eliminate the threat.

Just curious.....if the drive had gotten out of his car with a knife to his side, would you perceive that as a threat?

dragos13
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Just curious.....if the drive had gotten out of his car with a knife to his side, would you perceive that as a threat?

That's a really good question. I guess I view the tire iron as a normal tool found in most vehicles. I would definitely view a knife as a threat but unless he shows intent of using it, I would have a hard time taking the guys life. I think if he acted the same way and kept it at his side, I would probably move to a safe distance and watch what his next step was. You can tell neither of the guys are afraid for their lives. The one guy stays sitting on his bike while the second guy walks about 10 feet away and calls the cops, while talking shit about how the driver will be going to jail. Not being there, it's hard to read his demeanor. I just know when I carry, I am very careful because drawing too soon can land you in prison. It's a major responsibility and requires great situational awareness. You can't "jump the gun" when it comes to drawing your weapon ;)

Snowman
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Hey here's an idea. This documentary that I'm doing talks about the challenges of street riding and how technology in the hands of inattentive drivers has increased. I say let's put this ass gasket on film! Thoughts? Many people will see this and the demeanor of the riders is perfect. Who owns this video and would they be willing to release it?Agreed, this is a good example of what we as motorcycle riders fear the most when it comes to other vehicles. Getting this footage in your film will get a message out there that this kind of behavior does go on. :up:

Slo
Thu May 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Awesome! You know, that's how that show "Cheaters" works. :)

I just PM'd you with his email, i didn't go into detail on what your doing so you can discuss it with him....

puckstr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM
It is spreading
http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?12459-KY-10-22-Riders-WARNING

puckstr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
OH and check this one out

WTF
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110513/NEWS03/110519957

Windham teen driver accused of deliberately hitting motorcyclist

zPurpleRoom
Thu May 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM
That's a really good question. I guess I view the tire iron as a normal tool found in most vehicles. I would definitely view a knife as a threat but unless he shows intent of using it, I would have a hard time taking the guys life. I think if he acted the same way and kept it at his side, I would probably move to a safe distance and watch what his next step was. You can tell neither of the guys are afraid for their lives. The one guy stays sitting on his bike while the second guy walks about 10 feet away and calls the cops, while talking shit about how the driver will be going to jail. Not being there, it's hard to read his demeanor. I just know when I carry, I am very careful because drawing too soon can land you in prison. It's a major responsibility and requires great situational awareness. You can't "jump the gun" when it comes to drawing your weapon ;)

I believe we just come from two different perspectives. I have seen a person turned into a veggie (and has since been taken off life support) from being hit with a tire iron. I have also been victim of an attempted stabbing when a happy-go-lucky intoxicated patient decided to unbuckle himself and present a knife in the back of a moving ambulance. Therefore, my experience has shown me what constitutes a lethal weapon and how quickly situations can change.

Taking note that a tire iron is a normal automobile tool found in most vehicles, we can both safely agree that the driver was not getting out of his truck to change a tire or replace a non-existent tube. As such, the driver's intention (by handling the iron and confronting a motorcycle rider whom he knows didn't have a weapon in hand while operating the rider's motorcycle) was much more sinister. So, the "common automobile tool" defense can be negated.

Just because the guys did not seem to fear for their lives doesn't mean they shouldn't have. Ignorance is bliss sometimes...I'm not calling them ignorant...maybe they just lacked the knowledge of imminent danger. That's why the law is written in a certain language. While you may not have been threatened....I know my life would have been.

I would agree that once you draw, the legal implications can be a daunting and and possibly an insurmountable task. I respect the fact that you would not draw and fire if someone got out of his vehicle with a seemingly innocent "tool". However, I would hope that you or anyone else reading my comments, carrying or not, will think twice about someone using aggressive force. What is in their hands? Are their hands lethal weapons? Are they chemically imbalanced? Too many questions to list.

BTW....I think we have thread-jacked this post and will entertain PM's or a different thread. :)

dragos13
Thu May 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
You're right about the thread jack. I do appreciate your opinion as we all view situations differently based on what we have experienced and how we have been raised. Your point about life threatening interactions is definitely valid. While the driver obviously isn't getting the tire iron out to change a flat, they could argue he was simply grabbing it for self defense since he was out numbered by the two bikers. He wasn't aggressive with it and made no advancement towards the riders. It's good no one in this video ended up dead based on everything that happened. I do strongly believe the driver of the truck needs some jail time and a suspended license at a minimum. He is lucky the rider swerved from the truck and he didn't make contact and bring him down, or have a head on collision with another vehicle. The driver would have NO defense for anything like that. Just another good reason to invest in a GoPro. You never know what could happen on any ride we take...

sag
Thu May 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM
ive been startled to shit by bikes when ive been driving and it makes me rage. except i just sit there and cuss like any normal human being.

Ghost
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hey here's an idea. This documentary that I'm doing talks about the challenges of street riding and how technology in the hands of inattentive drivers has increased. I say let's put this ass gasket on film! Thoughts? Many people will see this and the demeanor of the riders is perfect. Who owns this video and would they be willing to release it?

Definitely need this for the negative perceptions of riders, as well as the dangers posed to them.

-=-=-

As a reality check, when I sent this to non-riding friends/family, most of them seem to think the rider initiated/started/caused the incident by passing on the Double Yellow.

They don't go so far as to say the Driver was "justified", nor that the Rider "deserved" it, but it does go to show that to non-riders, WE are the cause of most problems--because, in their eyes, we're the ones breaking the law for the fun of it....

SO, while I fully believe this Driver was a complete fuckwad, and his reaction was totally uncalled for, I do have to admit that cagers view life completely differently than we do--in general and in particular when it comes to things like this...

MRA 32
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
My 2 cents: I have a permit to carry and I would not have drawn my weapon. I agree with Casey about how to handle the situation. Carrying a gun doesn't mean you use it whenever you feel threatened and you never look for a fight when you have a gun. Yes, that tire iron is a weapon and he should be feared, but I was taught that we should try everything possible to avoid this type of stuation. It's not the wild west and I don't take the law into my own hands.

It is ok to be angry at the driver cuz he is a dbag, but canyon carving at high speeds on a sport bike is being a dbag as well. I don't know how fast these riders were going but it looked a bit fast to me. This in no way is an excuse for the actions of the pick-up driver, but stop and think about it. How does the saying go "two wrongs don't make a right"

Be safe, Jeff

modette99
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Skip to 2:30...
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/eschan1/?action=view&current=Vid00012.mp4

Sarge
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Repost, and ninja'd already this week. :-p

vort3xr6
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq170/lineofidledays/ONTD/RepostGroundhogDay.png

modette99
Tue May 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Not a repost on the forums I am on so :-P I'll just go chat there then.

duelist13
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:40 AM
This comment caught my eye for the attempted murder video: "Just like many crotch rocket riders in CA they ride to offend. Shit the Harley riders have more respect to others than 98% of the rocket riders."

I know most of our fellow riders aren't out to offend (what an idiotic generalization on the commentator's part), but if I'm enjoying a brisk ride, I'm in and out quietly and without a fuss. That means stock exhaust, following at a respectful distance, then signaling/flashing to pass.

If I pass quickly or the car makes an attempt to help me out by getting out of the way, I try my best to get a hand up (tough now with a mangled shoulder) to signal, "thank you". It's not hard and it doesn't slow you down. Heck it puts a little smile on your face, especially when there are little kiddos in the car waving at you too!

To be honest, the main reason I don't like riding in groups is not because of rider related errors or the fear of snowballing. It's because I get tired of feeling sorry and getting yelled at by normal people for reckless deeds committed by some group members.

Remember, we're riding on public roads and it's a real gift to be able to do what we do here in Colorado (ask me how I know.. we'll start with Connecticut then move to New York).

I hope to see more smooth and responsible road riding :)

Vellos
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Dumb drivers are worse than angry ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRXC3j09vo

Sarge
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Holy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGBssAQsOsE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Spooph
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Repost?

Follow up:http://maysville-online.com/news/local/article_09e422b2-9214-11e0-acb7-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

So it looks like Youtube saves the day.... Cops took action in the end, and I guess it is illegal to cross the double yellow in KY...

McVaaahhh
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Win! :headbang:

Vellos
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think trying to run someone over is worse than crossing the lines when there is no oncoming traffic. :roll:

Mother Goose
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I give cagers a few turnouts before I decide to pass on a double yellow.

Bueller
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM
^^This here
Then drop 2 and rattle the windows.

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Just FYI, it is legal in the state of Kentucky to pass on a double yellow on those roads as long as there is no on-coming traffic. They passed that law because of the number of farm vehicles that travel those roads. The guy on the first bike was making a legal pass.

Swift
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
/\
http://staractoractress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tony-montana-scarface-say-hello-to-my-little-friend1.jpg

You guys need to read the comments. According the original poster of the vid on youtube, it is LEGAL to pass on double solid yellows on those kinds of roads in that state. The law down there allows for you to pass regardless of striping in a safe manner.

Vellos
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Legal pass minus the speed.

Swift
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 12:28 AM
No proof anyone was speeding during the over take...unless some hillbilly has a radar gun that just so happened to be clocking from his porch while drinking PBR and jammin to banjo tunes while sitting in his rocking chair.

Vellos
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:27 AM
We know the distance involved because we've mapped the Earth and two points on this road shouldn't be hard to find. We also know how long it is between those two distances because it has been recorded in real time. Soo...

Speed = Distance / Time.

I learnt this from...

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00082939/bill-nye-the-science-guy.jpg

WolFeYeZ
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 11:06 PM
So apparently the motorcyclists in the video were not really speeding. Occasionally they were going like 5 over max. Some dude knew the route and decided to test it out.

http://youtu.be/0fl-_dAKChc

Kinda looks like a fun road even.

Finklestein87
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
You are all fucking experts.

Swift
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/vermillioneyes/photos/FUNNY%20ASS%20PICTURES/1203043350081.jpg

Vellos
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
That guy can't hold a line. And caught behind a pickup going 35 afraid to pass fail.

fiveninerzero
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking about finding a bike mount for my .45 ACP

Slo
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
UPDATE (http://maysville-online.com/news/local/article_89a04436-95d4-11e0-8ef7-001cc4c002e0.html)

Spooph
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
It just keeps getting better.

bornwildnfree
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM
At least the cops finally did something.

dragos13
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
That kid looks like a chump. They should have just settled it in a nice little street-side fight...

Ricky
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Truck driver: "I've been drivin' these roads all my life". Literally, the entire 6 years he's been licensed to drive. Oh, and with a quad in the back.

Swift
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
They're looking it giving citations to the motorcyclist?! Fucking DUH...

Vellos
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Pretty sure the motorcycle wasn't being reckless with his pass, and the truck was going over that line many times in the middle of corners while chasing the bike. People are stupid...

Spooph
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
If I were that rider, I would easily take a ticket as long as the driver got thrown in jail...