PDA

View Full Version : need lube advice

cptschlongenheimer
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
(for locks you smart-asses)

I'm hoping you guys have some recommendations for lock lubricants. I noticed today that the ignition key cylinder on my r6 is getting a little stiff (insert joke here). I assume this is at least partially because of so much rain on it the last couple days.

I went rounds with the gas cap lock on my EX500 and never found anything that worked very well. Graphite lubes sometimes pack and solidify when they get wet and then dry out, and end up causing more problems than they solve. Oil based lubes just make a mess and only help for a day or two.

Anybody know of anything better? I'm reluctant to use graphite until I can say I tried everything else.

Thanks!
A

brennahm
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
White lithium grease works well, not permanently, but it'll never damage your stuff.

cptschlongenheimer
Wed May 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
thanks!
I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go.

Penadam
Wed May 25th, 2011, 08:19 PM
You can get it in an aerosole can (try autozone), which is great for getting into tight places. Giggity

kevplus2
Wed May 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
bike aid liquid graphite...all the benefits of graphite without th problems of powder

http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/logo/bikeaid.gif

rfranks303
Wed May 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Griphite lube is the best I have used it on residental lock for several years. I used it on the zx7 a few years ago and havn't had issues with it yet. Home depot, ace, hobby lobby, maybe 3 bucks a tube or can.

Wrider
Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yup, I'd recommend dry powder... Usually comes in a tube so you can shoot it where it needs to go... (giggity)

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Went with the lithium grease... So far, so good. Thanks again guys! If it seems to get washed out by the rain (although I've been doing my anti-rain dance nightly) I'll probably try the Dri Slide next.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Use Crisco, that shit works on everything!

JohnEffinK
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM

:lol:

Or hand lotion!

John

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM

:spit:

:lol:

Or hand lotion!

John

double :spit:

SaShWhO
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM
cptschlonenheimer needs lube advise. EPIC:spit:

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM
cptschlonenheimer needs lube advise. EPIC:spit:

I knew it was only a matter of time before the sharks started circling...

BTW Sash, We have a mutual aquaintance...
Kit, aka Jason, aka Ghost-Whiner and I have been friends since shortly after high school. He keeps telling me I need to meet ya... If I get him to come ride this weekend you game?

brennahm
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Went with the lithium grease... So far, so good. Thanks again guys! If it seems to get washed out by the rain (although I've been doing my anti-rain dance nightly) I'll probably try the Dri Slide next.

It probably will eventually dry out/get washed out. But having to redo it reminds you to use the same stuff to lube your levers, pegs, kickstand at the same time.