PDA

View Full Version : STAR School at HPR (August)

GuitarX
Wed May 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hi all,

I've been in contact with the folks at STAR School as I'm going to be signing up for it (should be a total blast!). They are having a hard time filling up the classes and may have to cancel.

This track school is an incredibly good deal when compared to other schools and Pridmore and crew are great teachers. If you want to do this school, mention cosportbikeclub and you'll get $25 off the price.

Let's not be the lame date on their schedule and force them to cancel! :cry:

They are having 1- or 2-day classes on August 15 and 16. Price is normally $350 for one day, $650 for 2.

Go here for more info: http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

ian22
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track. It is cool that they do it out at HPR, does anyone else in the CSC who has been to the STAR school have feedback about it? I'm sure it is wonderful, I'm just asking.

OUTLAWD
Thu May 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track. It is cool that they do it out at HPR, does anyone else in the CSC who has been to the STAR school have feedback about it? I'm sure it is wonderful, I'm just asking.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39562&highlight=star

Pharmgirl
Thu May 26th, 2011, 01:57 PM
How many people do they need to have the school and how many more need to sign up?

Captain Obvious
Thu May 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM
That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39562&highlight=star

Ian, as some of the comments in the thread indicate, you will get faster/better/smother/etc.

I haven't done the STAR school, but have done others that have "fast" guys teaching (some Kevin S guy). You will be amazed about how much you can learn from them just by having them chase you around.

Sort of like fixing your suspension, sure you can putt around with your suspension out and do okay, but have it tuned, you can instantly drop time. Same with having a pro watch your lines, watch your body position and your riding style.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanant.

asp_125
Thu May 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I would love to do it someday. I'll see what happens after Chicane and the summer plans. Mid August though? Ugh... better bring ice and water.

Airreed
Thu May 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm in the process of getting our military Safety office to pay for this school....more to follow!

GuitarX
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more, not to be disrespectful. You'd get WAY more out of a school with good instruction than you'd ever get by running around the track on your own. This is dirt cheap for a good track school. $325 for a day? Compare that to the other big name schools.

With your skill level, you'd gain so much from an experience like this. Not trying to push you in any way as it doesn't matter - you have to do what you want to do. Just saying...

GuitarX
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
How many people do they need to have the school and how many more need to sign up?

I'll try to find out...

ian22
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My point was that I simply need to practice what I already know...then I think I'd get more out of it. Maybe next year.

Titus
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

I've been in contact with the folks at STAR School as I'm going to be signing up for it (should be a total blast!). They are having a hard time filling up the classes and may have to cancel.

This track school is an incredibly good deal when compared to other schools and Pridmore and crew are great teachers. If you want to do this school, mention cosportbikeclub and you'll get $25 off the price.

Let's not be the lame date on their schedule and force them to cancel! :cry:

They are having 1- or 2-day classes on August 15 and 16. Price is normally $350 for one day, $650 for 2.

Go here for more info: http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

I'm in. are you doin 1 or 2 day?

I'd rather do Keith Code's school, but they aren't coming to HPR anytime that I know of.

dirkterrell
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:49 PM
My point was that I simply need to practice what I already know...then I think I'd get more out of it. Maybe next year.

Consider the possibility that what you already know is flawed. Then you're just reinforcing bad habits. That may or may not be true for you but I can say, having done this course (2 day), that these guys are seriously good. I did it in 2009 and had been riding for 25+ years. I learned a lot. This is not a track day. It is not a race school. This is, IMHO, the best opportunity you'll see to improve your riding skills. Jason and crew will change the way you ride a bike, and it will be for the better.

GuitarX
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM

I'd rather do Keith Code's school, but they aren't coming to HPR anytime that I know of.

Code is at Miller July 4-7. Not cheap though.

I think I'll probably go for the 2 day. It's a lot of information to process for just one day AND try to work things out on the track. I think you're brain starts clicking things together the 2nd day and the physical side (riding) shows more improvement. Just my opinion though, so take it for what it's worth.

OUTLAWD
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
they cover different things on days 1 and 2...I only did day 1 and regret it

Finklestein87
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yes, its a lot of money. But if you take 650/16 = You are paying a little more than $40 an hour to get proper instruction, on a track, thats safe. Plus like someone else said, you may be building on bad habits. Lots of schools have onboard cameras that show you body position etc, which then can be critiqued on the spot.

Sean
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39562&highlight=star I must have missed that thread.

:applause: to Clarkie!

Zach929rr
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM
In reality, you are paying $350 for instruction by the staff since 2 days of HPR time would run you $300 anyway. Hell of a deal.

GuitarX
Fri May 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Pharmgirl, here's what I got back from STAR:

We need to have around 30 to keep the school on the schedule. Right now I have 10 signed up. I'm pretty sure the closer we get to the date - we will be OK. This track has always been a great place to go in the past.

Captain Obvious
Fri May 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Lots of schools have onboard cameras that show you body position etc, which then can be critiqued on the spot.

That was one of the most helpful things from my last school. Track time, then classroom time. Then repeat.

So surprising to see what you are doing and where you are vs should be. Most of the classes are taught with racing in mind, but being a more smooth rider makes you better whereever you spend most of your time.

seann137
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM
i'm planning on it.

never saw that the question got answered as far as how many they need and how many are signed up. anyone know?

asp_125
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
i'm planning on it.

never saw that the question got answered as far as how many they need and how many are signed up. anyone know?

See two posts up.

TransNone13
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm in the process of getting our military Safety office to pay for this school....more to follow!

Give me some good news!

Ninja2
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Is anyone here still planning on doing STAR?

I will likely sign up this week, and was wondering if there is anyone who could help trailer my bike and/or any female who is interested in sharing the cost for a room somewhat close to the track. I'm taking Dave's advice and do the two days.

TransNone13
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
What days is STAR again?

IF anyone wants to join me for the Yamaha Champions Riding School August 4th and 5th, they are more than welcome to ride with me.

Ninja2
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Aug 15 & 16 (Mo and Tue).

.... And quit hijacking threads. ...

hcr25
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Is anyone here still planning on doing STAR?

I will likely sign up this week, and was wondering if there is anyone who could help trailer my bike and/or any female who is interested in sharing the cost for a room somewhat close to the track. I'm taking Dave's advice and do the two days.

Pm sent on your bike getting to HPR

TransNone13
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I didn't and don't tell me what to do :D.

Those are the first two days back to work after leave, I wish.

Ninja2
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM
OK. I will. :) Too bad you cannot make it.

Mike, thank you for the PM, and for all the help at the track in the past.

Ninja2
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I called STAR with some questions, and they asked me to post the discount code for CSC members: HP2011 (yes, it is HP, not HPR). It's a $25 discount you enter during the online registration process.

Gate opens at 7am. Registration shortly thereafter, and then classroom. On track at 9am. Done around 4.30pm. It sounded like you also get some sort of certificate at the end. Would be nice if my insurance will give some sort of discount for this.

I also described to her my (un-)experience level, and she said they have riders with various levels of experience attend, incl. first time track goers. Because there will also be fast riders, they will have two groups: 1. Street and 2. Advanced.

The fact that I am slow is not a problem, she said. As a matter of fact, she said Jason wants everyone to take it down a notch and really focus on learning.

Their cancellation policy is clearly defined at the website.

After running this by more experienced riders, like Jim, Dave, and Gary, I have a great feeling about this opportunity to learn more, so I'm def gonna sign up now. Hope to see you there!

Clarkie
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM

As riders we all develop bad habbits, it helps we someone is there to identify them and help us correct them

Clarkie
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 11:19 PM

I have done a couple of Keith Code schools and while they are ok, they dont compare to a Pridmore Star School, you also dont get someone trying to convert you to Scientology as what happened with me when I attended his 2nd school...

The GECCO
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
As riders we all develop bad habbits, it helps we someone is there to identify them and help us correct them
Exactly. Practice does NOT make perfect, practice makes permanent. Learn to do it right before you start reinforcing bad habits.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I have done a couple of Keith Code schools and while they are ok, they dont compare to a Pridmore Star School, you also dont get someone trying to convert you to Scientology as what happened with me when I attended his 2nd school...

I took the Code school at PPIR about 10 years ago and wasn't impressed...

spideyrdr
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Will overnight camping be allowed Aug 14 or 15?
Has there been any mention of a cut off date? I'd rather get through the next race weekend before deciding if I (or my bike) is up for the Pridmore experience so I would rather sign up August 1-ish.

OUTLAWD
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I have a great feeling about this opportunity to learn more, so I'm def gonna sign up now. Hope to see you there!

:yay:

I try to learn something new and work on my weak points every time I ride, whether on the street or track there is always room for improvement.

lack of a job will keep me from attending this year, but maybe you can show me a few pointers afterward

Ninja2
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM
For a nominal fee, yes.;)
On a serious note, thank you for your trust. I will leave that to the pros.

Oh wait, I do have a piece of advice just for you: STAY AWAY from the Monster drinks before a ride!!!

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
lack of a job will keep me from attending this year, but maybe you can show me a few pointers afterward

+1

usmcab35
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
hmm wonder if the army safety dude at work could somehow pay for this for me haha

steamboat27
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just Signed up for both days

Cory
MRA Novice #226

Clarkie
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I just chatted with one of the peeps from STAR school and got the straight skinny, right from the top: they need NINE more people signed up - EACH of the two days - to make the school worthwhile. If they don't get the numbers by Monday 1 Aug, the school will be cancelled. I'm not a businessman (or businesswoman), but I can't imagine that bodes well for them planning any repeat visits to CO in the near future.

I know how spoiled CO folks are with relatively easy track access and lots of track days. Let me dispell ANY rumors that this is "just another track day" - it's NOT. The skills and tools you learn from JP and his instructors are absolutely first rate. Don't take my word for it - he has people like Josh Hayes, Roger Hayden and Steve Rapp show up to guest instruct, among others. Yeah, I KNOW it's more expensive than a track day - because it's NOT a track day - it is a skills training course. If you go to this school and don't learn something, you weren't trying hard enough or paying close enough attention. http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Even if you can only go for one day - sign UP!! Though I will say from (multiple) personal experience - two IS better than one. And no, I'm not on payroll LOL I'm just a firm believer in the skills. AND I want this school to be coming back to CO when I move back there in a few years http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Bring a friend! Bring two friends! Just hurry up and sign up! And if you can't or won't go, spread the word!

Chief Stinky
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 12:11 AM
My twitter question with Jason Pridmore just now:

losingmylycosa Steve Clark
@jp43 Coming to High Plains Aug15-16? Heard #s might too low.
59 minutes ago

jp43 Jason Pridmore
@losingmylycosa as of now yes. Wish we could improve the #s there tho
40 minutes ago

losingmylycosa Steve Clark
@jp43 Hope you can. Thank you for providing the National Guard training days. I'm active AF in Denver.
12 minutes ago
in reply to ↑

@jp43
Jason Pridmore
@losingmylycosa thank you even more for allowing guys like me to do what we love. Been so much fun teaching military personnal

Matt
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM
I've been to the Keith Code (at PPIR), Freddie Spencer (at LVMS), and Jason Pridmore (at PMI) schools.

Keith Code preaches counter steering. He believes all other methods of turning the bike are ineffective. You learn some skills there, but they are very basic.

Freddie Spencer has the best of the 3 listed above. Too bad he self destructed and took his school with him. He taught trail braking, body steering, and explained how they worked. His school gave you too much information to fully process. The instructors were top notch.

Jason Pridmore offers much of what Freddie Spencer teaches. He also offers it at a much lower price. The Freddie Spencer school cost about $3,000 for a 3 day school.

If anyone is on the fence because of the value for the money, take the chance and go.

Clarkie
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM
JP also does 1 on 1 sessions which are a little more expensive, but are awesome!

*KEN*
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM
I signed up today. Hopefully 8 others will sign up tonight so that they don't cancel.

FZRguy
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Did this school happen? I see HPR is on the STAR schedule May 14/15, 2012.

Ninja2
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Yes. I cannot find the thread right now, but we did post some pics.

Sign up if you can. Great school. I believe I am gonna be unable to make this one. :cry: Would love to go out there for Chuckawalla, but I'd have to see what they charge for bike rentals.

Ninja2
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I found: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41843&highlight=star+school

Mother Goose
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Going to try and make this next one.

dollylala
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I was told that STAR will be at HPR May 14 & 15. From the reviews - I've got to try it this year.

Thanks!!!