PDA

View Full Version : Chain and sprocket replacement

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Ok so I just took my R1 in to get the chain tightened and they said I need to replace the chain and sprockets, Im thinking about picking this set up

http://www.amazon.com/RK-Chain-Sprocket-YZF1000R1-Acceleration/dp/B000WJBDCI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306458266&sr=8-3

And I was wondering what a shop up here charges to do the job or is it possible for me to do the job. This will be my first time. I have experience working on cars but I’m still learning on the bike any help would be great.

spdu4ia
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
if your gonna change all of it do a 520 conversion. It is doable by yourself if you have some mechanical knowledge. Involves removing the wheel, cutting the old chain off swapping the front sprocket then swapping the rear on the wheel , slap the new chain on and readjust your chain tension. If you have someone to help you out thats done it that will be a great help.

brennahm
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Do NOT do a 520 conversion. Yes a lot of people like it, but unless you're racing and need that extra 10th on the track, stick with something that will last longer.

You will need a chain press to install the new chain. An impact wrench makes the front sprocket a snap but isn't necessary.

This isn't terribly difficult but it helps if someone here has time to show you how (a 6 pack can be a good bargaining tool). Good luck!

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Do NOT do a 520 conversion. Yes a lot of people like it, but unless you're racing and need that extra 10th on the track, stick with something that will last longer.

You will need a chain press to install the new chain. An impact wrench makes the front sprocket a snap but isn't necessary.

This isn't terribly difficult but it helps if someone here has time to show you how (a 6 pack can be a good bargaining tool). Good luck!

Yeah im not racing I pretty much want to keep it simple and long lasting, I have the compressor and air tools. and can pick up a chain press I just need to find a reliable chain and sprockets

rfranks303
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM
If you atempt it can I sit in. I know how to do it but never have and would like to see it done. And of course I have pitchins on the beer. I also have all the tools minus the chain riveter.

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
If you atempt it can I sit in. I know how to do it but never have and would like to see it done. And of course I have pitchins on the beer. I also have all the tools minus the chain riveter.

Yeah no problem more the better keeps me from screwing up lol I have to find and order the chain and sprockets but im planing for next week sometime "maybe" ill let you know thanks

Zach929rr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM
+1 to brenahamamamamas post. Dremel to get old chain off. Press to get it on. Leave old chain on and use the rear brake to loosen the counter sprocket before dremeling it off. Do NOT use the trans to break the counter.

brennahm
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Sounds like you have an impact wrench? If not, you could borrow mine. Lemme know when you get a set, I may have time to come by. It's POSSIBLE I could get ahold of a chain rivet tool also.

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Sounds like you have an impact wrench? If not, you could borrow mine. Lemme know when you get a set, I may have time to come by. It's POSSIBLE I could get ahold of a chain rivet tool also.

cool thanks. I do have an impact and I can get a Chain rivet tool.

Im looking at this chain set but im open to sugestions

http://www.amazon.com/RK-Chain-Sprocket-YZF1000R1-Acceleration/dp/B000WJBDCI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306458266&sr=8-3

fiveninerzero
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Do NOT do a 520 conversion.

Agreed. You have a 1000. All that torque will eat a 520 sprocket for lunch. You can do it yourself. A quick Google and youtube search will reveal many DIY and how-to's on chain and sprocket replacement.

Use a rivet master link and not a clip.

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Agreed. You have a 1000. All that torque will eat a 520 sprocket for lunch. You can do it yourself. A quick Google and youtube search will reveal many DIY and how-to's on chain and sprocket replacement.

Use a rivet master link and not a clip.

The more and more i look into it, it doesnt seem as hard as i was making out to be, just dont wanna screw anything up

brennahm
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
That kit is a 520 kit, you want a 530.

Also, do steel sprockets, not aluminum. Have you priced the local joints?

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:53 PM

not yet just started looking today. so 530 steel then. cool thanks

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM

114 links or 112 links?

brennahm
Thu May 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know what they take stock. Go long if not sure, you can always remove the extras. Also, the -1, +3 is nice, especially for CO unless a messed up speedometer drives you nuts.

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Well i just ordered a 530 kit from RK. Steel sprockets and gold chain should be in next week sometime

Zach929rr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Bike master makes cheaper, same quality chains for cheaper if you don't need that gold bling factor.

brennahm
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Like those neutron pads? :)

Zach929rr
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Problem?

I have no problem with my pads. I don't know what Justin did wrong. Those neutrons are the best I have ran yet.

crypto0793
Thu May 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I didn’t notice the gold until after I ordered it but I got the kit for $180. my dad works at a Victory dealership in AZ and got me a good deal

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
As mentioned, stay with the 530 series chain. I would never even consider going to a 520 with a 1k, especially not on the street. Honestly, I found that the OEM sprockets are usually the best quality, and sometimes the front has some rubber damping pads on it to cut chain noise. That said, the set of Sprocket Specialties sprockets I bought SUCKED ASS. Steel front, hard anodized Al rear. Poor quality, the rear barely fit because the holes were misaligned, and took forever to get here. I just put on a set of Renthal sprockets (lightweight steel front hard anodized rear) at the end of last season, and was extremely impressed with their quality. The front was lightened with holes and dished out. The sprockets both had good tooth form, and the chamfered edges they SHOULD have, unlike the SS POS's. The hard (not regular) anodizing on aluminum (rear) means it basically has a surface hardness of a good steel, so it will last. I got a DID X-ring chain the last 2 times and had very little stretch. I get 20-25k out of my chain/sprocket sets.

As for the amount of links, they'll probably ship 120 links, and your manual should list how many you need IF you're using the stock gearing (teeth on sprockets). If your manual doesn't list it, you can call a dealer. When you cut the chain, you don't need to count links if you're careful. Line up the old chain even at one end with the new chain, and just make sure when you get to the other end of the old chain, you make sure the same type of link (inner or outer - though maybe 1/2 link shorter) is lined up on the new chain, and that's where you'll need to cut it.

I also have a 530 series chain breaker/swager if needed.

Good luck.

brennahm
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Problem?

I have no problem with my pads. I don't know what Justin did wrong. Those neutrons are the best I have ran yet.

That'd be kinda hard to say since you put a brake line on at the same time. I was just giving you shit though.

crypto0793
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM
As mentioned, stay with the 530 series chain. I would never even consider going to a 520 with a 1k, especially not on the street. Honestly, I found that the OEM sprockets are usually the best quality, and sometimes the front has some rubber damping pads on it to cut chain noise. That said, the set of Sprocket Specialties sprockets I bought SUCKED ASS. Steel front, hard anodized Al rear. Poor quality, the rear barely fit because the holes were misaligned, and took forever to get here. I just put on a set of Renthal sprockets (lightweight steel front hard anodized rear) at the end of last season, and was extremely impressed with their quality. The front was lightened with holes and dished out. The sprockets both had good tooth form, and the chamfered edges they SHOULD have, unlike the SS POS's. The hard (not regular) anodizing on aluminum (rear) means it basically has a surface hardness of a good steel, so it will last. I got a DID X-ring chain the last 2 times and had very little stretch. I get 20-25k out of my chain/sprocket sets.

As for the amount of links, they'll probably ship 120 links, and your manual should list how many you need IF you're using the stock gearing (teeth on sprockets). If your manual doesn't list it, you can call a dealer. When you cut the chain, you don't need to count links if you're careful. Line up the old chain even at one end with the new chain, and just make sure when you get to the other end of the old chain, you make sure the same type of link (inner or outer - though maybe 1/2 link shorter) is lined up on the new chain, and that's where you'll need to cut it.

I also have a 530 series chain breaker/swager if needed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, we will see how it goes

jrhurt
Fri May 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Sounds like maybe we could use a "tech" day for a few of us to change out our chains and sprockets together. I am planning on doing mine soon and wouldn't mind doing it together with others, I would rather mess up with somebody else!

crypto0793
Fri May 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Im down to a group session. messing up together is way better than by yourself

jrhurt
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Just let me know when you are planning on doing yours. If you provide the place, I will provide some pizza or something.

I am pretty swamped at work through Saturday, and then should free up quite a bit.

crypto0793
Tue May 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Just let me know when you are planning on doing yours. If you provide the place, I will provide some pizza or something.

I am pretty swamped at work through Saturday, and then should free up quite a bit.

My stuff should be in June 7th so maybe the weekend of the 10th. I have a full garage so i have the place with tools one thing i am lacking is a stand

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Got my parts today got to work this weekend but im off monday and tuesday

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
lame i work monday and tuesday till 5. I do have stands though, Let me know when you want to work on this and i will give my best to be there. This is somthing I would like to take part in. I'm off this weekend.

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
lame i work monday and tuesday till 5. I do have stands though, Let me know when you want to work on this and i will give my best to be there. This is somthing I would like to take part in. I'm off this weekend.

I work nights so i dont go till 5pm we can do it tomorrow we just have to finish before 4pm

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
let me see if I can talk my sister into watching my son. shes in aurora so it should be no big deal. Ill talk to her and let u know. that said I apriciate you working around my schedule when you dont have to i'm just happy to help and learn something new.

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
yeah no prob im off of mississippi and tower

Ted
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
114 links or 112 links?

I didn't see the tooth count, but if you go to vortexracing.com , put in your bike year, make/model and "shop" for sprockets, at the very bottom of the page, there are fields for front and rear tooth count, and then it will fill in the estimated number of chain links needed.

Sorry no screen shots. Dunno how to.

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Nice my sister is off miss and uravan. She's watchin him just pm me a time and address and ill be there with stands do I need to bring anything else.

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Nice my sister is off miss and uravan. She's watchin him just pm me a time and address and ill be there with stands do I need to bring anything else.

ha acctually i am off uravan too

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM

what do you say about 10am I PM my addy just bring what ever you think will help. i have tools

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Sounds good.

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
I didn't see the tooth count, but if you go to vortexracing.com , put in your bike year, make/model and "shop" for sprockets, at the very bottom of the page, there are fields for front and rear tooth count, and then it will fill in the estimated number of chain links needed.

Sorry no screen shots. Dunno how to.

I ended up getting OEM gearing the chain is 114 links

crypto0793
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
All are welcome to come watch or help PM and I’ll give you addy any experience is greatly welcome

crypto0793
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Well we finished after getting the right socket and the chain press tool. it only took about 2 hours not bad for a 1st time chain and sprocket replacement thanks rfranks303 for all your help

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Kyle_Selinsky/DSC00964.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Kyle_Selinsky/DSC00963.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Kyle_Selinsky/DSC00962.jpg

rfranks303
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Glad I could help and learn some skills.