PDA

View Full Version : Bar Risers/Conversion/Heli-bars?

64BonnieLass
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have a 2009 GSXR 750. Thinking about a conversion kit to rise the bars to resolve lower back issues.
Love the bike. Don't want another one, in case you are thinking "just buy a cruiser".

Does anybody have any thoughts positive or negative about changing the stock?

And if you might recommend altering the stock, do you have a preferred vendor/brand/etc.?

Also, just to be a multi-question-PITA, how hard is it to do so?

Ter

(I haven't done a thorough CSC search on this yet as I'm ADHD and pretty much require immediate gratification) Any help is appreciated though.

asp_125
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Heli Bars are pretty much standard fare for replacing clip ons, and probably won't require longer control cables and such.

64BonnieLass
Fri May 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks Jeff, and really I think that's one of my concerns is the cableing. There seems to be enough slack to accomodate but just not sure about the rest.
I'm a fan of stock, as much as possible. I love these bikes just the way they are.
I always feel like the slightest change can completely screw the bike the way it was built to be ridden.
I have a huge personal problem with that. However, if folks can give input that it's okay to "ninth degree" then I'll see how that shakes out.

Matty
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Terri.... I love the risers on my gixxer. It still handles like a sportbike, without lower back pain and sore wrists.

64BonnieLass
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Terri.... I love the risers on my gixxer. It still handles like a sportbike, without lower back pain and sore wrists.

And you elaborate how? :)

What did you get bebe, what brand, can you send a link?

And the other question is, do the risers stop the vibration, or is that simply a bar-end issue? Totally separate question maybe?

Dougie gave me new bar ends for the SV, which saved my soul, and made a ton of difference in my long rides. (I think I still owe him in fact)

asp_125
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Matty has the full riser / handle bar conversion if I'm thinking of his streetfighter. That will definitely require longer cables.

salsashark
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I put helibars on my zx-14. Set back about an inch and up 3/4s. Slightly more upright position and did not require new cables. It's a good way to go with a minimal investment. If it helps, great. If not, easy return to try something else.

Jbnwc's wife had convertibars on her SV1000. I really like the amount of adjustability but almost certain they require longer cables. Also, be cautious using canyon dancers with them... Jason can elaborate on this if you care.

64BonnieLass
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
How did you feel that changed your "feeling" on the bike on various roads? Or not at all?

Wha? Why would a canyon dancer effect that? Maybe I'm not thinking?!

And which Jason? I know 4?!

salsashark
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM
How did you feel that changed your "feeling" on the bike on various roads? Or not at all?

Wha? Why would a canyon dancer effect that? Maybe I'm not thinking?!

Took a bit of the stress off my wrists and lower back. Slightly more relaxed riding position, but definitely still a sport bike posture.

Jason snapped one of the convertibars w/ the canyon dancer... whether or not it was the convertibar or the dancer, it remains to be seen, but it ended up being cheaper to put oem bars back on the back over replacing one bar.

And which Jason? I know 4?!

:lol: JBNWC (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1334)

Matty
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Terri.... I have the RSD risers as triples. The only cables that needed to be switched out was my brake line. The throttle cable had enough slack. As for vibrations. I don't have bar ends and it feels great.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri May 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Congrats on the new bike! Decided to upgrade from the SV?

Heli has been making risers for many years, while I've never used them, I've talked to a bunch of people over the years, and the kids are well-thought-out, and usually require no new cables/brake lines/wiring harness. Best of luck!:)