PDA

View Full Version : Test riding a bike w/ expired reg / plates / no insurance

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Just looking for some input from everyone ( would love input from our LEO friends on here )

Ive got my 95 ninja ive been way too lazy to post up, the battery is currently on the charger now and after shes done i was gonna take her for a test ride to make sure it still runs / rides good before i posted it up for sale.

The only problem that im slightly worried about is the bikes registration / plates are expired and it hasnt been insured in a long time and police are out in force right now.

Do you guys think a cop would ticket me given the above circumstances? I dont have a truck or trailer or anything to take her out east but i am in SE aurora and can get out of aurora into the "plains" pretty damn quick.

What would you do?

Finklestein87
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM
:drink:Throw a block party and close the street. Then buzz it up and down a few times

Legally - You can't ride it. The most I suspect is get temp plates and then test ride it.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
:drink:Throw a block party and close the street. Then buzz it up and down a few times

Legally - You can't ride it. The most I suspect is get temp plates and then test ride it.

They wont give me a temp plate without the bike being insured and i really dont want to insure it and get temp plates for a short test ride. I do have to go out of the neighborhood where i can get the bike up to speed for a good test though.

Thanks for the input

Foolds
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Got a Truck or Trailer you can throw it on to go take it to a parking lot? I wouldnt ride with out insurance. Current plates maybe but not insurance.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Got a Truck or Trailer you can throw it on to go take it to a parking lot? I wouldnt ride with out insurance. Current plates maybe but not insurance.

I dont unfortunately, their is a small parking lot about a quarter mile away from my house i can get too just going through my neighborhood but its a rather small lot at a park that is sure to be crowded.

Keep the input coming guys, im not quite sure what to do at this point as the bike really needs a good test ride before i post it up for sale.

Foolds
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
What about a rear stand? Run it up to speed on that?

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:47 AM
What about a rear stand? Run it up to speed on that?

The bike actually has its own centerstand but in my very limited experience the friction of the road / weight of the rider makes a big difference on how the bike actually rides in comparison to how it runs / acts in neutral.

I am mainly worried that the carbs have gotten gummed up from it sitting, once the battery is charged ill throw her on the stand and give this a shot, if the carbs are really dirty it should show but i just dont think its fair to sell it to someone not knowing how its going to ride for them when they take it home.

Thanks for the continued input!

rfranks303
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:53 AM
What model I love older ninjas.

Foolds
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM
With A rear stand.. And maybe a center stand you could run the tire up to speed.. I would be a bit worried to do that on a center stand though I have never had a bike with one

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Its a 95 ninja 500, bought it to learn on and recommend it to anyone as a first bike, they hit the nail on the head with the design IMO.

I do also have a rear stand and thinking about it ill have to put it on the rear stand because the bike has different dog bones to raise the rear ( i think the tire touches the ground when the bike is on its own centerstand )

rfranks303
Sat May 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Very nice glws ill start trying to talk the wife into buying it now.

fiveninerzero
Sat May 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hmph. At least get liability insurance.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM
It will cost me $48 dollars to insure it with liability, i just dont think i can justify spending $50 to insure the bike for a 20 minute ride.

Maybe i can throw someone a few bucks to help me get the bike to a lot?

PhL0aTeR
Sat May 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
It will cost me $48 dollars to insure it with liability, i just dont think i can justify spending $50 to insure the bike for a 20 minute ride.

Maybe i can throw someone a few bucks to help me get the bike to a lot?

$50? ive insured some vehicles for a day, and it didnt cost me more than $5. just add it to your current policy, then remove it after a half hour.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
$50? ive insured some vehicles for a day, and it didnt cost me more than $5. just add it to your current policy, then remove it after a half hour.

Ah ok ill just call progressive then, i was wondering if i could do something like that.

I think ill be tearing it down to replace an o-ring if it doesnt stop leaking after i let fuel sit in the system for a little bit, if i have to replace the o-ring ill just clean the carbs while im in their.

PhL0aTeR
Sat May 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ah ok ill just call progressive then, i was wondering if i could do something like that.

Its much quicker/easier to do it online, u avoid all kinds of nonsense questions.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Its much quicker/easier to do it online, u avoid all kinds of nonsense questions.

Thanks a lot guys!

TinkerinWstuff
Sat May 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM
cleaning carbs is a fact of life when buying a carb'd bike.

A compression test would tell me far more about the true condition of the bike than a test ride.

I just count on the fact I'll have to clean the carbs and consider myself lucky if I don't end up having to.

I think a test ride will tell you far more about how well it shifts through the gearbox

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
cleaning carbs is a fact of life when buying a carb'd bike.

A compression test would tell me far more about the true condition of the bike than a test ride.

I just count on the fact I'll have to clean the carbs and consider myself lucky if I don't end up having to.

I think a test ride will tell you far more about how well it shifts through the gearbox

Will be taking it for a test ride tomorrow after work, this is not a pretty bike and has been down multiple times, it will be priced accordingly IMO.

highpsi03
Sat May 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM
What would you do?
Put my head down and not pull over?

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Put my head down and not pull over?

Remember it is a ninja 500, the crown vic may actually give her a run for the money with my skills, probably not yours though.

Finklestein87
Sat May 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
You'll be fine. Be safe on the test ride and glws

ndnbennyb
Sat May 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
If you get busted without insurance, you lose your license and the bike gets towed. You can only get your license back once you get SR-22 insurance and haves to maintain that for three years. That's done withing 7 days of losing your license and requesting a hearing with the department of revenue. And to get the bike back, you need valid registration and insurance. Get liability only. Cheap and should work to get registration.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
If you get busted without insurance, you lose your license and the bike gets towed. You can only get your license back once you get SR-22 insurance and haves to maintain that for three years. That's done withing 7 days of losing your license and requesting a hearing with the department of revenue. And to get the bike back, you need valid registration and insurance. Get liability only. Cheap and should work to get registration.

Wow i was unaware the consequences were so sever, i will definitely get insurance and if i have insurance i mind as well pay the $6 for a temp plate

ndnbennyb
Sat May 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Wow i was unaware the consequences were so sever, i will definitely get insurance and if i have insurance i mind as well pay the $6 for a temp plate

Better to know now then find out when they take your license. Aside from dealing with the department of revenue (DOR) and their reinstatement fees, you'll also have to deal with the judge for the traffic violations. Gladi could let you know.

Survivalism
Sat May 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Better to know now then find out when they take your license. Aside from dealing with the department of revenue (DOR) and their reinstatement fees, you'll also have to deal with the judge for the traffic violations. Gladi could let you know.

Indeed man, this is exactly the reason i posted this thread and i thank you for bringing this to my attention, definitely not worth the risk now that i know.

stubbicatt
Sun May 29th, 2011, 05:38 AM
To run without insurance is a really bad idea. If you get pulled over for the plates, generally all you have to do to get that ticket dismissed is to register the thing and take your proof with you to court.

But without insurance on a bike that has been sitting, who knows if the brakes work or what have you. I would recommend getting it insured. If you sell it, you cancel the policy and get a pro rata amount of your premium back from the ins. co.

My $.02

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 29th, 2011, 07:35 PM
check with your agent, as an insured driver, your policy may cover you in these circumstances.

My insurance covers me for several days when purchasing a new vehicle. It also covers me in rental cars.