PDA

View Full Version : One on One

DemonRider
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Looking for some help on Canyon Carving stuff. I apparently need some work on my lines and a few other pointers. Looking at Sunday June 5th whatever time works best for whoever wants to help! I can get some good edumacation going;) I know Sundays are rare but that's the only time I'm available right now. I am going to California on the 11thfor a few weeks.

DemonRider
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Here is Where I'm at you can take a look and see what I need!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4lqUEiRR4&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mNCy4Bwuyg&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUiH4u2qv0&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVa_xyg6Kr0&sns=em

Vellos
Sun May 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
You watched Twist of the Wrist II right?

DemonRider
Sun May 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Some of it off and on, watching it as we speak since I'm home! But read the book once or twice ;)

DemonRider
Sun May 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Watching it makes me want to go out!

OUTLAWD
Sun May 29th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Depending on a few things, like:

- if I get my bike back together
- if I don't go on a long ass ride
- if we can find a road with little traffic on a sunday

...I'd love to help you out...

I don't think we have ridden together at all, and I am by no means the fastest person out there, but I'm not the slowest either ;)

OUTLAWD
Sun May 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
and TOTW is a good watch/read

BC14
Sun May 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
and TOTW is a good watch/read
It was pretty corny, but there were some damn good techniques in the video, even for those that don't race. I'd be willing to help you out(I have a Go-Pro), but it'd have to be on a Saturday when I'm not busy. I'm usually out on the bike every weekend though. During the week would be ideal, like a Thursday, but not really feasible for those that work normal shifts.

daemon
Sun May 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
COME TO THE NORTHSIDE.....WE HAVE TWISTIES!!!
LOL....i may be willing to assist!!!

DemonRider
Sun May 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Watched and read TOTW got a better idea on the whole thing and think i can put it to use. but more is better :) I work Wednesdays thru Saturdays 0630-1730 hrs so Sundays thru Tuesdays is all I have right now and knowing most work Monday thru Friday I figured Sunday is probably best. I will probably watch it a few more times before i go out, as long as there is time... daemon / OUTLAWD / Vellos let me know, Ill meet where ever, and Thanks PM me and maybe we can work something out.

I think Ill hit the track with someone at some point after I get back from Vacation

OUTLAWD
Sun May 29th, 2011, 09:56 PM
IMI is good for most things, but its a bit small for me to practice reference points, which is one of the most important things, especially with canyon riding

Vellos
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Going up and down 7 repeatedly is good, break for lunch and then keep at it. Best on a weekday though. Just don't go flying down the straights or past the rock-climbers they might complain.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 02:37 PM
my schedule is somewhat flexible, I would say meeting in Lyons would be good, and during the week to minimize traffic

36 and 7 are good roads to learn on, because of the lack of surprises and tricky turns, and while it is nice to become familiar with roads, I do not suggest you memorize them, because the moment you take them for granted is the moment it will bite you in the ass.

I honestly ride every canyon like it is the first time I have seen it. It may mean I am slower than some, but I am OK with that. Of all the people I have something to prove to...note one of them is on a sportbike.

Finklestein87
Mon May 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I would like to join you gys if I can. I'm trying to get this whole line thing down and its just not clicking yet. I know my problem is turning in to early, leading to corrections in the turn or longer leaned over.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM
If I do this, it will be on a truly one on one basis...I am not a certified instructor, or even a seasoned vet for that matter, and there are courses that cost a pretty penny that cover these sort of things...so you are getting what you pay for...but I can def pass on the things that helped me get up to speed with canyon riding.

as far as turning in too early, what do you think is causing it? Generally speaking you go where you look, so where are you looking?

Keeping your eyes in the "right" places will help you be smooth through a corner. Code covers this in TOTW to a certain extent, maybe a bit more track biased, but the same holds true for street riding.

I was keeping an eye on you in my mirror on Friday, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but you definately looked a bit shakey. I meant to talk to you at lunch but got side tracked.

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I think Ill hit the track with someone at some point after I get back from Vacation

Hey Demon,

One thing to note - your lines on the track will be different from your lines on the street. On the street you're trying to maximize your line of sight and stay a safe distance from oncoming traffic, especially in blind corners. Outlawd is a very good and experienced rider. You'd do well to ride with him and take note of his style. Just don't let him eat any chili cheese dogs first if you're going to follow him. :fire:

Finklestein87
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I was keeping an eye on you in my mirror on Friday, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but you definately looked a bit shakey. I meant to talk to you at lunch but got side tracked.

Yeah i can feel the bike move quite a bit. I've been practicing using my legs more and hopefully that will improve smoother weight shifts. I just picked up Codes road racing book and going to read through that.

daemon
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM
There is much to gain from these responses...
1...no road will be the same(unless you research it) for the hard run!
2. in no way can you expect all variables(cagers) to react the same at all times.
3. on any given day you will be faced with many of the same (or different) variables in how your ride will progress!
#3 part 2...be prepared to work for your safety.
4...do all you can to make sure not everyone thinks you are motorcycling ASS....
We have a reputation to uphold!!!
I will be the dirty side of that!!! LOL

DemonRider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks everyone, noted on track lines and street lines. I have Spiderman taking the bike out for a ride to see if there is anything bike related that might hender my learning, hopefully all is good, then I will take her out for some practice after watching and reading Keith Code stuff and see what I have learned from there! I'll kinda want some real world "Guidance" from someone! Thanks for the time and effort people,, OUTLAWD; hopefully the bike comes along and fixed!

DemonRider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Looks like I'll be trying to get a hold of Dave, thanks Bob for your time!

thankgod
Mon May 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM
dude...will you just call me....plz...I'm not an expert like some of these guys...but you'll have fun and learn from MY mistakes!:silly: Went on a 9 hour ride today with stops in Estes and Lyons. Had a blast...kinda wisht a few more bikers(like yourself)were there. Peace.

GuitarX
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone, noted on track lines and street lines. I have Spiderman taking the bike out for a ride to see if there is anything bike related that might hender my learning, hopefully all is good, then I will take her out for some practice after watching and reading Keith Code stuff and see what I have learned from there! I'll kinda want some real world "Guidance" from someone! Thanks for the time and effort people,, OUTLAWD; hopefully the bike comes along and fixed!

Just remember...practice, practice, practice. If you find a difficult section that gives you problems do it over and over. Start slow and increase your speed as your comfort level grows. Getting in over your head comes from trying to go too fast right from the get-go. Be patient brother, and the rewards shall be numerous like the children upon the earth (Book of Gary 3:16).

Ride these roads by yourself, with friends, with people who are better riders, etc. But remember, ALWAYS ride your own ride. Don't try to keep up with another rider if it's going to get you in over your head. EGO = PAIN (Book of Gary 5:27)

I repeat - ALWAYS ride your own ride. I enjoy riding with people who are faster than I but I try very hard not to let their pace outstrip my comfort level. The good thing about riding with faster riders is that it keeps your ego in check, and keeps you humble. The second you think you're a badass, that's when you eff up. Now go out there and have fun, you young whippersnapper! :cheers:

DemonRider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Soon; been busy getting ready for Vacation trip to see family in California, time is precious till I get back.

dude...will you just call me....plz...I'm not an expert like some of these guys...but you'll have fun and learn from MY mistakes!:silly: Went on a 9 hour ride today with stops in Estes and Lyons. Had a blast...kinda wisht a few more bikers(like yourself)were there. Peace.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM
You'd do well to ride with him and take note of his style.

who you kidding!?!?!

I ain't got no style

and the bike should be up and running by the time you get back from vaca, and the sprained ankle isn't too bad as long as I pop my pills ;)

DemonRider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks GuitarX, I will take heed for sure!!! Thank you very much for the encouraging words! :cheers:

Hahaha ; I hope you mean "Young whippersnapper" by way of my lack of experience; cause I'm not so young!! Hahahaha Thanks Again:)

DemonRider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
and the bike should be up and running by the time you get back from vaca, and the sprained ankle isn't too bad as long as I pop my pills ;)

Cool; I'll hit you up when I get back then

That will give me time to do some solo stuff on Sunday to see if I was paying attention to The Keith Code stuff:) thanks again. Or if anyone else wants to come out on Sunday just for fun let me know and we will think of something :)

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:12 PM
might roll the gixxer out of street retirement for a week or so...being that I'm not racing it anyway ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hey Demon,

One thing to note - your lines on the track will be different from your lines on the street. On the street you're trying to maximize your line of sight and stay a safe distance from oncoming traffic, especially in blind corners. Outlawd is a very good and experienced rider. You'd do well to ride with him and take note of his style. Just don't let him eat any chili cheese dogs first if you're going to follow him. :fire:
I'll vouch for what Gary said, and add that you also tend to apex earlier because of any possible/probable debris in the road, from oils/coolant to dirt and gravel. Using a typical racing late-apex means often you'll cross a trip of debris which can and will land you on your head.

And before every ride, you should say 10 "Hail Gary's" and 10 "Our Rosen's" for good luck! :)

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
And before every ride, you should say 10 "Hail Gary's" and 10 "Our Rosen's" for good luck! :)

:pointlaugh::pointlaugh::pointlaugh::angel:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Here they are:
Hail Gary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among riders,
and blessed is the fruit of thy motorcycle factories,
Sportbikes.
Holy Gary, Father of riders,
pray for us speeders,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Our Rosen, Who art in Littleton
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on mountain roads as it is on the superslabs.
Give us this day our daily gasoline,
and forgive us our double-yellow passes,
as we forgive those who pass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

asp_125
Tue May 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
:pointlaugh: Good one, Frank!

GuitarX
Tue May 31st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Here they are:
Hail Gary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among riders,
and blessed is the fruit of thy motorcycle factories,
Sportbikes.
Holy Gary, Father of riders,
pray for us speeders,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Frank, we need to find you a job. You've got too much time on your hands! :loop:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 31st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Frank, we need to find you a job. You've got too much time on your hands! :loop:
Hey man, I'm just tryin' to give you "thanks and praise"! :D

Can ah git an Aaaaymen brothahs and sistahs!

GixxerCarrie
Tue May 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Diego taught me the world in one day about canyons..just following his lines. Christian Cowboy is another, also Sully. All are safe great teachers. Dave (Outlawed is also fun to ride with :))

OUTLAWD
Tue May 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM
I've been called many things...never fun though

Thanks Carrie!

Slo
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Didn't read through all the posts, but if you still need some help Sunday, I can help out...

bornwildnfree
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'd be happy to go with you.

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
/\
/\

That would be great, I'm still open for some learning on Sunday and can hit up others after I get back from Vacation. I can use all the knowledge anyone has to offer:) thanks everyone gotta love the camaraderie :)

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
well...the smiley faced gixxer is road worthy again...I should be able to sneak out sunday

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
where can we all meet up at? Slo was thinking of starting off in an empty parking lot then going from there but I don't know. A few near me is the Ultimate Electronics lot on 84th & I-25 or Westminster Mall Parking lot.. But like I said I will meet up ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, WITH ANYONE that is convenient for you. maybe through PM but let me know.. Again Thanks

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
well...the smiley faced gixxer is road worthy again...I should be able to sneak out sunday
Still having issues with your Triumph? Any luck finding a wheel/nut etc.?