PDA

View Full Version : Best coolant?

Zanatos
Sun May 29th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I just got a new bike, so I'm using regular Yamaha antifreeze, but I've heard that Cycle Logic Engine Ice is good.

What coolant do you use?

madvlad
Sun May 29th, 2011, 11:06 PM
That's what the owner of GPM ran on his turbo Busa and he said it ran much cooler. Great stuff, That's whats going in my R1 when its due for a flush.

Wrider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 01:46 AM
As long as you're not going to the track, Engine Ice is good stuff.

Zach929rr
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I hear that 50/50 mix you buy at Walmart is badass.

sloridr
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I hear that 50/50 mix you buy at Walmart is badass.
+1 but I bought the generic stuff from AutoZone. Cheap ($10.99/Gal) 50/50 mix. Good for -34 deg

longrider
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Be careful with the generic stuff, a motorcycle need a non-silicate coolant. There have been documented cases of water pump failure after using a silicate coolant. In the shop we use the Honda coolant unless requested otherwise, I use the Honda coolant myself.

rfranks303
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I use liguid performance streetbike coolant. The numbers are a little better then engin ice but only bye like 2 degrees. Its like 2 bucks cheaper. I bought it to try it out and can't tell the differance between lp and engin ice both work well. I have no complaints about either.

The GECCO
Mon May 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM
That's what the owner of GPM ran on his turbo Busa and he said it ran much cooler. Great stuff, That's whats going in my R1 when its due for a flush.

Just remember, cooler is not better, as strange as it may seem. In order to get the most efficiency and power out of an engine it's best for it to run as hot as possible as long as the temp is controlled (ie, the temp levels off and the engine doesn't overheat)