PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad question

RSVR4aCowboy
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 09:57 PM
I picked up a set of EBC double H pads and immediatley noticed :shock: that the EBC are solid where my stock pads have the grove in the middle. Some of the EBC pads I have seen on the web had the groove also. Question is will the double h pads build more heat therefore causing my rotors to possibly warp? I've haven't experienced any warping issues with the Mille tho' I have heard that some of the Milles of my year did. Is my thinking possibly warped? :? :lol: Are the grooves purpose to help dissipate heat or is there another function?

Haven't opened the new ones yet but plan on changing them soon. Any feedback, constructive that is, would be appreciated.

yakuza
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 10:41 PM
I can't speak for the Mille, as Dave (my pit helper and partner in racing crime) has the stock Brembo pads on his, but I've been racing on a set of EBC HH pads on my F4i for the whole race season so far, with no issues. I've actually got a set of EBC kit pads in my spares box that I've yet to mount. I can't imagine the groove would dissipate much heat though, I'm thinking it might be better for removing brake dust/debris from the pad area?

Anonymous
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Yeah it's probably for cleaning purposes. On a race bike, keeping the brakes clean and in good shape should be part of your routine anyway so it's less important, and probably moreso to have as much pad as humanly possible in contact with the rotor.

Dysco
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Yeah it's probably for cleaning purposes. On a race bike, keeping the brakes clean and in good shape should be part of your routine anyway so it's less important, and probably moreso to have as much pad as humanly possible in contact with the rotor.

Brake pads... humanly possible? maybe as mechanically possible? I am so confused. :?

and a little drunk :)

yakuza
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Brake pads... humanly possible? maybe as mechanically possible? I am so confused. :?

Woohoo! So I'm not the only one posting mechanical advice when they're drunk... :D

Anonymous
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 11:45 PM

Woohoo! So I'm not the only one posting mechanical advice when they're drunk... :D

I wasn't exactly sober when I wrote that either... :D

Hey I figured a human had to design the thing, right? So it fits. Plus beer makes it all better.

RSVR4aCowboy
Wed Aug 20th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the :cheers: drunken answers :lol: Getting brake dust away makes sense. I'm probably changing to full floating or the wave rotors this winter, so I'll slap the EBCs on and see how they perform.

Thanks you bunch of alcoholics! :drink:

BlueDevil
Wed Aug 20th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I can't speak for the Mille, as Dave (my pit helper and partner in racing crime) has the stock Brembo pads on his, but I've been racing on a set of EBC HH pads on my F4i for the whole race season so far, with no issues. I've actually got a set of EBC kit pads in my spares box that I've yet to mount. I can't imagine the groove would dissipate much heat though, I'm thinking it might be better for removing brake dust/debris from the pad area?

Bingo!!

mikesf4i
Wed Aug 20th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Believe it or not brake pads actually heat up and release a gas(vapor type thing) and the groove is there to give the gas a place to go so that it doesnt hold the pad off the rotor. Grooved disks or disks with holes (crossdrilled) are for the same purpose.

Anonymous
Wed Aug 20th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Grooved disks or disks with holes (crossdrilled) are for the same purpose.

Mmm, partly. Drilling is to reduce mass and allow for cooling as well, to prevent fade and warping. Grooves in rotors don't do much for cooling but are there to clean the surface of the pads and keep them fresh (i.e. not glazed over).

Plus they get rid of vapors. ;)

Bryce
Thu Aug 21st, 2003, 07:57 AM
actually the holes or grooves in cross drilled rotors have very little effect on cooling and make the rotor less stable and slightly more likely to warp but the main function is to give the gas from the pads somewhere to go instead of being stuck between the pads and rotor which kills off lots of braking power