PDA

View Full Version : Minis at IMI this week, maybe Friday?

duelist13
Mon May 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Anyone up for some practice this Friday before the race on Sunday?
I'll be trailering the 150 out for its first run on the track :).

coax
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I won't make it Kong. I have a crapload of stuff to do before my next business trip. I will be at the race though. I definitely want to get a bandimere test day in before the next round after I come back. I heard that SSR was tight!

Bueller
Tue May 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM
I might bring the ninja out if I get the rest of my prep done in time.

duelist13
Tue May 31st, 2011, 02:38 PM
It would be great to see the 250's out there with the middies. I'm waiting on a 30tooth rear sprocket myself, heh.. eta Saturday :(.
Yes the little 150 runs like a monster, thanks to chris' tweaking :).

It's been a while since I've ridden on the track, hopefully I won't almost run into Bueller with my signature "square" lines ;). Damn you and your riding skills!

coax
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
It would be great to see the 250's out there with the middies. I'm waiting on a 30tooth rear sprocket myself, heh.. eta Saturday :(.
Yes the little 150 runs like a monster, thanks to chris' tweaking :).

It's been a while since I've ridden on the track, hopefully I won't almost run into Bueller with my signature "square" lines ;). Damn you and your riding skills!

I've got a thirty tooth that will probably fit your hub. It fits my SSR. Let me know if yours doesn't come in, as I will probably head up to Chris' pad around 2 or so. I assume your looking at using a 15T front, as a 14 will probably drag on the swinger. Also assuming 26mm carb and stock head for that gear combo and I think you'll be in the money, while being in the pwr band. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions.

duelist13
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hey Kevin, I ordered the 30 tooth custom from PMP (couldn't find it anywhere else).
If you could swing by and eyeball a fit, let me know how it looks!

coax
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hey Kevin, I ordered the 30 tooth custom from PMP (couldn't find it anywhere else).
If you could swing by and eyeball a fit, let me know how it looks!

Not heading up until Saturday. You have a 15T countersprocket on there? I'll explain something about anti-squat and sprocket sizes when I see you, but on a mini sometimes you just have to compromise.

duelist13
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sounds like I have a lot to learn (the engineer in me needs to know) :) I think we changed the gearing to 17T front and a 30 rear, I'm a little concerned it's geared low but I'm also pretty clueless on how to set up the little guy.

I'll be there on Saturday as well, I'm trying to reserve a trailer with UHaul so I can get the little guy back home for practice :)

coax
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Kong-Your bike is making max hp at 8.2k rpm and dropping below 10hp at about 8.8k rpm with the 26mm carb ( 28mm carb would have higher hp, move the peak hp to the right and still be above 10hp at 10k rpm). So keep it between 7-8.8k rpm for best results. Your gear ratios-Pri red.-3.722/sec ratio-rr sprk divided by ctr sprk/1st-3.272/2nd-1.937/3rd-1.35/4th-1.043. 17/30 gears would have you at 75mph, 16/30 at 71mph,and 15/30 at around 66mph, assuming your using the Dunlop TT92 120/80-12 on the rear.

I was doing 66mph clockwise at IMI without taking the corner well onto the back straight and having issues with my F4/5 bike. I think it'll do better on a good day.

I hope that helps a little.

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
That's great to know, thanks for the breakdown. I'm running the 12" Dunlops with the stock carbs. It seems like the gearing is good then, with a little over-rev room left. I've been looking for a battery powered bar tach or a shift light, but so far no luck!

Are you bringing a bike over on Saturday? I need to find a quiet space and get used to the brakes and transmission :). I'm not too happy about the steel wheels--I'll be riding on them for the rest of the month and then hopefully replace them with cast alu tubeless.

coax
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
That's great to know, thanks for the breakdown. I'm running the 12" Dunlops with the stock carbs. It seems like the gearing is good then, with a little over-rev room left. I've been looking for a battery powered bar tach or a shift light, but so far no luck!

Are you bringing a bike over on Saturday? I need to find a quiet space and get used to the brakes and transmission :). I'm not too happy about the steel wheels--I'll be riding on them for the rest of the month and then hopefully replace them with cast alu tubeless.

Yeap, the gearing should be good at 15/30 unless you're really fast. The bike I did that on has quite a bit more than yours right now. You just don't have much over-rev with the stock carb and stock head. You can check trail-tech, but their lower end units don't have shift lights. The Vapor unit has them but if you put a really good coil on it overpowers the tach sometimes and gives erroneous results by a 1000 rpms or so. The unit is great for the head temp, hours, and speedo though. It also has shift lights and temp warning lights for $106 off of e-gay. The GPT tach out of Italy is reliable (have it and crashed it for 5 years now) and has a great shift light that catches your attention even in bright sunlight. However, the only company that imports them is undergoing a change in ownership (Midsouth minimoto) and I would call first.

I'm bringing two bikes (my NSR50 and F4/5), but I'll be going to stay at Chris house to avoid the 3+ hour drive on Sunday morning. I use the steel wheels and have no problem with them. That money might be better spent on a 28mm carb or getting your head ported (I know a guy that'll get everything out of that stock head there is to give, plus a killer pwr band from bottom to top).

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I checked their website, it definitely looks like what I want. I hear there are issues with slow refresh rate on the $20 ebay tachs.

That might be a good idea on engine work. I went with the 150 instead of the 160 because it would let me do Formula 3 as well as 4/5 (I think that's how it works).

I'll know a lot more once I get some seat time, so this next thing might not really be important.
My other main concern was lowering the ride height a little bit for the chicanes (raising the forks, not sure what to do about rear). The 6R really doesn't like it when I raise just the forks and (doesn't calm down until I get back on the power in longer corners). Chris mentioned the dirt bikes are pretty raked out and that it's not a big issue, so I guess we'll see about stability. I'm looking forward to learning more about anti-squat. This is the first time I'm riding a machine that's "too small" for me :)

coax
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
The 150 made good sense.

The only thing that will lower the bike is to move the axle forward w/o suspension work (linkless suspension). This will serve to shorten the wheelbase and in conjunction with raising the forks will make it a snappy cornerer. Just have to be careful not to get too much weight on the front or it gets nervous and may start to push the front end. We'll get it figured out with you.

duelist13
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Whew, what a race! Everyone seemed to have a great time, and it was great seeing new and old faces. I wanted to thank my sponsors (my wallet), and Kevin, and Chris for taking time out of their own race prep to get me running so well and so quickly. It was an almost impossible task made possible, and I hope I can return the favor sometime soon!

I hope we can see even more riders on the grid, the starts and the first corner made me wish I had a video camera :).

Bueller
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/?action=view&current=VID_20110605_095936.mp4