PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not sure if this is in the correct area or not...

But I really prefer a push broom, grasping the handle with one hand at the end, and one about 2/3 up the handle...

but seriously now...the point of having someone "sweep" for a group of riders is that there is is an experienced rider at the back, in case the group gets split up: they know the route, incase someone breaks down: they can help fix it, if someone is a newer rider: they have the experience to help that rider hone their skills and become more comfortable on the bike, and while hopefully this is rare...if someone goes down: they can appropriately handle the situation.

I should note that on rides with close-knit groups of people, sweeps are generally not assigned, as everone just kind of does their own thing...I am not talking about these cases.

I am not trying to single anyone out in the slightest, but being slow does not automatically nominate a rider to sweep a ride. Now I am not trying to say people should ride outside their comfort level, and choosing to ride slow to avoid tickets is a different story(and such a rider would probably volunteer to sweep), but if a rider is not comfortable enough on their bike to maintain the speed limit, then they should probably have a better qualified sweeper following them...correct?

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the concept of a sweeper, someone should set me straight.

Discuss.

Sleev
Mon May 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
stop talking about me.

no seriously, a good sweeper is just as important (if not more) as a good leader. they should be familiar with the route and have some basic mechanical skills in case a rider has an easily fixed break down.

also, they should have license plates.

Sean
Mon May 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Here's a thread from a ways back.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30795&highlight=sweep

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
IMO, if someone cannot maintain the speed limit due to inexperience or fear, they shouldn't be on a group ride. They should ride with one or two other much more experienced riders that have the goal of bringing the n00b up to the speed limit+5 comfort level... at least...

IMO...

As for sweep, I like to ride sweep in a group because it keeps me at a reasonable pace. I may not have essential skills to fix a bike but I always know the route and can offer first aid in an emergency.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I thought you sweep when you lead every lap?

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Sean...I recalled a thread, but didn't search for it...cuz I'm a noob and noobs don't use search functions

I volunteer to lead the "slow" group or sweep every now and again, but I've gotta have my fun sometimes too. I also like the point that Jay made about keeping an eye on the rider behind you, but there comes a point when you are paying attention to the rider behind you (or lack thereof) more than your own riding, and that can even get the most experienced riders into trouble. Even at certain slower speeds, I find it hard to pay attention to where I'm going, and start spacing out.

Matty
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Dave I'm with ya 100%.

asp_125
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:08 PM
A good sweep knows how to clear rocks from the house, eh?

Oh we're not talkin' aboot curling?

At the very least the sweep ought to have a cell phone and the numbers of various riders in the group. Although in the more remote canyons cell service is not guaranteed.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Oh we're not talkin' aboot curling?

This is a very serious matter...keep your jokes in one of Vellos' threads ;)

AOK303
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I don't sweep I have a floor vacuum,

Going on my first run in a group, and was first time in canyon, knowing that someone was following me to make sure I was ok and wouldn't get lost made it much easyier to concentrate on just riding. Then the worries of am I killing the run for others or forcing myself out side of my comfort zone but if I had a sweep that seem like he didn't know or could do all that Slo and Jeff (think that was you on the way back from Lyons) did for me, I think it would of made me more nervous.

I've heard stories of leaving behind riders or having them go to fast they wreak or due to lack of ability to the rest of the riders they get bashed on for ruining the ride for them

But I got great advice and felt well taken care of

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM
...Then the worries of am I killing the run for others or forcing myself out side of my comfort zone but if I had a sweep that seem like he didn't know or could do all that Slo did for me, I think it would of made me more nervous.

yeah...I'm the dick that Slo waved by going up 7 when he pulled back to ride with you :)

you were looking alot better down P2P after that though

AOK303
Mon May 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Haha in all right you should of passed and thanks I pray I only get better

pauliep
Mon May 30th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Off topic of the sweeper topic but I think is part of the group ride discussion... If noob to the group and to the route than the leader should be conscious to hold the pace at turns off the main road.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
the norm is to wait for everyone to reconvene at any turns.

Concabar
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM
the norm is to wait for everyone to reconvene at any turns.

I agree completely with you on this. That is one of the things I really liked about riding with your group the other day.

As for the sweeping part, I have noticed a lot that the slowest and most uncomfortable rider volunteers to be sweep. Your points made are true, because if they go down - then what?

OUTLAWD
Mon May 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
As for the sweeping part, I have noticed a lot that the slowest and most uncomfortable rider volunteers to be sweep. Your points made are true, because if they go down - then what?

then no one notices until a stop is made for a turn/break, and any assistance they need will be delayed...whether it be a get-off or a needed insulin break :lol:

Vellos
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:24 PM
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00pfuQVntGmEqB/Sweeper.jpg

Guess I should volunteer :turtle: more often.

Swift
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Me dos.

BC14
Mon May 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I agree completely with you on this. That is one of the things I really liked about riding with your group the other day.

That's the norm on any of "my" rides... Pretty much any time those peeps get together we ride in a very similar matter. Makes things much more enjoyable.

As for the sweeper, they should be an experienced rider with knowledge of the route and some tools to help out in the case we(a member of the group) have a mechanical or other issue on the ride.