PDA

View Full Version : Interesting research into the "clatter" noise my bike's been making

Swift
Mon May 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Originally, when the bike started making this horrible scatter/clatter noise, I was in fear that the internals were disintegrating while I was riding. :shocked:

From what I've been able to figure out after a little bit of reading, its a common noise associated with the cam tensioner spring that develops at low rpm or idle when the motor is at or above operating temperature and its only with the 1150 oil head. I can choose to replace it with an upgraded part to eliminate the noise or I can simply ignore it. Only 1 1150 boxer oil head has ever failed from this part and that was well over 200 thousand miles. Guess I can play it off when someone asks and say "It's my dry clutch making music" :drink:

Just thought I'd share since I know a few people have asked what the hell the noise was. I guess it sounded like my engine was going to explode. :w00t:

stubbicatt
Tue May 31st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Dry clutch. LOL.

Well, it seems to me that if it is a cam chain tensioner, and it is rattling, that means that cam timing will be "off." Depending on how close the parts fit in that head, that could also mean that the crown of the piston could impact a "not quite closed" valve head for a catastrophic end to a nice day of riding.

But if the BMW dealership is not concerned then maybe it isn't a problem.

Zach929rr
Tue May 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
Well, it seems to me that if it is a cam chain tensioner, and it is rattling, that means that cam timing will be "off."

You should hear my drz run. :lol:

Bueller
Tue May 31st, 2011, 08:57 AM
You should hear my drz run. :lol:

I know it makes a dull thud when dropped from a height of ~3'

Zach929rr
Tue May 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM
I know it makes a dull thud when dropped from a height of ~3'

That's what you get with the stiffest springs you can put on that bitch :)