PDA

View Full Version : My scam radar is going off

Swift
Tue May 31st, 2011, 10:50 PM
I received a response to my ad for the R1150R on craigslist today from a guy that supposedly has a 2000 R1 Blue with 12K miles that he wants to trade.
The only other thing I've gotten from him so far is that it has some cosmetic damage. Here's the photo he sent with his original email.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp539%3C4%3Enu%3D6384%3E438%3E252%3EWS NRCG%3D338798844%3A343nu0mrj

Should I be kicking this guy to the curb? 12K miles on a Y2K R1 sounds like a friggin joke to me. I'm gonna wait to hear back on if he has the title and what it says (rebuilt, salvage, etc) and if the bank owns it. Right now I'm thinking this is way too good to be true.

rfranks303
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yea that's a little skech but wait it out you never know. My bike is a 95 it has 20k and I bought it with 14K. Some guys buy sportbikes and either can't get comfortable or are afraid so they just sit in the garage. I hope it works out in your favor.

Wrider
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:03 PM
12K miles isn't too little. You'd be surprised how little osme people actually ride...

Captain Obvious
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:07 PM
12K miles isn't too little. You'd be surprised how little osme people actually ride...

+1, and look at the size of the chicken stripes.

Swift
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:10 PM
Based on the photo (no idea how recent that was taken) it looks as though a good majority of the riding was done on the center of the rear tire. Too much tread on the side to be a bike that was leaned a bunch (IE canyons, etc).

Swift
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:42 PM
So far so good. Clear title in hand. Wants to schedule a date and time to compare bikes.

AOK303
Tue May 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
Might as well do it Where more then one biker can look at it, maybe someone that owns a R1 could give you better incite on if its a gem or a gold painted rock

I hope it works out for ya

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Isn't my first rodeo looking at R1's. My buddy had a 2007 that was modded out, ended up trading it on a Monster S2R to avoid becoming a smear on the interstate. I test rode an '09 over at Coyote when they first got them in, fawking fast as all hell.

I think I'm gonna get his opinion on this as well. I wasn't looking at going to a liter bike for the canyons but I figure it's worth at least considering since most of the people contacting me so far have been asking the same stupid shit question "Is it still available?".

BlueRanger
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM
I don't know if I'm looking at it all wrong, but the tire looks worn beyond regular use. You got the chicken stripe around the outside there, but then the center is worn even more. Like from burnouts? That's what it looks like to me, but I'm not sure. Either way probably worth going to take a look at it. Good luck man.

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM
This guy wants to meet halfway now tomorrow morning (lives in thorton). Anyone feel like meeting me so I don't show up to an ambush?

AOK303
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
half way sound like my work almost i get an hour lunch and there security!!

and i ment more of the more eyes that look everything is seen, always hate when friends buy things and the first thing you point out they didnt see

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Still waiting on time and location from this guy. If it's anything other than a public place that's heavily visited, I'm telling him to pound sand. Something just doesn't seem right with how brief he's being in the emails.

AOK303
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:25 AM
just to wonder what kinda super sport were you looking for a 600? 700?

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:33 AM
That's what I posted in my ad. I just updated for older liter bikes. I'll consider them but I'm not 100% sure I want to jump on an R1 from my bike. Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.

WolFeYeZ
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:37 AM
There is a key in the ignition, thats always a good sign :P And weren't you originally looking for a 1000 due to your hight and need for torque?

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM
Was. Reconsidered, and reconsidered again obviously. lol

Vellos
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Swift needs a literbike to keep up. Har-har.

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 01:26 AM
You so funny, me laugh long time.

Jtigger
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
We bought an 08 R1 last year with 800 miles on it cause the guy was afraid of the bike so it just sat in the garage. So a 2000 w 12k isn't that far of a stretch if they bike is in good condition.

Finklestein87
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Still waiting on time and location from this guy. If it's anything other than a public place that's heavily visited, I'm telling him to pound sand. Something just doesn't seem right with how brief he's being in the emails.

Your craigslist post was a bible of information. He may be thinking he is getting a super deal and just wants it over with

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Went real well this morning. His bike is beautiful and really well taken care of for its age. One for one swap going on Tuesday when I get back in town next week. Couldn't be happier at this point.

Finklestein87
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Good deal! Congrats!

Vellos
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
That's when his gang of friends steals your shit.

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I plan on having some friends around when it happens. Guy seemed nice enough. Older dude, looking for something more comfortable. He originally was gonna keep the r1 as a second bike but his wrists can't take it anymore. Kinda surprised me that the only gear he had on was gloves even with as chilly as it was. Didn't show up with anyone but himself. I came armed just to be on the safe side even though it was a fairly public place with lots of bystanders. I'll know more about the deal when I get back from vegas.

AOK303
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Congrats glad it turned out to be a deal

spideyrdr
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
You're wise to be cautious. But not everything on craigslist is a scam or is going to give you crotch rot *casual encounters cough cough*. Hope it all works out!

rfranks303
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
I plan on having some friends around when it happens. Guy seemed nice enough. Older dude.

I get out of work at 5 on Tuesday if you want me to come with you let me know. I'm not above beating up an old man. :lol:
But really if ill go.

Swift
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:42 PM
He's like mid 40's so not exactly an old fart. I'll let you know if I need ya there but right now it looks like I'll have my dad as well as my motorcycle guru buddy with me.

Finklestein87
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
He's like mid 40's so not exactly an old fart. I'll let you know if I need ya there but right now it looks like I'll have my dad as well as my motorcycle guru buddy with me.

Dude is gonna whoop all yall asses!

Lol Jk, be safe man, this sounds like a dangerous mission!!!

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:14 AM
http://www.dba-oracle.com/images/dummies_scams.jpg

modette99
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:00 AM

Not uncommon to see bikes with 5K miles on them with the owner thinking that is a LOT of miles.

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
It's cause most of us in the CSC are crazy and ride all the time. Most bike owners think 2k a year is a lot of miles LOL.

modette99
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
It's cause most of us in the CSC are crazy and ride all the time. Most bike owners think 2k a year is a lot of miles LOL.

Or my ERC class in Michigan. Harley dudes thought 100 miles a day and a 2-3 day trip was a lot of miles. Came my turn to speak, and I said 800 miles a day with a road trip being 3K miles they all dropped their jaw....LOL

My father in-law has a 1997 Harley Fat Boy with original tires and if I had to guess 1,000 miles on it. Some people just don't ride...LOL His Idea is every few years ride it around the lake...which is maybe at most 15 miles. hmmm the 1,000 mile figure might be giving him a lot of credit.....LOL

Spiderman
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
You posted this in the Non-Bike Discussion forum... How is this NOT bike related?!?

Edit: Moved to correct forum

Ezzzzy1
Sun Jun 5th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Dude... I never saw this thread... Why you no text? Id roll with ya on Tuesday if its after 530.

BlueRanger
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM
What happened to the deal Swift? Thought I'd ask here instead of the sale thread.

Swift
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Trade blew up. Guy I guess didn't wanna swap his on mine because of the mileage mine has. Whatever, it's a blessing in disguise I guess. I wasn't really looking forward to jumping up to an R1 after this bike anyway because I would be filling sand bags from the shit pouring from my vajayjay.

I'll just hold on to mine, pay it off, and swap it on something else next season.