PDA

View Full Version : Tow or Not?!

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Debating :::: tow Motorcycle w/ us?! I want to have fun on Vacation too!?:). Or not?!?!:(. Help me decide!! Got to go straight back to work when we come back!!

Have never towed anything before is there much deference in gas ? It's a small 5x8 open trailer chalked and bike is only 400lbs wet!?!?!?!

WolFeYeZ
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
I would say no. Have to worry about the trailer while driving and parking. Also your bike will be in the elements and more open for thieves in a less familiar area. Just generally doesn't seem like the best idea.

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Not to worried about area, I'll be visiting Family for 3 weeks the area is just a very small town where everyone knows everyone. It's lockable to the trailer and the heavy duty cover I would be using would stand up in the wind I think. ????????????????

My parents want me to go ahead and bring it bit just not sure yet, thanks

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
i wouldnt cover the bike at all when in tow, unless ur cover is designed for it, u will arrive a sad dude with a bunch of scratches on ur bike.

I voted to take it, but then again i travel a lot and tow a 5th wheel, while my SO drives another vehicle and tows the 6x12' open trailer with a couple bikes on it.

sloridr
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
I vote yes. Towing a trailer will use a little more gas. ie a mile less a gallon maybe. Just don't forget its back there when turning and parking. Check the tire pressure before you leave and look everything over at fuel stops.

Besides you'll kick the shit out of yourself when you're there and don't have your bike. Trust me on that one.

TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!

Bueller
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Carbed or fuel injected? If carbed is it jetted for this altitude? If so it will run very (possibly dangerously) lean at sea level.

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM
i wouldnt cover the bike at all when in tow, unless ur cover is designed for it, u will arrive a sad dude with a bunch of scratches on ur bike.

Yep, you'll find the paint rubbed away in places. Leave the bike uncovered.

Sean
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Some things to think about.

Is there good riding in the area?

Are you sure you'll have time to ride?

Depending on how far the trip is, are you confident in the trailer?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM
I'm assuming streetbike? What you could try, is get a big roll of that saran-wrap stuff that Home Depot or U-Haul sells to wrap stuff, wrap the bike tightly, and then you could either choose to use a tight-fitting bike cover over that or not. Or, use a bunch of that blue painters tape that comes off easily to protect it with or without the saran-wrap and/or cover.

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Carbed or fuel injected? If carbed is it jetted for this altitude? If so it will run very (possibly dangerously) lean at sea level.

She is Fuel Injected.

If I take it, leave it uncovered, noted, and thank you very much.

Is there good riding in the area? --- there are lots of riding spots, including up and down Three Rivers area!

Are you sure you'll have time to ride? --- yes there will be plenty after just doing a few things I have a lot of extra time for sure!

Depending on how far the trip is, are you confident in the trailer? It will only be 1100 miles about 15 hours

Think
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM
1100 miles is nothing. Do it.

Finklestein87
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
I said no, but didnt see your second response. 3 weeks with a secure parking spot? Hell ya tow the bike!!

Vellos
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
I considered voting no because a real man would just ride the damn thing out there.

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Sure, but a real man also knows that he will be a little over his head if he did that... :o ... That would be putting myself out of my comfort zone!! But then if I get an itch I can just pull over and yank it out! :rock: ( wait, that didn't come out right!;) )

I considered voting no because a real man would just ride the damn thing out there.

DolphinRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Now Now;;;; who said I'm OLD hahahaha!! he will at least Tow it he just don't know it yet:lol::lol:; hello guys' still a lurker ; looking to get my 250r this summer but we will see!!! anyway:harrrrr: Ride Safe

Duh....
Tinkerin has it right. Just ride it. I'm sure more than a few of us have had the old lady drive while we ride.

It solves multiple problems common when traveling with women....

DemonRider
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
1st Intended Route while in California (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=%20213381752052946582859.0004a4b1ec9e86350a0a 2)

thoughts? ill be taking it slow of course but its a nice route, I think.

Mntntoproc
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Tow it! Have a great vacation! Wow, 3 weeks off would be great!!!:yes:

DemonRider
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
I'll be towing it! Thanks for your input. Got the chalks mounted today and practiced a few tie down spots! I'm starting to get excited. It's been a little over a year and a half since my last vacation.

Think
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM
If you tie it down like this, you will have no problems. I've driven from Colorado to Maryland and back 2 or 3 times and I've never had an issue. If you don't have Canyon Dancers, I'd suggest getting them.

DemonRider
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Well, made it to Green River, Utah; one malfunction, took two hours to fix:(

Trailer flat, forgot spare. Dude was cool though He drove to his shop in Parachute, Co. Got me a tire and wheel drove back to me and changed it for me for 20.00:)

fiveninerzero
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
take the damn motorcycle with you. how dare you even consider leaving it behind?

DemonRider
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM
take the damn motorcycle with you. how dare you even consider leaving it behind?

Hahaha, we did, we made it. Relax today then see whats going on with the Family I guess! We will ride out in a couple of days, I'll hopefully GoPro the ride and see how it goes! Thanks again!