PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Clutch?

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
My clutch is perfectly fine, but since I have never had one I wanted to know if I just had to replace the plate or the whole unit itself? Because looking on the web a slipper clutch is $1000. :puke:

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
My clutch is perfectly fine, but since I have never had one I wanted to know if I just had to replace the plate or the whole unit itself? Because looking on the web a slipper clutch is $1000. :puke:

your '09 R6 comes with a slipper clutch. it may not work as well as the STM or Yoyodyne units for $1000 but it's more than adequate.

rybo
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
If you want a slipper clutch you have to replace the entire unit, and $1000 is about right.

edit: And Jim is right, the yamaha comes with one from the factory!

Replacing plates is lots less - $100 ish for factory parts (which I recommend)

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
My slipper clutch is amazing, but just if that one fails, do I replace the plates or have to buy a hole new unit?

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
My slipper clutch is amazing, but just if that one fails, do I replace the plates or have to buy a hole new unit?

Only the plates. Stick with OEM Yamaha parts.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Nice, thanks, I thought I would have to spend $1000.

spideyrdr
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Off topic: That was some quick advice! When I entered the post it was 6 views and 5 replies!

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Grade A service my friend!

Ghost
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM
/hijack

I've been wanting to get one for my 600RR (no, they don't come with one, even now, thanks Honda, way to be retarded).

Any suggestions on which works best?

I was considering the Yoyodyne as that got better reviews than the STM on some forums, but has anyone had actual experience with either one here?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have a slipper clutch on my ancient '01.......I just use my left index and middle fingers to manually slip the clutch on the downshifts. You too can do it for free! Practice m'man, practice. :)

stubbicatt
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:08 AM
One came on my Ducati. Only once do I think it engaged (or disengaged, whichever is the best description) on a double downshift. Was pretty neat.

This was rider error induced but after the event when I thought about it, the thing worked, the back end didn't chatter at all.

rybo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
/hijack

I've been wanting to get one for my 600RR (no, they don't come with one, even now, thanks Honda, way to be retarded).

Any suggestions on which works best?

I was considering the Yoyodyne as that got better reviews than the STM on some forums, but has anyone had actual experience with either one here?

If you're going to the racetrack where braking and downshifting are happening at the same time then it's probably worth looking into. For street riding and canyons there are probably way better ways to spend your money.

Even with the best backtorque limiting devices in the world (electronics, clutch and who knows what else) Moto GP riders still blip and feather the clutch (just watch some onboard video for confirmation). Learning and practicing these skills may be the best answer (see Frank's post) and provide the best "bang for the buck"

Now that the disclaimer is over - I would make sure to get one that could use a variety of brands / models of clutch plates. Some of the STM products use a 48 tooth hub that only they make plates for. That sucks in my opinion. Both STM and Yoyodyne make excellent products, I don't think you'll go wrong.

s

spdu4ia
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Can someone explain how it works exactly? AND how it is benifitial over just slipping the clutch with your hand and blipping on downshifts?

rybo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
In the most basic terms:

There are a set of ramps inside the clutch that are engaged when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine. This pushes the clutch to the "disengaged" position and allows it to slip. Benefits to the rider include a decreased chance of over-revving the engine on a downshift and less potential for the rear wheel to lose traction with the ground through skipping.

It's better for the rider because they have to manage fewer things. This is especially good at the racetrack where downshifts, braking and throttle changes are happening in rapid succession or at the same time lap after lap.

One potential disadvantage for the street rider is that it may become impossible to bump start the bike in the event of a failed starter or battery.

s

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM
They pretty much put them in street bikes so that they will be legal in Supersport racing. They work really slick for backing it in, but I never would be willing to spend that kind of cash for for one.

dragos13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Stick to OEM clutch plates. They work great and will hold up on the street or the track. Don't get lazy and rely on the slipper alone, continue to feed the clutch out on downshifts. The smoother you are, the faster you'll be. You will still be able to bump-start your bike with a slipper. If you spend some time racing a bike without a slipper, and then move to a bike with a slipper you'll notice the benefits immediately. You can brake later in the corners and use the engine to slow you down more. You don't have to blip the throttle anymore and won't have to be as hard on the front brakes.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Would I like a REAL slipper clutch? Sure, and when the stock plates in my '01 with 54k+ miles finally go South, I might (if I have the money), but for now I'll just 2-finger it. One advantage to a real slipper clutch is I've been riding and hit unexpectedly hit huge bumps in Cleveland where my foot jammed the traqns down a gear (ouch! Good thing I was going straight) and that would mitigate that issue.

Otherwise, in a straight line, on a long deserted road, try pulling in the clutch about 1/3-1/2 (you'll soon get a feel for your clutch) while slightly blipping the throttle and downshifting and braking at the same time. Practice makes perfect. ;)

Funny, I never did that on any of my older bikes, and one day just started doing that after thinking how a paddle-shift Ferrari works. I was surprised to hear some other people did it, but it works very well once you get used to doing it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Stick to OEM clutch plates. They work great and will hold up on the street or the track. Don't get lazy and rely on the slipper alone, continue to feed the clutch out on downshifts. The smoother you are, the faster you'll be. You will still be able to bump-start your bike with a slipper. If you spend some time racing a bike without a slipper, and then move to a bike with a slipper you'll notice the benefits immediately. You can brake later in the corners and use the engine to slow you down more. You don't have to blip the throttle anymore and won't have to be as hard on the front brakes.
Really? I thought the ramping system would prevent that. Maybe it allows JUST enough friction between the plates, or is there some kinda mechanism that makes it a slipper only when a certain amount of rotational inertia is present (engine running). Hmmmmm...

Is it harder to do, and do you feel clutch slip while doing it?

dragos13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Really? I thought the ramping system would prevent that. Maybe it allows JUST enough friction between the plates, or is there some kinda mechanism that makes it a slipper only when a certain amount of rotational inertia is present (engine running). Hmmmmm...

Is it harder to do, and do you feel clutch slip while doing it?

I have bump started a lot of bikes with slippers and it feels pretty much identical to ones that don't have one. I think you need really high rev's and lots of resistance for the clutch to slip. Remember, when you are getting on the gas the motor pulls strong. Same concept here. It slips very little only when MAJOR forces are pushed against it.

rybo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Might depend on the clutch.

You would be hard pressed to bump start my ducati. My buddy Eric's 1000SS is near impossible. We could get it done by pushing it about 35 MPH with a scooter, but there was no way it was going by people pushing it.

I know there is no chance of getting any of the BMS bikes bump started, they have a special pin they insert into the clutch to bind it up during the start operation.

dragos13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah I'm just talking about Yamaha and Kawasaki. My pockets are too empty to have experience with Ducati and BMW ;)

rybo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah I'm just talking about Yamaha and Kawasaki. My pockets are too empty to have experience with Ducati and BMW ;)

Yeah, my ducati is only 15 years old, hopefully it lasts a while.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/goped.gif

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, my ducati is only 15 years old, hopefully it lasts a while.
It's that old? I thought it was mid-2000-ish? I thought I was riding an anachronism on my '01!

rybo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM