PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for tires

Gallep
Sun May 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Anyone know of a good track/street tire?

Wahooman
Sun May 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I would say go with the M1 sportecs or the Michelin Pilot Powers. I have been using Metzlers 100% and love them. If you ride them hard you won't get a lot of mileage out of them, but they stick just fine at the track or in the twisties. I ran PPIR on Friday with them and only after riding about 20 minutes did they slip slightly when I got on it out of turn 3....they were a little greasy. I bought a set of Michelins down there....everyone has been talking these up. Barn and Ralph were both riding on them at the track and LOVE them. THey were wearing nicely and appeared to be sticking like glue. Talk to Ralph (rforsythe on CSC) about the Michelins, if you are looking for the M1s or something else....look up our store.....Twin Peaks Powersports ;)

Gallep
Sun May 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM
thanks man, i think i'm looking for some dunlops or pirelle, 180/55/17 and a 120/60/17. i'll buy them locally if i can help it.

rybo
Sun May 15th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Gallep,

If you want to expand your tire choices some you can put the 120/70 on front without major issue. Use the ride height adjuster on the rear suspension to raise the rear height a little to compensate.

I've run several different brands of tires on my 748 and can offer the following info.

OE: Pirelli Dragon
These were pretty decent tires, but didn't last long at all. They were not the current generation, so the new ones may be better. My bike gets ridden on the street and the track, so probably a lot like you plan on using yours. The pirellis were an overall good tire excepting tire life (about 3K)

Set 2: Dunlop D208

This was a really good all around tire and I changed to the 120/70 and raised the rear ride height for them. Good life (4500 miles) and overall a good tire. It turned in nicely and gave lots of warning when I was getting close to the edge.

Set 3 (current) Bridgestone BT-014

The last street bike I owned was a Triumph Daytona and it had BT-56 bridgestones on it. I was never impressed with this tire for a number of reasons. One was that it warmed up really slowly and was REALLY slippery until it was warm. I never knew when I could start to push a little and got spooked a couple of times when they slid without warning. A little later I got an FZR400 for the track and the only decent tires that are available for it are made by bridgestone, a race only DOT called the BT090. These were unbelieveable, awesome tires, leading me to giving the 014s a try. I've got about 1000 miles on them as of today and they seem to be holding up well. They turn in better than the D208s did and I'm starting to really like them. I've not had them on the track yet, but will be taking the bike to Road Americal at the end of the month. I'll probably post up about that when I get back.

I've had Metzeler's on the Triumph as well and thought the Sportec M1 was a great tire. No idea on how long it lasted as I sold the bike before they were worn out.

Best to you

Scott

justinCO
Tue May 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I was going to ask the same question :) Is there a current day equivalent to the old Michelin Pilot Sport tires? That's what I used to use at the track and liked them a lot. Are the Pilot Powers the tire I am thinking of?

Also, is the M1 the Metzler? Thanks!

jplracing
Tue May 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Not sure if you are interested in a set of Race Take offs.

If so I have a set of Michelin

S2 Front 120/70/17
H2 Rear 180

$60.00 if you are interested

Joe

eric
Tue May 31st, 2005, 05:09 PM
I've had luck with Avons......