PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Experienced Rider to Learn From

deadline
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
Looking for experienced rider, to learn from in the canyons. I have little over a year of riding experience overall. Learn best if I ride with good rider whom I can shadow basically.

I should add that I spent the entire summer last year doing canyons with a couple of good riders who are now no longer live here. So I am not completely new to this. Still, I find it easier to push myself farther if I follow by example.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Where are you located? It would probably be best if an experienced rider shadows you. If they follow, they can identify errors ans help you correct them.

Slo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
+1, definitely have someone follow you, then that person will know of some corrections for you, and also will know a pace that has you at ease up in the twisties while learning.

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Miles > Years.

VFR
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Go to the track if your going to be trying to push it! Less distractions and obsticles and all techniques will transfer to the streets (just slower).

You may think it's expensive but really a trackday will only be little more than what you paid for a MSF course.

If you are looking to just become a better street rider then good luck and stay safe.

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
IMI is $35.

VFR
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
What no Kool-Aid sign? IMPOSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
PM me if you'd like to ride.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Here follow me for a bit :lol:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40173
Honestly though there is some things you can take out of this video, first off, "The Pace" We were riding just above speed limit in the open straights and very stealth through populated areas. Wick it up in the corners and have all the fun the road can offer without taking stupid chances in the boring parts. Ideally you don't want to be on the brakes entering the corners but I see that I am trail braking into some of them, habit I suppose.
Secondly as you can see a set of Dunlop Q2's can corner adequately, you can trust your tires more than you expect.
Finally, body position is very important, good position makes the corners a joy to ride, bad positioning makes this difficult and dangerous.

It isn't often you get a good video of yourself, and I learned a couple of things about my technique I need to work on.

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
It isn't often you get a good video of yourself, and I learned a couple of things about my technique I need to work on.

Like leaning off? ;) And I know I'm not one to talk.

Thinking about going to IMI soon now that my leathers fit and I gots Q2s.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Why lean off? I have my weight shifted, at those speeds that is all that is required, leaning off accomplishes two thing in this setting, a lot of extra work and looks like you are trying to go really fast. The second will do nothing more than attract attention to yourself. I save my leaning of for the track where it is physically beneficial.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Where are you located? It would probably be best if an experienced rider shadows you. If they follow, they can identify errors ans help you correct them.

I disagree with this for any sort of training on the street.

I think in the early times of learning it is better to follow a RESPONSIBLE teacher. That way the instructor can set the pace, watch for traffic and other obsitcles.

The student can then focus soley on bike control and watching the proper line of the instructor.

The problem with following the student, is that while you can see someone doing stuff you have no control over their speed, line or what they are actually watching (Traffic). This is why the track/cloased course is so good for teaching RIDING SKILLS, not TRAFFIC skills.

The best way to learn is to master the skill first, then gradually challenge yourself with a LITTLE speed at a time. An instructor in front, on the street, can help to control the pace.

Once a certain level of basic skill is reached, THEN it is appropriate for the instructor to ride behind to enhance the leaning experience by observing what the student is doing.

Ideally, it would be great to have someone in front and behind.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM

I think in the early times of learning it is better to follow a RESPONSIBLE teacher. That way the instructor can set the pace, watch for traffic and other obsitcles.

The student can then focus soley on bike control and watching the proper line of the instructor.

The problem with following the student, is that while you can see someone doing stuff you have no control over their speed, line or what they are actually watching (Traffic). This is why the track/cloased course is so good for teaching RIDING SKILLS, not TRAFFIC skills.

The best way to learn is to master the skill first, then gradually challenge yourself with a LITTLE speed at a time. An instructor in front, on the street, can help to control the pace.

Once a certain level of basic skill is reached, THEN it is appropriate for the instructor to ride behind to enhance the leaning experience by observing what the student is doing.

I don't necessarily disagree, but having an unskilled rider following an experienced rider through a canyon can present issues. What is a normal pace for me may be entirely too fast for someone else. It's great to see someone else's line and technique, but there's so much going on before you take that curve that the inexperienced rider can't see. The inexperienced rider also doesn't understand turn-in or braking points, so following someone who is comfortable braking late or turning sharply adds a lot of stress on someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I do agree it's best to have one ahead and one behind.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Formal instruction on the street is a bad idea. Riding with more experienced riders on the street to ameliorate (i like that word) your riding isn't such a bad idea, depending on who you're riding with and as long as you're not pushing your limit in order to maintain their pace.

If you're goal is to be better at braking, throttle control, body positioning,etc, then take a course at the track. You will be amazed how much one day of track riding will improve your street riding skills.

Some options for you-

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495

http://www.rickyorlando.com/denver-motorcycle-classes/motorcycle-advanced-classes/

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/2011-high-plains-raceway

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Miles > Years.

I would say experience > miles...

you can learn some from riding in a straight line, but not all of it applies to canyon riding...

Go to the track if your going to be trying to push it!

If you are looking to just become a better street rider then good luck and stay safe.

+ 100000000

Alot of folks have been looking for this sort of guidance recently. I was new to the CO scene 2 years ago, I started out by following people that seemed like they knew what they were doing in the canyons, then I did my first trackday. One day with the instructors at Chicane had me feeling more comfortable on my bike than years in the canyons would.

I still don't "push it" at the track, but I can def carry a much faster pace then on the street with less risk. Also, even though you may be a self proclaimed hero in the canyons, you will be humbled on the track...

"The Pace" We were riding just above speed limit in the open straights and very stealth through populated areas. Wick it up in the corners and have all the fun the road can offer without taking stupid chances in the boring parts. Ideally you don't want to be on the brakes entering the corners but I see that I am trail braking into some of them, habit I suppose.

werd...I find myself trail braking too :banghead: silly racing

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I don't necessarily disagree, but having an unskilled rider following an experienced rider through a canyon can present issues. What is a normal pace for me may be entirely too fast for someone else. It's great to see someone else's line and technique, but there's so much going on before you take that curve that the inexperienced rider can't see. The inexperienced rider also doesn't understand turn-in or braking points, so following someone who is comfortable braking late or turning sharply adds a lot of stress on someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I do agree it's best to have one ahead and one behind.

That's why you're not a teacher.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM

Care to explain? I've seen a few of your posts and they usually seem to be single-sentence barbs. U trolling or what?

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
A graduate of the Vellos school of trollin'

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM

say wha :wtf:

brennahm
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
This is awesome! Some of the slowest people around calling out some very good riders? Good 'ole CSC.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
say wha :wtf:

This is awesome! Some of the slowest people around calling out some very good riders? Good 'ole CSC.

Indeed

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM

That's because everyone thinks they're an expert. :lol:

pauliep
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
I took my buddy out this weekend and had been giving him a lot of help in the past couple years. Leading and seeing him in my big stock mirrors gave me a good view. It also allowed me to give him feedback without having to pull over. Some body motions inbetween turns to remind him to turn his head more and loosen his hands/arms can fix things before the next time so he can feel the difference right away.

But I also do agree with following to look for corrections. If someone can handle absorbing a lot of information then switch it up and keep giving him feedback.

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
That's because everyone thinks they're an expert. :lol:

I'm an expert on being an expert...on being a novice...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
General rule of thumb: Wanna learn? Befriend an older, experienced sportbike rider who wears the proper gear. ;) Buy him lots of good food and post-ride beers. If you're willing to learn, you'll learn tons of relevant street riding lessons learned over many years in a short time. And the old guy gets a good meal and some beers out of the deal. WINNING!

Snowman
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
^^^ out of food stamps again Frank?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
^^^ out of food stamps again Frank?
Damn! Busted!:lol:

But seriously, when/where I started riding, there was no older sportbike riders, just some Hardley types and the occasional guy on a Beemer. So, I ended up riding with 2 other friends who got sportbikes right after I did, but they were squids, and did a bunch of stoopid stunts/stuff. I still rode with them, but never learned anything from either of them. and it was a lot less scary riding out in front of them or solo so they couldn't take me out if they did something stoopid (which they were prone to do). It wasn't until I came here that I found some good riders to ride with, and though I mostly ride solo, I've learned a lot from the canyons themselves, and the times I've had the pleasure of having experienced riders to ride with and especially show me the way on unfamiliar roads (like Deckers. etc.).

Like I said, befriend an old guy.......just avoid THIS one..... :)

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but having an unskilled rider following an experienced rider through a canyon can present issues. What is a normal pace for me may be entirely too fast for someone else.

This is why I pointed out in my original post that it needed to be a RESPONSIBLE teacher. Running at "your normal pace" is not proper instruction. Its just ego and showing off if that pace is faster than the student is capable of. It does no one any good.

Only after a skill is mastered at the lower speed should more speed be added. Then only in small incriments until it is mastered at every level.

It's great to see someone else's line and technique, but there's so much going on before you take that curve that the inexperienced rider can't see. The inexperienced rider also doesn't understand turn-in or braking points, so following someone who is comfortable braking late or turning sharply adds a lot of stress on someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

And how are they going to see where you brake, or where you turn if the student is in front of you? (going into the corner too fast on the wrong line and going to hurt themselves and all you can do is watch from behind).

Seriously, the point of being in front in this case is so that you can show them where to brake, where to turn and CONTROL the speed. I newer rider in front is going to try to go faster to "not hold you up" or try to do what they have not learned yet. This gets them in trouble.

dirkterrell
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Good instruction will involve both leading and following by the experienced rider. Start by leading with prior instruction on what you will be demonstrating, be it body positioning, lines, pace, etc. Then discuss what they saw and answer their questions. Then let them lead so that you can give them feedback. Repeat, focusing on things they need to improve.

I agree that the track is the best place to practice things like body positioning, braking and lines, i.e. the mechanics of riding. It eliminates some of the dangerous distractions of the street. IMI is great for this sort of thing. But there are things about being on the street that you need to master after becoming proficient at making the bike do what you need it to do, e.g. approaching intersections, moving through traffic, reading drivers and predicting what they are going to do, etc.

Dirk

Slo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
In the end, there are many techniques on how to help a newbie, also depends on just how new the person is or what they are trying to accomplish.

The person helping though.... I do agree with several different posts, should be someone focused on how to help in the safest possible way.

The old "ride your own ride" is not helping when it comes to a newbie.

dirkterrell
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
The old "ride your own ride" is not helping when it comes to a newbie.

Exactly right. True newbies won't really know what "their" ride is. Best to find out in a measured, progressive way rather than sliding down the road.

Slo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Looking for experienced rider, to learn from in the canyons. I have little over a year of riding experience overall. Learn best if I ride with good rider whom I can shadow basically.

We all just turned this into a typical CSC cluster f*ck.... apologies from my end....

What side of town do you live?

deadline
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM

Yes. With nobody in front of me, I am just not sure what I can get away with, but with someone in front to copy(as long as they are not going too fast) I can relax and just work on my technique. I rode last year with a good buddy of mine, but he has moved out of the area since then. I got a few more riders on my block who are all less experienced and will come along and follow responsible leader.

deadline
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
We all just turned this into a typical CSC cluster f*ck.... apologies from my end....

What side of town do you live?

Superior... we were thinking of going to Estes Park this Friday afternoon.

Slo
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Ahhh alright, weekends only for me.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Agree.

The fast guys don't ever need to brag about being fast. They just keep flying through the corners and outta sight...sometimes while looking back at you from their TLR... :lol:

Regarding learning style, it's different for different folks, but I've found it's usually best to have a noob go at a comfortable pace through a section with an experienced rider behind to gauge speed, comfort level, and be able to provide some tips to work on. Then the experienced rider can lead a speed in the noob's comfort zone to demonstrate the proper way to do things like how to hold your body, how to set your speed, the benefit of looking through corners, etc. **EDIT: Shoulda read Dirk's post first! :lol: ***

Going through corners smoother will take you through the corners faster.

Oh and most of the folks who say they're fast on the CSC aren't.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes. With nobody in font of me, I am just not sure what I can get away with, but with someone in front to copy(as long as they are not going too fast) I can relax and just work my technique. I rode last year with a good buddy of mine, but he has moved out of the area since then. I got a few more rides on my block who are all less experienced and will come along and follow responsible leader.
Only down side to always following someone is that without them there, you get accustomed to following a person and not the road. With no one in front of you, you've got to rely entirely on yourself, so a lot of what you learn hits home

brennahm
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
^+1

Besides, you shouldn't be going fast enough on the streets (especially with a noob) where lines and braking points make a difference.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I agree that the track is the best place to practice things like body positioning, braking and lines, i.e. the mechanics of riding. It eliminates some of the dangerous distractions of the street.

Dirk

Just want to add something to this. "The line" varies. A perfect line on a track corner is not going to be appropriate on a canyon corner. So some things can only be learned on the street.

Like how to take the line though a blind corner OT allow proper margin for error. (speed, lane position, etc).

Too many people treating the canyons like a racetrack! Typically, the faster they are going, the less "experience" they really have!

aerofaze
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
The noobs should all get schooled from the front and the back. :eyebrows:

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
I remember leading and showing a new rider the lean angles you could safely achieve in the rain on OEM tires. While he was still hesitant to up the pace immediately, the next time was a different story.

There are a lot of "teachers" who will run off without you in traffic, and demonstrate a cardinal sin in instruction: impatience with themselves, others, and the student. Those who are mature enough to be comfortable with themselves and their skill level usually try a few different approaches to teach you.

Some of the approaches include:
1. Following you to understand your riding ability
2. Leading you to give you a close-up look
3. Feedback and advice-
i. "You can be a little quicker with your steering"
ii. "You can ride on the outside line before turning in"
iii. "You can set your entry speed by the way the corners look before you approach"
iv. "You can look a little more through the corners"
v. "You can keep your eyes in front of me, not on me"
vi. "You can relax, just push on the bars, and let your head move into the turn."
vii. "You can gently stand it up and use your brakes to re-set corner speed."

4. Suggest exercises for when the student is by themselves
i. Parking lot exercises
ii. Visual exercises
iii. Mental exercises

Hope we can see an improvement in the quality of "teachers" out there :).

salsashark
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
The noobs should all get schooled from the front and the back. :eyebrows:

:lol: why does this remind me of Pee wee Herman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKsd8z6scw&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s)?!

dirkterrell
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Just want to add something to this. "The line" varies. A perfect line on a track corner is not going to be appropriate on a canyon corner. So some things can only be learned on the street.

Yes. That's why I said "lines" rather than "the line". Riders should understand how different lines through a corner affect what happens. The "fast" line through a corner isn't always what you want, even when racing. But I still think that the concepts can (and probably should) be taught and perfected on the track. Then when you get on the street, you've got the concepts down so that you can focus more CPU power on the other things that come at you on the street.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
This is why I pointed out in my original post that it needed to be a RESPONSIBLE teacher. Running at "your normal pace" is not proper instruction. Its just ego and showing off if that pace is faster than the student is capable of. It does no one any good.

Only after a skill is mastered at the lower speed should more speed be added. Then only in small incriments until it is mastered at every level.

And how are they going to see where you brake, or where you turn if the student is in front of you? (going into the corner too fast on the wrong line and going to hurt themselves and all you can do is watch from behind).

Seriously, the point of being in front in this case is so that you can show them where to brake, where to turn and CONTROL the speed. I newer rider in front is going to try to go faster to "not hold you up" or try to do what they have not learned yet. This gets them in trouble.

Everything you've said against following also applies to leading. In order to be a RESPONSIBLE teacher, you also need a RESPONSIBLE student. Leading doesn't change or prevent the student from crashing, it just changes your view of the crash. Il just say we'll agree to disagree.

/insert finklestein's comment here

Sean
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Looking for experienced rider, to learn from in the canyons. I have little over a year of riding experience overall. Learn best if I ride with good rider whom I can shadow basically.Wow, there is LOTS of...information in this thread. Here's my $.02

1. Hands down, the best thing you can ever do, is go to the Chicane track day coming up. It's a controlled environment with TONS of great rider coaches. THe best money you will ever spend.

2. Any class is good. ABATE, T3RG or others are really good. I took one and it is well worth the time and energy. That way you know who is teaching you.

3. IMI is fine if you have a knowledgeable person with you. Be careful who you deem as "knowledgeable."

4. Canyons are not really safe to work on things with, there are to many variables. BUT, we have all worked on stuff in the canyons, because they are right there.

5. Pick and choose on online forums who you want to listen to. Including me. You have no idea who anybody is. When I was starting out I chose to listen to people who race and have single/double digits on their number plate. It served me fairly well.

I'm in Boulder/Broomfield and would be happy to go out with you sometime after work. I don't have a sportbike anymore, but I should be able to keep up on the roads in this area just fine.

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM

Shut your mouth.

And before I forget...

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/LlamaWorm.jpg

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
4. Canyons are not really safe to work on things with, there are to many variables. BUT, we have all worked on stuff in the canyons, because they are right there.

Depends on what you want to work on. Riding at the track can help you work on alot of different things, but there are alot of things that we do that newer riders may not think of.

- Lane positioning to gain better visibility around corners
- tranferring weight on the bike without "hanging off"
- referrence points for street riding, as well as "lines"

these are things that don't necessarily come up in track oriented classes, but are skillsets that we use every time we ride and probably treat as second nature.

Sean
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Dave, I agree that there are things you can work on. What I meant by "safe" is allowing for error (blowing a corner, tucking the front end), not worrying about conditions (gravel, sand, etc), not worrying about traffic (going as slow or fast as you want) and just being able to focus on one thing. I agree there are good things to learn and no matter what, we'll all use the canyons to learn things. Are canyons optimal, maybe not, but your right, they'll teach us stuff we probably won't get at the track.

InSuPress
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
General rule of thumb: Wanna learn? Befriend an older, experienced sportbike rider who wears the proper gear. ;) Buy him lots of good food and post-ride beers. If you're willing to learn, you'll learn tons of relevant street riding lessons learned over many years in a short time. And the old guy gets a good meal and some beers out of the deal. WINNING!

Totally agree with Cycle here

1) NEVER ride out of your comfort zone. Ride withing your ability and never push yourself too hard. Follow some and watch how they ride. then have them follow you and have them give you pointers.

2) Get to know your bike. take it to an empty parking lot both dry and wet. you need to put yourself in situation where you know what the bike will do. that way you don't panic in situations.

3) till you have some riding seasons under your belt you should not be riding two up, despite how bad your sig other wants to go. even after then you should be going back over the steps above and relearn riding two up. stopping distance increases so you need to be thinking in advance.

Always go into a corner calm and controlled you can always make up speed coming out of the turns plus you'll feel more comfortable and just through the natural course of time the speed will come but don't push things.

Mike

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Care to explain? I've seen a few of your posts and they usually seem to be single-sentence barbs. U trolling or what?

Your posts explains it, for me to explain it further would be a waste of my time and yours.

I'm not trolling, just stating my opinion, as you are.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Being willing to learn something new will often require you to explore if your preconceived notions are correct.

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Your posts explains it, for me to explain it further would be a waste of my time and yours.

I'm not sure who's right here but you're being an idiot. He's talking about the topic at hand, and you're talking about him.

This isn't "my grazing insult was actually just the truth, don't be offended" hour with your boyfriends. Learn some manners.

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM

Shuuuuuuuutttt your mouth.

Sean
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Learn some manners.I like this. It should be used more around here! :up:

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPp4zyJXM28

My study guides

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac110/finklestein87/2011-06-02174147.jpg

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM

:idea:

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=774JiSMWdQQ

1:15

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Too bad you're still slow as balls.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Book learnin' is one thing, real life is well..........real.

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM

Dude, you are giving me way to much attention. I don't care whether I'm slow or not. My goal is to have fun, while being as safe as possible. I don't know how your infatuation with me came into play, but its rather childish. Judging by your facebook, I'm not too surprised :lol:

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Book learnin' is one thing, real life is well..........real.

What are you trying to argue against? Is this beat up on Finklestein day? :harrrrr:

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
The truth is somewhere in the middle, I'm willing to bet my left shoulder on it :).

In any case, I hope the OP gets someone good to teach him.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
You are on a public forum what do you expect?

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
I only give you attention on your dumbass posts. Like the video of the nameless road in canyon conditions, really?

BlueRanger
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/LlamaWorm.jpg

^ whaaat the fck is that?

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
I only give you attention on your dumbass posts. Like the video of the nameless road in canyon conditions, really?

I'm sorry you think they are dumb, but others my find them useful or enjoyable.

Or i could respond with...

You are on a public forum what do you expect?

But either way, I'd be more than happy to create a video that suites your tastes, if you give me the opportunity.

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
^ whaaat the fck is that?

The new sextoy for exclusive members of the llamapornhub.com

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I don't care whether I'm slow or not. My goal is to have fun, while being as safe as possible.

I have ridden with you...Granted you are new in CO, and canyon riding (I hope) because being slow is OK in my book, but following way to close and being unpredictable is not so OK, and least of all safe. Having to be told by another rider to back off is not a compliment.

I realize this is the interwebz and all, but you should recognize that this group isn't that big, and you may have the pleasure of meeting CZ in person at some point...If you have the balls to talk like you type to him you are a bigger man than I...and I've met you...and you aren't

Shouldn't you be fondling horses...

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Shouldn't you be fondling horses...

That was the plan. Am I not allowed to troll?

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
but following way to close and being unpredictable is not so OK, and least of all safe. Having to be told by another rider to back off is not a compliment.

We've already gone over this.

I realize this is the interwebz and all, but you should recognize that this group isn't that big, and you may have the pleasure of meeting CZ in person at some point...If you have the balls to talk like you type to him you are a bigger man than I...and I've met you...and you aren't

I am just defending myself as politely as possible. I'm sure if we were all sitting down in person this discussion would not be so hostile. Internet does that

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
We've already gone over this.

I am just defending myself as politely as possible. I'm sure if we were all sitting down in person this discussion would not be so hostile. Internet does that

When you start your riding clinic and teach CaneZach how to ride, please at least put it on YouTube

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
When you go to the track for the first time please post that on YouTube as well. And since you already know how to ride you don't need an instructor there, right?

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
When you start your riding clinic and teach CaneZach how to ride, please at least put it on YouTube

I'm sorry if it came off I was trying to be a teacher. I disagreed with his statement, nothing against him personally, and provided the tools I myself am using.

Finklestein87
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
When you go to the track for the first time please post that on YouTube as well. And since you already know how to ride you don't need an instructor there, right?

Where is that coming from? How many times have I said I'm a noob? How many times have others reiterated that fact?

Its old man.

Bugkiller1
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
My advice; start slow, stay in the back of the group and find a rider slightly faster than you to follow. Focus on your technique and talk to riders at the stops. Have fun but also take it seriously if you want to improve.

I followed Bueller and Arley for a while when I moved out here 7 years ago, and I still do. ;-). Always trying to improve!

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
My advice; start slow, stay in the back of the group and find a rider slightly faster than you to follow. Focus on your technique and talk to riders at the stops. Have fun but also take it seriously if you want to improve.

I followed Bueller and Arley for a while when I moved out here 7 years ago, and I still do. ;-). Always trying to improve!

Bugkiller, did you bring a hypermotard and a supermoto to IMI last fall?
There's a guy that used to visit that place (I can't remember his name) who helped me out a ton when I first got to Colorado last year.

Bugkiller1
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Nope. Had my R1 up there a couple of times, that's it.

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Ok. Gotta find this guy and let him know I'm alive :).

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
How many times have I said I'm a noob? How many times have others reiterated that fact?

This is why you shouldn't have told someone who isn't new to riding that they aren't qualified to give advice - in the dickest way possible. And I'm a pretty nice fella, but you sir need to get over yourself before you earn any respect.

Bueller
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Bughunter (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3493)

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM

Holy crap, that's him!

This is why you shouldn't have told someone who isn't new to riding that they aren't qualified to give advice - in the dickest way possible. And I'm a pretty nice fella, but you sir need to get over yourself before you earn any respect.

Alright, drop it.

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM

^^

Vellos
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Alright, drop it.

http://blogville.dailyadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/loldog-funny-pictures-you-got-it-babe.jpg

When are we going to dick around on your mini? Got a MRI appointment tomorrow for my back, but I'm rather free this weekend.

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
^^

My first real track friend.

My second real track ene-err friend was Bueller :lol:. Then Matty, then ponytail guy. Darn, I was getting pretty fast before I ate dirt and crushed my shoulder!

Can't wait to get out there again :) New year, new mindset.

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
http://blogville.dailyadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/loldog-funny-pictures-you-got-it-babe.jpg

When are we going to dick around on your mini? Got a MRI appointment tomorrow for my back, but I'm rather free this weekend.

Oh man that's cute. I think we're good for Saturday, pending UHaul trailer rental heh.

thankgod
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Vellos is right tho...he's sweeter than a basket of kittens!

duelist13
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Vellos is right tho...he's sweeter than a basket of kittens!

Those are pretty tasty, aren't they?

thankgod
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Delish!

Those are pretty tasty, aren't they?

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
<~~~~~~ Got the name for a reason, but as I progressed it was from riding with and learning from the more experienced riders here. That doesn't necessarily mean the fastest riders. Some are MRA guys, some are just long time street guys, but all have a wealth of experience and are smart when they ride. Real life experience, as Bueller said, is where you learn. Watching videos and reading books didn't do anything for me. Having someone follow me and then allowing me to follow them at my pace made for large gains in my abilities.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
^+1

Besides, you shouldn't be going fast enough on the streets (especially with a noob) where lines and braking points make a difference.
Lines and braking points ALWAYS make a difference (between staying in your lane or heading into a tree). ;) The lines and braking points may be different depending on speed and/or bike, but they're still important. :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I concur fully with Bueller (imagine that!) on that one. While it's good to read all the books and watch all the videos you can, nothing beats real world experience on as wide a variety of roads and in as wide a variety of road and weather conditions as possible. Preferrably with an experienced rider to help. While trackday schools DO help, realize that they are TRACK oriented, and generally don't deal with broken/sandy/gravelly/dusty road conditions, decreasing-radius blind corners, rain, snow, blind corners, wild game, idiots in your lane, or any combination of the above. Yes, you do learn bike positioning, body positioning, lines, braking points, etc., but it is in an artificial environment, much easier than the street environment. While classes are always good, they often give a false sense of superiority. For the street, there's no substitute for experience.

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
then ponytail guy.
Can't wait to get out there again :) New year, new mindset.

ahh the pony tail boys...good to see you getting back out there man

Lines and braking points ALWAYS make a difference (between staying in your lane or heading into a tree).

if you use your brakes on the street to that extent...you should probably get to the track...just saying...

brennahm
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
^My point exactly. If someone who's a "noob" wants to learn canyons and they're having to pay attention to braking points then 1. they're over their head and 2. they're using the throttle in the straights and the kickstand in the corners (I'm an expert on this...don't argue).

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
A graduate of the Vellos school of trollin'

Oh lawds just saw that. Got a genuine laugh out of that! :lol: