PDA

View Full Version : RTD tax?

Ol'Skool
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
WTF is that? I went to the DMV to get plates for my bike and was told $300! The RTD tax alone is $175. The bike is 5 years old and $300 is literaly 10% of what I paid for it.
I see now why people would possibly ride around without plates:eek:
JK yall. I dont roll like that.

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
10% sounds close to what I've been paying unfortunatly. I've been told the ram the d#Šk (inside you) tax goes to repair colorado roads. So I chose to enjoy the hell out of the roads I help pave. The only way I've been abel to cheat is put less than what I paid on the title. This still seems sketch to me though. I got some mean looks when I told them I bought a 5 year old silverado for $1000. And my honda was only $50.

highpsi03
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Its my understanding they no longer go by "what you paid" and wrote on the title.

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
what? Now I have to find a new way to cheat the system. The last time I was at the dmv was december. I hope they didn't change too much I have to regiseter 3 vehicals in june

salsashark
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Its my understanding they no longer go by "what you paid" and wrote on the title.

yep... it sucks.

When I bought my 1125R, I had to pay registration fees based on the MSRP which was 12K. Even though I only paid 6K for the bike!

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
yep... it sucks.

When I bought my 1125R, I had to pay registration fees based on the MSRP which was 12K. Even though I only paid 6K for the bike!

Is that just the first year or every year.

salsashark
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
It decreases every year but they establish the initial value that way. Now this was on a new bike, and I didn't keep it even 1 year so I don't know how much it might have come down.

longrider
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
There are 2 different taxes being discussed here, sales tax is a one time tax and is based on what you paid. Whether or not they will accept a private bill of sale or a title statement with a low value I dont know. Ownership tax is an annual tax that is based on MSRP and declines over the years.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Regarding the RTD tax...I didn't exactly like it, but having lived in Texas, Oklahoma, SoCal, Maine, and Florida, I can tell you that Denver has some of the nicer roads out there. A lot of it has to do with the ground, as in the south in particular the soil shifts all the time, creating problems with pavement. Here in CO it's solid and even the harsh winter conditions can be dealt with pretty well to keep most roads in good shape. If having nice canyon roads to carve means I have to pay a bit annually, then I'll suck it up without too much grumbling.

As far as the "owner tax"...I was pissed. My bike is 11 years old, I legitimately paid $1,700 for it in Texas (even had paperwork showing such), yet I get taxed based on $6,000. Total bullshit. It's the only thing that CO has done to me that truly pissed me off.