PDA

View Full Version : Random post about feelings

TheStig
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I just want to vent about my bike addiction. Every winter I find an excuse to get rid of my bike. I had pretty good reasons this time, new baby, no money etc. Typical reasons. But every time I'm bikeless I ITCH for another one. When I sold my SV I think I made it 5 days before I made the decision to put a triple in the garage. Now that the triple is gone I have made it about a month and am selling my project car to get a bike. I don't know what it is but I cant live without them! I feel like this round is gonna be kinda fun because of money reasons I cant afford much so Im really open on what kind of bike I get. Im even thinking of hitting up an auction for a wrecked newer sportbike. Any tips from those who have done that? Also any new dads out there that feel guilty for having a bike and a baby? Kind of the whole she needs me thing, what happens if I die or end up a sack of drool?

TheStig
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Oh and just to make this post worth your while...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/cust112058498261230941068.jpg

BC14
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Sweet pic.... and yes, it is an OBSESSION..... I've got it pretty bad myself too.

Ghost
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Oh and just to make this post worth your while...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/cust112058498261230941068.jpg

Is it wrong to want both?

rfranks303
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
A wise man once told me " a motorcycle addiction makes a heroin addiction look like a salt craving". I bought the bike I have now about 6 months after my son was born so I know how you feel. I see it like this, life does not end when your kids get here it starts. My son loves anything with two wheels its become our "thing" he goes to open houses with me cycle stores and anywhere else he can observe bikes. When its time to run tclocs he's all about it. He has however calmed my riding habbits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you give up your hobbys your not going to be any fun to be around anyway. Your gonna need a relaxing hobby because the first year is rough then its terrable 2s and potty training.

There are a lot more fathers on this forum then you think.

rforsythe
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Word to the last poster. Get and keep the bike, you may not use it much the first year of daddy-hood but you'll really appreciate the times you do. It gets easier from there.

zPurpleRoom
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
I am not a father but speaking from a son perspective....some of the most vivid memories I have of my childhood are of my father and I riding together; in the dirt, trail riding the mountains, or riding 2 up when he picked me up from school to go up a pass or weekend poker run. I would cry for days when my dad would sell a bike because I thought he was selling away the memories and potential fun times to be had. Instead, he taught me that bikes come and go but the memories will remain. Make memories with your kids. Show them your passion for living. They will thank you....I promise!

Every Spring, the "itch" to ride is ridiculous. Some Springs are worse than others. For example, after being poor and without a ride for the past five years I broke down this Spring because the itch was just too bad not to scratch. Oddly enough, you remember a lot when you get back on after an extensive hiatus but the finer points are lost. That's where the fun begins....getting back to where you once were and pushing yourself a bit further to become even better. That's when you know it is more than just a hobby or a toy to impress your friends....it's in your blood...it's in your soul.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
our first will be born this month.

I have no plans to sell either bike.

MAZIN
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Congrats to the new and soon to be new daddys on the board! I can relate to the "Itch". I got rid of my R1 to take care of some college bills when I was going for my DOD Clearence and 4 years later I still have not replaced her. I do have a Dirtbike and love it but its still not the same as hitting 76 east and just opening it up to see how fast you can go. I will be getting another but not until augest or sept so until then I will just have to drool and day dream.

TheStig
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. I didnt sell the triple right away, but I felt like it was unfair as I wasnt riding it other than to work. But I realize now thats not such a bad thing, its still riding. Im hopefully selling the project car tomorrow and will have about 4k to buy a bike with. Thinking of a superhawk or older R1.

usmcab35
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
i agree of the making memories part posted above, i sell them and get new ones quite often.. and i never get spring fever cause if there aint snow im riding, even if its just to work!!

TheStig
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Made me teary 60pan. Reminded me of playing outside and hearing my dads bonneville ripping down the street on his way home. Always loved how I could hear him coming and would get so excited he was home.

TheStig
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Welp, I did it...I bought another bike.

2003 Bonneville. I know its not all your cups of tea but I F'ing love it. Im super stoked to pick it up this sunday. Im going to be riding it back from NM on Sunday in one day. Rearsets, clubmans, and some predators coming up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250831008679&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#v4-36

madvlad
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Its a legacy to share with your children and it builds character and a way of life. Hell better than have them in gangs or drugs