PDA

View Full Version : New Jacket

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
First off, I just purchased a new jacket yesterday: Scorpion Stinger Phantom. Got it for a nice $300 before tax. Now here's the screwed up part: I had to fight to get the 20% off even though it was advertised as such at a certain motorcycle dealer in the town I live in (check my location under my avatar).

Who here thinks that an "instant rebate" in any way indicates "store credit only"? Yet that is what this particular store (G r a n d P r i x) is trying to pull. I had to go through to two managers in order to get satisfaction on their "instant rebate". They tried telling me that it doesn't say "discount", therefore it's in-store credit only. Yet a simple google search will tell one otherwise-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_rebate

However, there is this quote on the "Instant rebate" page of Wiki under "Recent Trends":

Instead of checks, prepaid gift cards are being given by many stores. Merchants like these cards, as they cannot be redeemed for cash and must be spent.

Now this would have been fine if it had been advertised as such by the above mentioned entity. I wouldn't have been able to buy the jacket regardless, but at least it would have been honest advertising.

Anyway, it was a hassle, but the second manager did make it right without much verbal sparring, so I suppose all's well that ends well. So that's my story of how I acquired my new badass jacket...=P

Finklestein87
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Working in customer experience it sounds like miscommunication on the stores part. The second manager did the right thing by just honoring it and moving on.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Working in customer experience it sounds like miscommunication on the stores part. The second manager did the right thing by just honoring it and moving on.

But don't stores such as this one have legal people they run this crap past before putting out the advertising? My search on rebates has yielded a vast majority of info stating that a rebate is a "reduction in price" and/or "an amount paid back to the customer". The wiki quote I posted in the ONLY one I've seen that gives any indication of the rebate possibly being store credit.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I find deceptive advertising despicable. At least this time it was honored and I got what I wanted.

sloridr
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Good for you on hagling the price! I was in there buying oil and saw that same sale gimmic. I thought i'd much rather have 20% off my purchase now. Not next month. I try to buy as little as possible there. I don't care for there shop.

However that is just my personal opinion.

Congratulations on the new jacket fo sho yo!!!

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Good for you on hagling the price! I was in there buying oil and saw that same sale gimmic. I thought i'd much rather have 20% off my purchase now. Not next month. I try to buy as little as possible there. I don't care for there shop.

Any other place near by that is at least comparable on selection and price? Their prices are generally pretty close to online prices, and I'd rather support locally than online all things being equal. But given how this place handles business (their tire change prices are ridiculous), I'd rather shop someplace else. But this place is only about 3 miles from my house....

I'm up for a little bit of travel if the selection, service, and price are all better or comparable.

sloridr
Sat Jun 4th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Performance on Evans and Broadway for all things apparel and 303 cycle for tires

My house for all shop work. My labor prices are cheap. In most cases a couple beers an hour is all I charge, plus I have almost everything you'd need tool wise.