PDA

View Full Version : 919 front end noise

coaz4x4
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Still waiting on my FSM in the mail... so I reach out to the 'net'experts.

2002 919 with 15,500mi

I'm getting a speed-sensitive noise out of the front wheel/axle. Higher pitched 'squeak'. When I apply the front brakes the noise quits, but when I let off it comes right back.

I'm guessing wheel bearings, but am not past looking at the brakes as the first culprit. I do have a lot of pad left on both sides up front.

Thoughts?

MattTLS
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
That would seem to be early for bearing trouble in my experience, but how about just putting the bike up on stands and checking for movement/wobble of the wheel against its axis. If it's brake related, could be there is a sticky piston that's dragging.

rybo
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
919 has known front brake squeak problems. Check some of the 919 specifc forums.

s

coaz4x4
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM
919 has known front brake squeak problems. Check some of the 919 specifc forums.

s

That's what I'm thinking it is. Any suggestions on a forum?

VOID
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM
This is a pretty good forum for 919 owners.
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums.php
click on the Naked Bike section, most of the people there are 919 owners.

There is a common issue with the front break rotors and the only fix that is permanent is get new rotors.
Most of the time this really only shows as a break squeak though as though your pads are worn out.
My 919 has been doing this for a while, I've been putting off getting the rotors for a while but I'm thinking it's about time.