PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings?

DidUsaySomething?
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Where can I get wheel bearings pressed in greeley/loveland without going to a dealer?

Bueller
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I always do my own. use a socket that is just a bit smaller than the OD of the bearing and tap it in gently and slowly.

sloridr
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I always do my own. use a socket that is just a bit smaller than the OD of the bearing and tap it in gently and slowly.

And evenly. Do it yourself. you can do it.

MattTLS
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Have you already removed the old bearing(s)? And do you have the replacement parts?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
If you don't want to take it to a dealer or machine shop, you can tap it in gently as mentioned, but there's a better way:

Use 2 sockets or similar just smaller than the OD, and use a bolt and nut set 3/8" in dia (should fit thru square hole easily with little clearance) and tighten them up slowly. This gives a much more even press fit, almost exactly like you'd get with an arbor press, and there's a lot less chance of cocking the bearing and damaging the seat. The slight downside is it takes a little longer. Make sure you know when it's fully seated so you don't torque the bolt too hard and damage the bearings or the seats! Me, I'd find a machine shop to do it, it's probably pretty cheap and they can do it right and quickly.