PDA

View Full Version : All safety aside...how can you ride with flip-flops?

fasterlaster
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
So on my way home from work a bit ago, I caught the glimpse of a fairly attractive lady rider on a HD. Didn't think much of it other than it was a pretty nice lowrider and i tried to get a better look at the rider. Lovely flowing blonde hair (no helmet) and ....... um....... FLIP FLOPS! How the hell can you actually ride a bike in those? From my experience the gearbox on the harleys are not exactly smooth as butter.

gtn
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
All the shifts are a downward push?

sloridr
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:08 AM
So on my way home from work a bit ago, I caught the glimpse of a fairly attractive lady rider on a HD. Didn't think much of it other than it was a pretty nice lowrider and i tried to get a better look at the rider. Lovely flowing blonde hair (no helmet) and ....... um....... FLIP FLOPS! How the hell can you actually ride a bike in those? From my experience the gearbox on the harleys are not exactly smooth as butter.

Pretty much the same way you do with moccasins on...

Not a smart thing to do!!!

Sean
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
All the shifts are a downward push?
You would know, squid. :squid:

spdu4ia
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
push and push. still stupid

http://www.harley-softails.com/2000_Softails/images-ev0018/2000_Harley_Softail_Footboards_468x404.jpg

madvlad
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Not surprising as HD riders are all about defiance. I would never do it personally or ride without gear just cause I'm paranoid about it lol but yea flip flops is calling it a little too close to home lol

gtn
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I blame Sean! :doublefinger:

grim
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Thats interesting because i work with two guys one has a harley they other has a Yamaha Stratoliner (beautifull bike) and the one with the strat asked me why do you wear a helmet and jacket? you dont need that crap if you dont put your bike down! I asked him is it your stupidity that makes you feel inferior or your big bike? The main question is why the do cruisers never wear a helmet and jacket a bike is a bike its two wheels and other motorists dont pay attention whether its a sport bike or a cruiser.

Snowman
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Because if the bike can only go 65mph down hill and accelerates like a 1965 Buick Skylark, then it gives the rider the false impression of a safe ride.

It's not that they will drop the bike themselves but they will lose out once some car changes lanes into them and forces them off the road.

grim
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=Snowman;574223]Because if the bike can only go 65mph down hill and accelerates like a 1965 Buick Skylark, then it gives the rider the false impression of a safe ride.

I see your point but you know as well as i do unless they can run 65mph there screwed..doesnt matter how fast your going being seperated from your bike is gonna hurt and will prob kill you without protection.

Wrider
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Back to the OP, you can also do it if you get the shift lever between your foot and the flip-flop. Then upshifting is just pulling up on your flip flop and downshifting is just stepping down. Had to move a bike one time a block like that, never again...

madvlad
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Thats interesting because i work with two guys one has a harley they other has a Yamaha Stratoliner (beautifull bike) and the one with the strat asked me why do you wear a helmet and jacket? you dont need that crap if you dont put your bike down! I asked him is it your stupidity that makes you feel inferior or your big bike? The main question is why the do cruisers never wear a helmet and jacket a bike is a bike its two wheels and other motorists dont pay attention whether its a sport bike or a cruiser.

Yeap! And look at what happened to the cruiser rider back in 07' during the toy run... and that was controlled traffic too.... oh yes why would you need such gear....

TransNone13
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Don't forget suicide shifters...

Sarge
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have a hard enough time sitting on my bike (NOT riding) and shifting with sneakers or tennis shoes. I couldn't imagine doing it essentially barefooted.

~Barn~
Tue Jun 7th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It's not that big of a deal, right up until the point where you get hit with a small rock on your way to Boulder Reservoir on HW7.
:cussing:

chad23
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's not that big of a deal, right up until the point where you get hit with a small rock on your way to Boulder Reservoir on HW7.
:cussing: the worse was the bee between the toes. that just hurts!

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
the worse was the bee between the toes. that just hurts!

No way man that only tickled and you know it.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I get a bruise on the top of my foot without moto specific boots with extra padding on the top.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Agreed

Sean
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Agreed
:confused: What? No! That games over! You had almost a full day to blame me for the worlds problems. There are no retro blames because you forgot to fit something in.

Flip flops are hard to ride in, but Keens, that's the ticket. I mean...not that...um....I would ride in those...:oops:

asp_125
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I get a bruise on the top of my foot without moto specific boots with extra padding on the top.

These ought to solve that problem.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/armoredflipflops1.jpg

GuitarX
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Well there's a product begging for a lawsuit. LOL! Is that for real?

Depths_of_Mind
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Yes.. sadly they are real.. I've seen them advertised elsewhere and other similar designs :(

GuitarX
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yes.. sadly they are real.. I've seen them advertised elsewhere and other similar designs :(

Wow, I wish I had Cycle Monkey's avatar right now. That's exactly how I feel about this. All I can do is just shake my head at the stupidity. :no:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
the worse was the bee between the toes. that just hurts!

My buddy was riding to Lake Isabella in SoCal back in the '80's wearing shorts......and got stung on the ballz by a bee......:jawdrop:

fiveninerzero
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM
My shorts, oakleys and wife beater make it easier to shift in my flippies.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Sweet! Where can I get a 125 and a family of four to ride with me so the sandals fit in? ;) Oh right, Indonesia!

rfranks303
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM
My buddy was riding to Lake Isabella in SoCal back in the '80's wearing shorts......and got stung on the ballz by a bee......:jawdrop:

That's how you know you've really pissed of the motorcycle gods. +1 on the jaw drop:jawdrop: