PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to run out of gas?

bornwildnfree
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
On a fuel injected bike, is it a bad thing to run out of gas? I have not done this yet, but trying to figure out just how much time I have after the idiot light has proved to be difficult so Spooph recommended taking a 1 gal tank, running out of gas, then seeing how far I go on a gallon.

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Usually when the idiot light comes on it means you have 1 gallon left in your tank. You wont do any harm to the engine if you run it till its dry it just means theres no more fuel spraying into the cylinders to make them go boom and move (lamens terms). The engine will just sputter because of the lack of spray then eventually stop running cause theres nothing left to spray bada bing badda boom no damage done. Its bad if your in the middle of nowere though lol.

Ghost
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
It's never ideal to run any injected vehicle (car or bike) out of fuel. FI requires a pressurized system with a fuel pump (the whine you hear when you turn the key is the pump priming).

So, running completely out means the pump will keep spinning as long as the system's on, even without fuel in the tank since it's trying to pump fuel that isn't there. It's not catastrophic, and if you turn the bike off at the first sign of a stumble (meaning it's almost out of fuel) and you immediately refuel it, it won't be a problem.

Really, once the light comes on you usually have less than 1.0 gallon to 0.5 of a gallon left, some bikes it's .25 of a gallon (there is no longer a "reserve tank" like there used to be where you'd switch the petcock over). If you know your typical MPG, then figure you have roughly 1/4 of that once the light comes on and you should be fine (erring on the side of caution, as you probably have slightly more than that depending upon your bike).

Your manual should state the reserve, for my CBR (iirc) it's .8 or .9 of a gallon

Reyven
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
On a fuel injected bike, is it a bad thing to run out of gas? I have not done this yet, but trying to figure out just how much time I have after the idiot light has proved to be difficult so Spooph recommended taking a 1 gal tank, running out of gas, then seeing how far I go on a gallon.

Has he offered to accompany you on said trial ride?!? If not.... make him do it :P

rybo
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM

duh! of course it is because you go from riding your bike to pushing it.

You won't really do any harm to your bike by running out of gas, just your ego when you're riding with friends and have to stop.

s

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM
It's never ideal to run any injected vehicle (car or bike) out of fuel. FI requires a pressurized system with a fuel pump (the whine you hear when you turn the key is the pump priming).

So, running completely out means the pump will keep spinning as long as the system's on, even without fuel in the tank since it's trying to pump fuel that isn't there. It's not catastrophic, and if you turn the bike off at the first sign of a stumble (meaning it's almost out of fuel) and you immediately refuel it, it won't be a problem.

Really, once the light comes on you usually have less than 1.0 gallons to 0.5 of a gallon left, some bikes it's .25 of a gallon (there is no longer a "reserve tank" like there used to be where you'd switch the petcock over). If you know your typical MPG, then figure you have roughly 1/4 of that once the light comes on and you should be fine.

my bike once the idiot light comes on is .9 id hate to be on a bike that only had .25 that means your pretty much fucked. And the fuel pump will shut off once the engine stops running. it will only try pumping if you kill the power completly and turn it back on to get that prime.

bornwildnfree
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
@reyven, yes, he offered to carry the gas can even.

@rybo...what is this push you speak of?

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
@reyven, yes, he offered to carry the gas can even.

@rybo...what is this push you speak of?

they mean its when you sit on the bike and someone else pushes cause you dont have to since yer a lady!

rybo
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
they mean its when you sit on the bike and someone else pushes cause you dont have to since yer a lady!

DING!

I nominate Spooph!

Ghost
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
The thing is, it's all kinda moot, since how far you can get on 'E' is dependent upon all the things that affect your MPG in general, so running it out of gas in a "controlled" situation down here won't give you the same result that running down I-70 at 80mph would...my MPG can vary significantly based on where and how I was riding.

Ultimately, when the light's on, get gas. You can push it if you're between exits or out in BFE and have to, and then you may really see how far you can go, but otherwise, why try it?

Spooph
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I suggested it because my fuel tank is listed as holding 4.8gal, but I have personally put 5.1 in when I did this test.... I now know for a fact that I can do 250mi to a tank, and if I like to gamble, can sometimes get 300mi. The spec sheets can say what they may, but until you test it, you don't know for sure....

edit: I should also mention that this is my normal driving style (pin it), which usually yields 55mpg (have never gotten worse on the 250). I have also posted 79mpg driving like a grandma, so in theory, the bike could go much further on one tank.

And BWF, you phrased that a bit odd... I meant carry an extra 1 gal on the back (I'd be happy to carry it for you), for when you run out of gas, you can get back to a gas station... I'm sure that's what you meant, just clarifying.

JohnEffinK
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Strap the fuel tank to your back. Look all terrorist like!

John

Sarge
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
This is the same argument I make to my wife all the time; If you need gas, then get gas. What's the point in stretching it if you're just going to get more gas anyway? And do you ever go fill uP and NOT fill up all the way? Are you nOt expecting to get gas again sometime in the future?

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The thing is, it's all kinda moot, since how far you can get on 'E' is dependent upon all the things that affect your MPG in general, so running it out of gas in a "controlled" situation down here won't give you the same result that running down I-70 at 80mph would...my MPG can vary significantly based on where and how I was riding.

Ultimately, when the light's on, get gas. You can push it if you're between exits or out in BFE and have to, and then you may really see how far you can go, but otherwise, why try it?

Very good point if your running down I-70 at 80mph and it goes dry you better be quick on that clutch cause things can get ugly fast.

Bueller
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I usually just carry a small fuel bottle and run it around town where there are gas stations reasonably close, when the light comes on I have a trip odo that starts automatically that tells me how far I have gone with the light on. when it runs out of gas I have my mileage I can go on the light and I dump the fuel in and go to a gas station. Knowing how far your "reserve" will get you can be very valuable and comforting.
If your light comes on, common sense would tell you not to do 80mph down I-70 until you have sufficient fuel to waste.

Bueller
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Very good point if your running down I-70 at 80mph and it goes dry you better be quick on that clutch cause things can get ugly fast.

When you run out of gas the rear wheel does not lock up.

Sean
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
When you run out of gas the rear wheel does not lock up.My KLR would lock up the rear when it ran out of gas. Haven't tried the KTM yet.

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM
When you run out of gas the rear wheel does not lock up.

as sean said on his but my ninja will lock up if the engine dies trust me i found out the hard way.

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
If your light comes on, common sense would tell you not to do 80mph down I-70 until you have sufficient fuel to waste.

"If common sense were so common everyone would have it"

Reyven
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
And BWF, you phrased that a bit odd... I meant carry an extra 1 gal on the back (I'd be happy to carry it for you), for when you run out of gas, you can get back to a gas station... I'm sure that's what you meant, just clarifying.

Had to go ruin the mental image of you trudging along behind with a gas can in hand. Thanks a lot.

Bueller
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Highway speed in top gear the engine will continue to spin for quite a while. If you continue to have the transmission engaged or downshift then yea at some point the rear will not spin but to say you have to immediately pull in the clutch or you could loose control is not true.

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Highway speed in top gear the engine will continue to spin for quite a while. If you continue to have the transmission engaged or downshift then yea at some point the rear will not spin but to say you have to immediately pull in the clutch or you could loose control is not true.

i was in lower gear when my engine crapped out and i was doing about 30 and it locked up cant say ive ever done it in high speed top gear so i was making the assumption..thanks for verifying now i can say ive learned something which is more than ive done all damn day!

Sean
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I was commuting into Boulder at 6:30 am on 36 doing 75 mph. It may have coasted a little, but no more than 10-15 seconds before the rear locked up and started sliding. The Ford F150 started coming up to me real fast and I bailed to the left (I was in the left lane) by holing in the clutch. maybe it's just the awesomeness of the KLR?

Bueller
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
but no more than 10-15 seconds before the rear locked up and started sliding. ........... maybe it's just the awesomeness of the KLR?

Haha yea I think you should probably pull the clutch in within the first 5-8 seconds of the engine dying, and the sooner you pull it in the farther you will coast and the less you will be pushing :lol: Oh and don't downshift, coast to a stop in high gear.
As far as the KLR, I am suprised you noticed it ran out of gas. :)

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Haha yea I think you should probably pull the clutch in within the first 5-8 seconds of the engine dying, and the sooner you pull it in the farther you will coast and the less you will be pushing :lol: :)

that would be my first instinct. the question now is who here in this forum is a nice enough person to bring someone gas if they ran out??

Ghost
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Nah, take it as a challenge! See how fast you can go to *really* push it, teach that stupid light a lesson!

(j/k)

that would be my first instinct. the question now is who here in this forum is a nice enough person to bring someone gas if they ran out??

CSC response: "Is she hot?"

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Nah, take it as a challenge! See how fast you can go to *really* push it, teach that stupid light a lesson!

(j/k)

CSC response: "Is she hot?"

HAHAHA nice to both responses!

Sean
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
As far as the KLR, I am suprised you noticed it ran out of gas. :)It was hard to notice. The acceleration was the same, it just got a lot quieter... Which is why I sold the KLR. :lol:

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
for those of us that actually ride, it is nice to know how far you can actually go...there isn't always a gas station near...and knowing is better than pushing...

grim
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
for those of us that actually ride, it is nice to know how far you can actually go...there isn't always a gas station near...and knowing is better than pushing...

Who? What? people on here dont actually ride...Who? ill give em a fucking good kicking!!

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Who? What? people on here dont actually ride...Who? ill give em a fucking good kicking!!

It'd be quicker to kick the ones who do.
:lol:
'Sides... I hate getting kicked

Airreed
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I've ran out of gas three times on my RC51....I'm always thinking I can push it another 1-2 miles, well i get to truely push it......last time it was in August and around 100 degrees.

Spooph
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Had to go ruin the mental image of you trudging along behind with a gas can in hand. Thanks a lot.

I knew it, you're a sadist! :silly:

+1

Ghost
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And, I'm not picking, I just don't get it. This isn't a race where pitting puts you out of the championship and loses the race, this is just stopping to get gas when your light's on--a light that's designed to alert you that it is time to stop and get gas.

The "exact" mileage that you can go is inexact at best. Maybe it's 20miles, maybe it's 18, maybe it's 22. You don't know exactly when it's going to run out once you're "empty". A simple mistake of 1 mile can mean you're walking and pushing.

As happened to:

I've ran out of gas three times on my RC51....I'm always thinking I can push it another 1-2 miles, well i get to truely push it......last time it was in August and around 100 degrees.

And, it's happened to me. I'd run my tank down a number of times, and I "knew" I could go to 250. So, I was very surprised when I was on the side of the 470 with only 232 on the trip.

There isn't always a gas station near, so IF there is and the light comes on, get gas. Simple. Why keep pushing it just to see how far you can go or how accurate your guess is?

Let's say your light comes on and your next station is 5mi away and the one after it 18miles. "Knowing" you get 20mi on reserve you skip the 5mi one and head for the 18--only it's closed, the pump's broken, they're out of gas, the power's out, etc. etc.

Now you're stuck when you could have avoided it by getting gas when you first hit reserve (this is based upon a true story that ended with two guys on one bike riding out to get a jerry can, filling it, and riding back 2-up with the full can between them on the way back--I sat and watched the dead bike until they returned).

Knowing how far you can push it is moot after a while--either you have enough to get to the next stop, or you don't. You can guess at how far you can go, but until/unless you run out on *that particular* day, you don't know just how far you can actually go on what you've got left.

Establishing a "baseline" is great, to a point, you may know that you can go more than 5 miles, or more than 10miles, but you won't really know how much past that you can get on *that* day until you try, and by then, it might be too late...just like Airreed pointed out...

So, again, what's wrong with just getting gas when the light comes on? Why risk getting stranded and pushing?

Especially if it's a Group Ride--why hold everyone else up and ruin their day? Whenever there's a stop near gas, I fill up. It's my duty to the group to not dick around and run out because I thought I "knew" when it'd run out.

Ignoring the light makes it feel unloved, as it's only trying to do its job and see that you stop in time to fill up and get the bike back in the garage instead of sitting alone on the side of the mountain waiting to be eaten by elk.

Love the light, listen to the light, it loves you.

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
There isn't always a gas station near, so IF there is and the light comes on, get gas. Simple.

well that is kind of a given...

but if you know you can go 250 miles, and you pass a sign that says the next town is 75 miles away and you are sitting at 200, then you know that you should probably get gas now...because you will be pushing it to the next town. Towns in the mountains are generally a little farther than 18 miles apart ;) I don't pay attention the the gauge or the light...they mean nothing to me...I always go by the trip meter.

I also always keep tabs on fuel mileage, not because I am anal and keep a spreadsheet of everything bike related, but it can be a useful gauge for how the bike is running, or which stations carry shit gas, etc.

Ghost
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM
well that is kind of a given...

but if you know you can go 250 miles, and you pass a sign that says the next town is 75 miles away and you are sitting at 200, then you know that you should probably get gas now...

I guess I thought the OP's (BWF) idea was to see how far you can get after the light comes on--and that just seems problematic to me. Especially if you start relying on that "extra" as part of your range.

Because if you do rely on it and then it runs out, it can be way too late (esp in the mountains) to get help.

It's not the same as knowing at around what point it (usually) comes on--which everyone should "know" so that they can get gas before they need it--as in your example.

brennahm
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
It's a good idea to know how far you can go because there's no EASY way to know how your manufacturer measures things.

Been on a ride on with two fuel injected bikes. Through experience, one could only make it 15-20 miles after the light came on. The other was good for 40-50. That order of magnitude I think shows the need to have a guess as to how far you can go.

If you know you're 50 miles from the light (which you should have a good guess) then knowing whether you have to stop at the station 40 miles away or can go to the one 70 miles away makes a difference on long trips.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Well, here's what I'd do: Find out how much your tank holds, from the manual (usually a little conservative), zero both trip counters then run it (speed, accel, etc.) as you'd usually run it on a trip and run it until your light comes on. Get gas immediately and use a calculator to calculate mileage from the trip meter. If the light comes on at 1 gallon as is usual, then you can go however long you went until the light came on, plus your MPG MAX. And, I'd honestly only do 1/2 that to be safe. I have a really good idea of what I can get on a tank (about 170miles until the light) and the mileage I get (I usually calculate it each tank on the road to be safe), but on a long trip I'll usually only go 150 miles on a tank to be safe because I'm usually alone in the middle of nowhere AZ or UT. The price for running out, especially riding alone as I usually do on long trips way out there, is so much higher I'm not even going to chance it, and I wouldn't if I were you either.

Also, realize this, today's FI uses the fuel to cool and lubricate the pump, so while it may not fail instantly if you run out of gas, it's not good for the pump, and the pressurized FI rails have to refil all while you keep running the starter motor. In addition, as Sir Bacon Lube found out, you can also suck all the sludge in the bottom of your tank into your FI system. If he'd been on a long ride solo like I did, and had the problem he had when I went over and helped get it running again, he'd have been completely fucked. It took a couple hours to get it running again, and that's with a running car and jumper cables to keep cranking the engine to clear the FI rails and injectors of all the crud.

Bottom line: your results may vary, but me, I'd avoid running out like the plague.

Vellos
Wed Jun 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
What Frank said, surprised nobody said it sooner.

Fill up and reset your meters, then go ride around until light comes on, get gas and calculate based on the miles you went and the amount of gas you just put in what your MPG is. Then when the light comes you know about how far that one gallon takes you.

brennahm
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 07:33 AM
The problem is that once the light comes on you don't know how much is left in the tank. The OEM's numbers aren't alway perfect - hard to believe I know.

I agree it's not GOOD to run the pump dry, but once you should be ok. Also, most tanks hold a bit of gas below the intake to the pump so most of the "sludge" is unlikely to find its way into the system.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
The problem is that once the light comes on you don't know how much is left in the tank. The OEM's numbers aren't alway perfect - hard to believe I know.

I agree it's not GOOD to run the pump dry, but once you should be ok. Also, most tanks hold a bit of gas below the intake to the pump so most of the "sludge" is unlikely to find its way into the system.
Tell that to sir Bacon Lube. He hadn't even run completely out, and we spent hours trying to get it running. Water is also a problem, as it's heavier than gas, sits on the bottom, and will not burn. ;)

I also seem to remember the early FI cars had a real problem repressurizing the fuel rails after running out, although I know they've fixed this since then. And remember, bike's FI systems are considerably backwards compared to cars, they have yet to catch up. So, some bikes might also have difficulty (or be unable to) pressurizing the rails.

As I said, I'd avoid it like the plague. I mean, what's the point in even going there? Plan your trip around fuel stops. It's not rocket science. The method I mentioned works more than accurate enough to get a good handle on your range with a safe margin.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
What Frank said, surprised nobody said it sooner.

Fill up and reset your meters, then go ride around until light comes on, get gas and calculate based on the miles you went and the amount of gas you just put in what your MPG is. Then when the light comes you know about how far that one gallon takes you.
Actually, 60PAN did mention the cooling and lubricating of the pump by the fuel, I just neglected to mention that initially. My bad.

FZRguy
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
What's this strange light you all speak of? :lol: I once went 283 mi on my FZR, was getting nervous by the time I got to Estes Park. Good to know I can go that far, but rather not test the limit.

bornwildnfree
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
The reason I want to know is the light keeps coming on at different times and different milage. I'm not sureif that's cause it's new or what. Last time it came on at 154 miles and I put 3.9 gal into the tank. The time before thy was about the same. Before that 136 mi and 3.6 and qr and 2.8. I realize it's how you ride but since break in, my riding is pretty consistent. Fill up with gas, slab to work, go to canyons after work, slab home light comes on in mid boulder. The SV, the light came on with one gal left.

Ghost
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Some bikes vary more than others and/or are more sensitive to riding conditions. If you're bike gets 54mpg then 1/3 of a gallon would be 18miles, which is the difference between 154/136.

And--no offense--but are you sure you noticed the exact moment the light came on?

I know I've ridden a few times and been surprised mine was on since my head was out on the road not in the gauges.

Either way, the inconsistency is fairly normal with some bikes, and it's why I was trying to say that "knowing" *exactly* when your bike will run out isn't possible. I've had customers tell me that their light came on on their 600RR w/ 1.2 in the tank (supposed to come on around .9). It all depends on what may seem like minor differences in how you rode that same piece of canyon, or the various other elements that all affect MPG...

Ricky
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
My fuel gauge starts flashing with just under a gallon left. At that point, I know I can safely go another 30 miles (@40mpg) if I baby it. But I've never gone that far.

The only damage you can do by running out of gas on an FI bike is if you do it over and over and over again, and once it's done, you continue to allow the fuel pump to run without any fuel. Liquid pumps without liquid tend to burn out.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
If it's that variable, I'd suggest always using the least MPG in your range calcs. Besides, isn't about 150miles at a shot a good stopping point anyways?

dm_gsxr
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM

Crivens!!!

Aaron
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Probably already been answered, but anyways:

It is bad for your fuel pump, but that's it. And it won't kill your fuel pump unless this is a semi-common occurrence (Like, more than 5-10 times). If that is the case, see instructions below:

1) Ride up Pike's Peak.
2) Push bike off of Pike's Peak.
3) Run after bike to catch it.