PDA

View Full Version : Some venting with a question

zPurpleRoom
Thu Jun 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
So I have been self employed for about two years now but looking for a decent job while I wait to get back into grad school. Employers have been super stingy with hiring quality people...while incompetent asshats clock in day-in and day-out; all the while bitching.

As a consultant, my rate is 75/hr but jobs aren't very steady. I finally got a great interview where the boss wants me to essentially "create my own position" within his parameters of about working on several different projects he wants completed. I know that I could be a great asset to the company. According to said boss, "corporate" is dragging their feet on approving a job description. He said he can hire a general labor worker without any approval. After a 30 day "trial" period, we could revisit the exempt position. The general labor position is 150 miles round trip from my house. The pay is roughly 20% of what my salary history has been. I am also generally concerned that this exempt position will just be a pipe dream.

Questions:
Do I suck up the "internship" and take the job for 30 days?
Is it worth the drive....an additional 3 hours after putting in a 11-12 hour day?
Am I better off just looking for something else? Because with this job, it'll be just work, dinner, sleep, repeat.

I've never been so confused with a job offer......errrrrrrrrr :confused:

Hopefully no one from CSC works for this company....that would be embarrassing. :oops:

Vellos
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Your life. Do what you got to do or don't do what you don't want to do.

Squisha
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 06:37 AM
My spider senses would be tingling, were I in your position. It would be easy enough for him to string you along with "another 30 days", and rob you blind while you do the things you should be paid alot more money for--and he's getting his projects done on the cheap!! Once you're hooked, it's tough to leave it behind. I would want something more concrete. Don't forget you have skills with which to negotiate. I'd say, if you want to pay general labor wages, I'll do general labor work.

Get something concrete, or move on, is what I'd be thinking. The long commute only makes that all much worse, because I consider a long commute a good way to suck the life out of you.

Graphite675
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I would be very leary of any kind of "trial" period offers without having something in writing (which I am sure they will not do).

I work for a large corporation and have seen them do this before. The guy hiring may (or may not) have good intensions but they have rules, HR departments etc. to deal with. Often the people making these promises usually don't have the pull to make the promotion happen once your in the door.

I've seen it many times. "We don't have a position open for your level but if you come in at this lower opening we'll bump you up soon" ...It never happens or takes years to happen. Once they get you in the door, they got ya.

So my gut feel would be to say thank you but I need something more solid.

Good luck.

Devaclis
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Most of the time, the salary you start at is what you are stuck with until your yearly raise/review. You need to START with the highest possible pay/position you can because getting raises/promotions from a lower level to the level you want to be at could take forever, if it even happens at all.

The people hiring you and interviewing you do not have your best interest in mind. They need to fill a position. Do not ever count on anyone to get you where you want to be in a company.

Make the good decisions. The tough decisions. Don't rely on a hiring manager to do it for you. They don't give a shit about you.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have been in this situation before and can tell you that my frustration for the position (pay cut, long days) was magnified by the commute.

I figured that I should "try" the company and position thinking I would regret turning it down but with my family I could not do the work, dinner, sleep, repeat. After 6 months of being miserable (terribly) I had to move on...

Good luck looking and deciding, I know the frustration you are going through man.

Ghost
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I learned the hard way that unless shit's in writing it'll never happen (and even then...well, that's another story)...you need to get the Highest Salary you can from Day 1, since you may be stuck there for a LONG time if raises are few, far between, and relatively low...

I think that since you're already having concerns about it, then you should listen to that instinct. Why go through the "trial" period and be miserable just to be proven right in the end--that it's too far, too little money, etc. etc.

Am I better off just looking for something else?

Yes.

Trust me, I know how hard it is to find a job, and to freelance to cover expenses, but taking a bad job just to have a job isn't worth it, you'll just get tied up in all of its BS and then when you do quit later you'll have wasted all that time, money, effort, gas and whatever else just to be back where you were...

my 2c YMMV

Sleev
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
no, don't do it

stitch
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Normally I would agree with everything you see above. However, I turned down a job last year for low pay and regretted it every days since. I was offered a job with a salary that was about 1/2 what it should be. I was insulted they came in way below what I said was my minimum. I stomped off in disgust. The only person I hurt was myself. Lesson learned was take the job, have some income, and keep looking for what I really want.

Nothing requires you to stay at the job. It will be "some" income while you look for another job.

A few years ago I took a job that the owner made all sorts of promises. Promised me a contract that kept having to be rewritten. My mistake was to keep at it. I was fooling myself that he was every going to actually ratify a contract. So I was angry when he finally didn't. Had I just used the job for income while looked for another I would have come out ahead. But I passed up a bunch of good opportunities waiting on the contract.

I suggest you do the same. Go ahead and take the job but keep looking. If during the time you're there they come through you're in good shape. If not you haven't really lost anything. You can leave anytime you want. But take it for the steady income.

zPurpleRoom
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you to all who responded to my post. I decided to heed everyone's advice and took the job. :lol:

However, I put a very clear stipulation (in a diplomatic way) that the "internship" would last for no longer than 45 days. After that, they should have the exempt position open for me to slide into with a wage +/- 10% of my previous salary history. I will report directly to the head boss not the general supervisor. The boss also said that he would be willing to modify my schedule and work with me about my concerns regarding the lengthy drive. In addition, they offered me a hotel room during this introductory period.

I'm still weary of this position. As Squisha said, my spider senses are still tingling....just at a different frequency. Now I just need to be strong in my convictions of upholding the 45 day limit. We will see how it goes. 8) Thanks again everyone.

Squisha
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Stick to your guns man!! That's all I can say. I think we can all agree that in most cases it's better to draw a paycheck even if it's not what you're worth, than to have nothing at all to staunch the bleeding.

I'm rooting for you for things to work out!

Racz
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
When i was 18 i ventured into an internship. I did learn a lot but the promises that made were never what my boss said they would be. I wouldn't say that it was a waste because of how much i learned, but i would be weary about unwritten promises.

zPurpleRoom
Fri Aug 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
60 Day Update:

After many more promises were made (none of them coming to fruition) including a signed offer letter with a salary increase, my paycheck never reflected the salary bump. When I went to inquire about it (2 emails and a phone call), my boss never got back in touch with me. Therefore, I sent in my resignation letter effective immediately. The boss responded with an email that stated "Good luck in this economy." :gay:

After I had my lawyer call and inquire about a breach of contract....they quickly paid out all that was owed to me. This company, more accurately this division, is totally irresponsible. Glad I tried. Glad to be done. Glad that I stuck to my guns. Glad to be back to being unemployed/self-employed. :lol:

Ghost
Fri Aug 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry man/Welcome Back to the land of the unemployed/self-employed!

sprtbkbabe
Fri Aug 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
That SUX Zane!