PDA

View Full Version : Racing a Ninja 250?

Matrix
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I bought my wife a Ninja 250 a couple of months back for her to learn on. Secretly, I also had plans to track the bike as well. I had never really ridden a 250 before and I was surprised at how upright the seating position is compared to a traditional sportbike. It feels more like a VFR then a 600RR.
For those of you who are racing these little bikes are you doing any mods to give it more of an aggressive stance? If not, is there some trick to getting into a good race position on the bike? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Bueller
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I am running stock rearsets, but I broke down and bought the Woodcraft clipons, (make sure you get the ones with the risers if you don't want to cut the bodywork.
Otherwise you just lay down on the tank as far as possible, and having a gut doesn't help much.

Matrix
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I am running stock rearsets, but I broke down and bought the Woodcraft clipons, (make sure you get the ones with the risers if you don't want to cut the bodywork.
Otherwise you just lay down on the tank as far as possible, and having a gut doesn't help much.

Is that legal by MRA rules? Not that I plan on racing it per se but you never know.

Sully
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Is that legal by MRA rules? Not that I plan on racing it per se but you never know.

I don't think having a gut is illegal in the MRA, if so, a lot of people would get kicked out! lol :D

Bueller
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I don't think having a gut is illegal in the MRA, if so, a lot of people would get kicked out! lol :D

:lol: :spit:

Yes you can change your controls, you have to retain stock throttle and front and rear master cyl. but you may change brake lines.

Matrix
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
haha that applies to me as well!

Thanks for the feedback Bueller. Seems odd to be in such an upright position and I can see where changing the clipons would help. Looking at pictures of these bikes on the track I am assuming this is a common mod because nobody looks as upright as I feel on it.
Thanks again.

Joe

Sean
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joe,
You know I don't race them (and don't know shit about most things), but according to the mra rules here (link) (http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11683) you can replace the handlebars with clip-ons. That could probably give you a more aggressive feel. :dunno: Maybe this posting is out of date too?

Matrix
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joe,
You know I don't race them (and don't know shit about most things), but according to the mra rules here (link) (http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11683) you can replace the handlebars with clip-ons. That could probably give you a more aggressive feel. :dunno: Maybe this posting is out of date too?

I will try it out at IMI without changing the clipon's to see how it feels. If I had to guess though, I bet it would be better with a more aggressive position.

I also scored some motard tires for the pitbike so its game on either way. :rock:

dragos13
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Drop the clip-ons below the triples and cut bodywork for clearance. This will get you a lot lower then the stock setup.

Bueller
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
There is a lot of things that can be done to these that are relatively cheap to make them go better and handle better, first thing to do is put some decent tires on it, second to that and something that becomes eminent is dealing with the kickstand clearence when you start getting some lean on.

If you want to have a look at one lmk I will also be at Chicane with it.

Repsol a095
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joe,

I will be more than happy to mount tires for you anytime you need them.