PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating wheels

3 TEN
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know a good place to powder coat a wheel? Like good job for cheap, and would I have to go about taking everything apart or can they do it? And how much does this usually cost?

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know a good place to powder coat a wheel? Like good job for cheap, and would I have to go about taking everything apart or can they do it? And how much does this usually cost?

number of places that can powder coat wheels but you'll need to bring the wheels to them off the bike with tires, rotors and bearings removed.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM
LOLZ

Good job, cheap, and oh by the way, they should do all the work.....

3 TEN
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I googled around, found a few places, just like you said seems I have to take it all apart. I have never done this, hard to do? Thanks

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.fruitfulista.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/good-cheap-fast-services.jpg

Easy to do. Hardest part will be getting the tire dismounted from the wheel.

The rotor bolts are probably locktite'd and will need heat to remove

3 TEN
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Didn't know how much it was gonna cost, asked around n fairly cheap. Now I just want to find someone that will do it all, 400 my limit. After that I might as well buy new wheel from dealers.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Didn't know how much it was gonna cost, asked around n fairly cheap. Now I just want to find someone that will do it all, 400 my limit. After that I might as well buy new wheel from dealers.

you buy new wheels from the dealers its going to cost you more than that plus it will be a bare wheel and you'll have to press the bearings in and mount the rotors and tires which will cost more.
Do you not have a front and rear stand for you bike so that you can remove the wheels?

crypto0793
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I work with a guy who does powder coating he does wheels for about $75 a wheel

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I work with a guy who does powder coating he does wheels for about $75 a wheel

thats what i've paid in the past but what is he going to charge if he rolls the bike in with the wheels on? :)

3 TEN
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I was willing to cough up the money with the dealer that way I could ride while I wait. But thought about it and going to hold off until winter that way it wouldn't matter anyways. The more I think about it, spending a grand for cosmetic bs is starting to sound pretty stupid. Hopefully by then ill know how to take all that stuff apart an put it back together.

crypto0793
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
thats what i've paid in the past but what is he going to charge if he rolls the bike in with the wheels on? :)

I dont know ill ask him tonight

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
number of places that can powder coat wheels but you'll need to bring the wheels to them off the bike with tires, rotors and bearings removed.
I'll add to this that make SURE than the coater knows explicitly that ALL threads, flat surfaces for rotor mounting, and bearing seats etc. NEED to be masked off prior to coating. If not, you're fucked.

Kevin
Sat Jun 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I went to Mile High Powder Coating for my frame/subframe/swingarm. They did good work and at a great price:

http://www.milehighpowdercoating.com/

Ted
Sat Jun 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'll add to this that make SURE than the coater knows explicitly that ALL threads, flat surfaces for rotor mounting, and brearing seats etc. NEED to be masked off prior to coating. If not, you're fucked.
+1

I am currently preparing my spare rear wheel for powdercoating. Took out bearings today, and going to block off bearing surfaces, and threads.Getting the coating off after the fact will be a bitch. PowderCoating Specialties in Golden is where i will get mine done.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I went to Mile High Powder Coating for my frame/subframe/swingarm. They did good work and at a great price:

http://www.milehighpowdercoating.com/
Thanks for the link, I might be having the wheels on my RAV4 redone in black as I scratched one up.