PDA

View Full Version : Rollins Pass

arcatacat
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Anyone ridden Rollins Pass over to Winter Park?

I'm looking at Drew Hill rd up to 119 (dirt/pavement mix), then Tolland road up and over Rollins Pass. Could be fun. Could be boring. Either way it's a ride.

dirkterrell
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM
The tunnel at the top is closed off due to structural issues, so you can't (legally) go all the way over.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Was up there yesterday an there is still way too much snow

asp_125
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
There is some single track near Yankee Doodle Lake that links up with the west side IIRC.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
What Dirk said

more reading here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660765&highlight=rollins+pass

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
There is some single track near Yankee Doodle Lake that links up with the west side IIRC.

Yeah, just don't get caught on it. My understanding is that those trails are verboten. I'd love to find out tt wasn't correct.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Was up there yesterday an there is still way too much snow

Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Unless they clear it the road may still be closed off in August. There is a LOT of snow up by the lake and man it takes forever to melt.

arcatacat
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM
What Dirk said

more reading here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660765&highlight=rollins+pass

Fascinating. I was just looking at the Colorado Gazzetteer and google maps. They both show a road that goes over the saddle. Had I never asked, I'd have just rode over thinking it was fine to do so.

:roll:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
was at the top of kingston peak yesterday, rode up from the Alice side...it's clear up till the parking lot, don't think it's accessible from the Apex/Rollinsville side yet...probably another week or so.

as a side note...the fishing at Fall River Res was magical.

modette99
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Fascinating. I was just looking at the Colorado Gazzetteer and google maps. They both show a road that goes over the saddle. Had I never asked, I'd have just rode over thinking it was fine to do so.

:roll:

Well its a hot topic as you probably saw from that link. Legally they are suppose to have one of two routes open on condition of the wilderness area, but Boulder fails at this. A 20+ year battle, that has gotten nowhere with nice talk. Been talked about getting a large group together and just doing it.

Either fix the tunnel or open up the other route, which I understand is a lot rougher...but by LAW they are to have one of these open to vehicles to get across. Chances are being that it has been 20 years...some Boulderite hiking would call on you although you be perfectly in your legal right. I don't think anyone has challenged this...and my .02 cents it will ever get settled if someone does...if I had millions to fight a legal battle I be up to the task (not being a local for that area, and not having millions means I'm not risking it unless there is a large group to protest it then I would).

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
if a guy had a nice light 250, wouldn't it be nice to roll it up the hill and park on top? What the hell would they do then? It's a motorized vehicle but you pushed it no different than a guy with a mountain bike.....

modette99
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM
if a guy had a nice light 250, wouldn't it be nice to roll it up the hill and park on top? What the hell would they do then? It's a motorized vehicle but you pushed it no different than a guy with a mountain bike.....

I would just ride it...I mean the tunnel was found to be safe from what I read, but NO this is an easy convenience for Boulder to say its not safe and it should be closed...well then under the Federal Law fix the road. Which it states if they need help they just need to request the funding...LOL I really wonder what they would do if 30 Dual Sports just up and rode across. Its probably what should have been done the first 6 months it did not re-open.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
my position on that was clear in the ADV thread. But in the absence of 30 dual sports, could you imagine the look on ranger ricks face when you pushed your DS right past him and the closed road sign?

modette99
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM
my position on that was clear in the ADV thread. But in the absence of 30 dual sports, could you imagine the look on ranger ricks face when you pushed your DS right past him and the closed road sign?

To do it right you would have to advertise it as a RIDE, let boulder know...let them have police out there or rangers. Then to their surprise push your motorcycle across...now that would be funny.

Just to otherwise show up and push in hopes of a ranger being there be tiring for no reason and no look on anyone's face. I have not seen one ranger this year, do they even exist!!! Likelihood of seeing a ranger is very low.

kawasakirob
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I've been hitting it alot lately. The snow has melted, and the trails are laid nicley. There are two routes, both not very hard going from WP towards Rollinsville. But going from Rollinsville to WP, it would be an extreme challenge for Dual Sports (GS, KLR, Vstrom, Adventures etc) But....I think certain people would be able to do it with some effort. Going over from the WP side there are also no signs,except on route 2 Only problems are the pinch point through route 1, with a mediocre hillclimb, then route two-getting around a gate then having a rough, loose hill climb on the way out. The third route, is a beautiful beautiful trail...and maybe I"ll see you up there. I'm on a white YZ250. Will be up there tomorrow. PM if anyone wants to meet sometime.

dirkterrell
Sat Sep 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.

I rode up there yesterday on the east side and then hiked up to the tunnel and around to the west side for a mile or so. I would have hiked farther but Sidi Crossfires, while great dirt boots, are not the best for hiking.

The end of the road:
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0423b.jpg

Jenny Lake from the trail up to the Needle's Eye Tunnel:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0426b.jpg

The approach to the tunnel:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0427b.jpg

Looking into the tunnel from the east side:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0429b.jpg

After scrambling over rocks to the right of the tunnel, a view of Yankee Doodle Lake (note the tailings pile extending into the lake):

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0430b.jpg

The tunnel from the west side:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0432b.jpg

Survey marker near the end of the east side of the trail

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0436b.jpg

The view from where the road is blocked off on the east side. The Needle's Eye Tunnel is the black patch on the far away mountain side. It gives you an idea of the hike from the end of the road to the tunnel.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0439b.jpg

The tailings pile in Yankee Doodle Lake comes from this abandoned attempt to create a tunnel:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2011sep02_rollins_pass/100_0440b.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Sep 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
awesome pics dirk - thanks for sharing

asp_125
Sat Sep 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Awesome pics, I'm gonna have to go up Rollins at least once this season before it snows.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Sep 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
would like to join ya if we can work schedules out.

Sean
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM
My 950 would ride right through that. I need to get up there.

Dirk, when are we going to go riding again? :wait:

dirkterrell
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:40 AM
My 950 would ride right through that. I need to get up there.

Dirk, when are we going to go riding again? :wait:

When you promise to call me a dumbass, instead of saying Ok!, when I suggest that we go up things like Pennsylvania Gulch. :) And yes, your 950 would be right at home on the Rollins Pass road. I'll let you know the next time I can get out.

Sean
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
When you promise to call me a dumbass, instead of saying Ok!, when I suggest that we go up things like Pennsylvania Gulch. :) And yes, your 950 would be right at home on the Rollins Pass road. I'll let you know the next time I can get out.:lol:

Let me know, I'd like to hit up a trail with you at least once this year. Fall colors are coming too. :hump: I'll even let you pick the trail(s).

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Snowed last night up high. Not much. Will be making a run to the stage stop for lunch on Tuesday If anyone is interested

sfarson
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Dirk... A great photo story of what the situation is at Rollins Pass. Best I've come across.

dirkterrell
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Dirk... A great photo story of what the situation is at Rollins Pass. Best I've come across.

You just reminded me to order your book. Done. Can't wait to see it.

kawasakirob
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah nice book!

Ricky
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Wow, I just learned quite a bit. I even sent an email to Boulder county commissioners. Not that it will do ANY good at all, since pretty much every elected official in this country is completely worthless.

arcatacat
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Snowed last night up high. Not much. Will be making a run to the stage stop for lunch on Tuesday If anyone is interested

So you're saying you ride over the pass on a regular basis? Where? Are you just poaching it, or what?

kawasakirob
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
YEs I ride up and over on a regular basis. I'll leave WP, eat at the Stage Stop in Rollinsville, then head back over on a YZ250. I have to bring an extra Gallon and a half but no biggie. I will be posting up some photos of that area and some area trail(s) once I get back in CO. The routes are steep and loose from Rollinsville to WP, but easier from WP on over to Rollinsville. It would take a Seriously good rider to chase a person down when crossing over one side to the other. Some routes are more...roll of the dice than others. Like the singletrack to Eldora which I'm sure some people know about which is up there. Good, techy in spots single track. Its short. But you do have to Poach that if you want to cruise down Eldora Ski Area and make a loop out of it lol. You can go from WP, over to Eldora, Stop at Rollinsville, Then up and over all using a different route(s) than the one you came in on. None of it passes through Wilderness. ADV bikes would not make it. Need a dirtbike.

modette99
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
YEs I ride up and over on a regular basis. I'll leave WP, eat at the Stage Stop in Rollinsville, then head back over on a YZ250. I have to bring an extra Gallon and a half but no biggie. I will be posting up some photos of that area and some area trail(s) once I get back in CO. The routes are steep and loose from Rollinsville to WP, but easier from WP on over to Rollinsville. It would take a Seriously good rider to chase a person down when crossing over one side to the other. Some routes are more...roll of the dice than others. Like the singletrack to Eldora which I'm sure some people know about which is up there. Good, techy in spots single track. Its short. But you do have to Poach that if you want to cruise down Eldora Ski Area and make a loop out of it lol. You can go from WP, over to Eldora, Stop at Rollinsville, Then up and over all using a different route(s) than the one you came in on. None of it passes through Wilderness. ADV bikes would not make it. Need a dirtbike.

Some of us ADV people are pretty good. Then again I ride a plated XR650R so that's more dirt then say a XC800, or a GS650 and what have you.

kawasakirob
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Seriously, people think they can ride their KLR's and Gs's and the KTM ADV's up there but prob not. Atleast going from East to West. Their are pinch point(s) either way you go, and the climbs would be the killer. IT would take a serious effort/skill from the rider to make those elephants climb the loose rocky crap without stalling or digging a rut a foot deep. I recommend trying the climbs twice, and then turning around if the person is not succeeding. The climbs are fun, but loose....just like some women I once knew:loop: Maybe it was my small penis? I dont know? But....going from West to East, the bigger bikes have a better shot with only the pinch point(s) to deal with. Be posting some photos soon.

kawasakirob
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Some of us ADV people are pretty good. Then again I ride a plated XR650R so that's more dirt then say a XC800, or a GS650 and what have you.

I believe your good, but I dont see how an ADV bike would make it up there without quite a bit of effort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not see an ADV bike making it up and over, East to West, very easily.

modette99
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Not sure if you want to share GPS tracks if you got them but I be interested, if you rather PM me them that is cool.

modette99
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I believe your good, but I dont see how an ADV bike would make it up there without quite a bit of effort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not see an ADV bike making it up and over, East to West, very easily.

I would hardly call my bike an Adventure...although it is a Pig...280lbs-300lbs...

kawasakirob
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I would hardly call my bike an Adventure...although it is a Pig...280lbs-300lbs...
PM sent

Bashed
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I guess my question is, can you not find any other area's that you can ride in legaly? Why here, where you know it's wrong to be there?

I'm not sure I would feel right knowing I was riding in a closed area. Perhaps if I unknowingly got into somewhere through a back way not signed, but to ride in intentionally just isn't right. Don't get me wrong, I have done plenty wrong in my time, and am certainly no saint, but I think I have matured enough to know right from wrong, and now you are sharing information so that others can do the same, not cool.

No ego here, move along, nothing to see....

Seriously, people think they can ride their KLR's and Gs's and the KTM ADV's up there but prob not. Atleast going from East to West. Their are pinch point(s) either way you go, and the climbs would be the killer. IT would take a serious effort/skill from the rider to make those elephants climb the loose rocky crap without stalling or digging a rut a foot deep. I recommend trying the climbs twice, and then turning around if the person is not succeeding. The climbs are fun, but loose....just like some women I once knew:loop: Maybe it was my small penis? I dont know? But....going from West to East, the bigger bikes have a better shot with only the pinch point(s) to deal with. Be posting some photos soon.

This is why people get hurt and lost, and us other taxpayers bail them out of thier pickle, there ambition outweighs thier talent.

I believe your good,

Trust me ,he ain't that good. Average at best.

Not sure if you want to share GPS tracks if you got them but I be interested, if you rather PM me them that is cool.

Shame on you. It is not cool! How would you like somebody riding through your backyard everyday? It is not right and it is a closed area.
Appearently your desires are more important than what is right.

PM sent

Not cool, not even a little.

This right here, is why more and more areas get closed to motorized use every year. People do and go wherever the hell they want, and then wonder and bitch when it gets closed, along with other roads like these. This is also why enviromental groups have leverage, they see people riding in closed areas, document it, and use it to keep them closed. You never know who sees you poaching, taking pictures.
Thanks for scewing it up for the rest of us.

modette99
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Rollins Pass is suppose to be open, legally or the other route as stated by LAW. Boulder is the one doing illegal things and not following the laws the feds set out. I'm amazed people even follow the signs as they are not legal at all.

Your point of things getting closed, well they can close it all but that would not stop people. It is and always will be pointless for the government to close various trails down. In the end it does nothing. They will never have the man power to monitor land use.

Back yards...hmmm unless you own the National Forest it belongs to us all. Its not YOUR backyard, its all of ours. I did not see him state to ride private land, or land that is posted to keep out, or trails signed otherwise.

Plus I would like to add, you assuming me asking for GPS tracks mean I will ride it. Asking for tracks does not mean I'll do anything other then look at it on a map and see where this trail goes.

Bashed
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Rollins Pass is suppose to be open, legally or the other route as stated by LAW. Boulder is the one doing illegal things and not following the laws the feds set out. I'm amazed people even follow the signs as they are not legal at all.

Your point of things getting closed, well they can close it all but that would not stop people. It is and always will be pointless for the government to close various trails down. In the end it does nothing. They will never have the man power to monitor land use.

Back yards...hmmm unless you own the National Forest it belongs to us all. Its not YOUR backyard, its all of ours. I did not see him state to ride private land, or land that is posted to keep out, or trails signed otherwise.

Plus I would like to add, you assuming me asking for GPS tracks mean I will ride it. Asking for tracks does not mean I'll do anything other then look at it on a map and see where this trail goes.

Apparently you live in some sort of La La Land, cuz it sure is't reality.
The people managing the land in question have signed it closed.
That is the reality of it. You are in violation if you ride it.
If you ride it, or any other closed area knowingly, you are not a good representative of the motorcycling community.
End of story.

sfarson
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mike... Well observed. +1

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
we have talked about this in various places. The "play by the(their) rules" crowd has failed to get Boulder to observe the law for over 20yrs?

Bashed
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, I understand the situation up there.
I also understand why people would go ahead and ride the roads.
They feel they are getting a shitty deal, and I actually agree with that.
But riding the area is not the solution to getting it opened up.
There are other ways to achieve the desired results without damaging a otherwise delicate situation.
Perhaps if people are so enamered with the way it is, they could stage a protest and invite the media. Afterall, as some have put it, it all of our land, so get all of the people on your side. Call out the people responsible and perswade the public that they are the bad guys.
Make people responsible for thier actions.
This is easier said than done, from my experiance most would rather chance getting caught and deal with a slap on the wrist, than put up a fight for what they feel wronged them. This is what this country has become, and shame on all of us. Rant off.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
agreed. an organized protest would be far more effective than just being a random thug.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM
This is how you can help for a measly $25 per year. They are fighting the good fight...for us!

How can I help keep my trails open? Simple, COHVCO needs Members, Volunteers and Donations to support our legal efforts to protect YOUR TRAILS. Help out today - Click this link (https://cohvco.org/members/user/create.php) and JOIN COHVCO! (https://cohvco.org/members/user/create.php) Please consider making an additional one-time or automatic recurring donation (https://cohvco.org/members/user/donate.php) to the coalition's Legal Defense Fund by visiting our donations (https://cohvco.org/members/user/donate.php) page.

http://cohvco.org/

Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition

modette99
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
COHVCO = Have not done much of anything either.

I agree with a protest, I even said so on ADVRider, show up to Rollins in a large group, let Boulder know in advance, let media know. And ride around any barrier. They are not going to do much to 100 or so people. It might get it out there, look here is the law, one two routes is suppose to be open upon the agreement with the Feds. Seeing as neither are...the agreement is null in void.

Groups have offered to PAY for the repairs to the tunnel, Boulder can ask for the Feds for money as stated under the LAW to get one of the two routes open. Boulder has no interest, they HATE motorcycles, they hate off road users except if you HIKE.

Thing is 20 years have passed. Anyone new to the area would think it is SUPPOSE to be closed, they no no better. They moved here from CA and tend to be anti everything anyways....so they are happy not knowing the truth.

It be like Mt Herman closing for good, I would ride around any gate, I would hook a chain up and tear the gate out. Sad part is, a lot of people would because it is SO popular plus the area I live. In Boulder I guess you don't have people that stand up.

Yup, I live in LALA land because I obey the law most of the time. Law says it or the other route is to be open end of story. So in reality no charge could stick if you ride the OTHER route, Tunnel was closed, thus making the other route the feds said HAD to be open de facto the route for now.

kawasakirob
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I guess my question is, can you not find any other area's that you can ride in legaly? Why here, where you know it's wrong to be there?

I'm not sure I would feel right knowing I was riding in a closed area. Perhaps if I unknowingly got into somewhere through a back way not signed, but to ride in intentionally just isn't right. Don't get me wrong, I have done plenty wrong in my time, and am certainly no saint, but I think I have matured enough to know right from wrong, and now you are sharing information so that others can do the same, not cool.

No ego here, move along, nothing to see....

This is why people get hurt and lost, and us other taxpayers bail them out of thier pickle, there ambition outweighs thier talent.

Trust me ,he ain't that good. Average at best.

Shame on you. It is not cool! How would you like somebody riding through your backyard everyday? It is not right and it is a closed area.
Appearently your desires are more important than what is right.

Not cool, not even a little.

This right here, is why more and more areas get closed to motorized use every year. People do and go wherever the hell they want, and then wonder and bitch when it gets closed, along with other roads like these. This is also why enviromental groups have leverage, they see people riding in closed areas, document it, and use it to keep them closed. You never know who sees you poaching, taking pictures.
Thanks for scewing it up for the rest of us.

I am not screwing it up for the rest of..."you" There are so many angles you could take up with this argument its not even funny. The funny thing is, that route is under discussion and has been approved to be re-open. Neither county(s) on the other hand wants to fund the effort though, and joint funding is at a standstill. So it remains closed. YEs bash you may "wander" in an area accidentily, and that is my story since there are no closure signs going from West to East. As far as fighting Non-Motorized companies, there are major companies who fight for non motorized use, such as REI and Cliff BAR. Funding is put aside strictly for land conservation. With CohVco, I've worked with them personally over the years and agree they do a very nice job fighting for out rights and helping out etc etc. Nothing bad to say about them. Also, I do not have a GPS to give my coordinates to Moddette. But if he wants to go for a ride, i"ll take him. Truth is the only way to get trails built and re-opened is to have someone who is pro motorized in the system. Which there are not to many in the federal services. BLM, FS, blah blah blah. We are going through the same crap with the closures of trails near Tabernash. Illegal trails, all GPSed, all layed out nicley. Funny thing is, they were put in by dirtbikes, and now dirtbikes are getting the cold shoulder from bicyclers, hikers...etc. Its dumb and the trails are now closed. Some reasons
1. New Land owners not likeing trails going through private property.. even 1/10 mi on the furthest corner. Legal Re-routes are a bitch to deal with
2. Hunters,
3. Bicycles, there shit doesnt stink
3. Noise (which will always be an issue)
Anyway enjoy the photos

kawasakirob
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Well damn I cant figure out how to get my photos from the CD on here. Hopefully soon. Any help?

FZRguy
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
On the contrary, modette....from the COHVCO web site. Yes, it's dated but perhaps you will contact Mr. Ryther to see where this is at. Or maybe no one showed up at the meeting to rep motorcyclists? You can bet the anit-access forces showed up. If they have 100 and we have 3, I don't have to tell you the outcome.

To interested parties,

I am a Gilpin County resident and am contacting you to propose an idea some of us have been working on to help the reopening of Rollins Pass Road. In my conversations with the various entities involved, the consensus seems to be there is a need to consolidate the various interests. I have had conversations with my county officials and USFS about this and they have expressed a serious interest. Also, I have
communicated wit three off-road clubs, COHVCO, Colorado state Parks Grant Program, Colorado Railroad Museum, and the Nederland Area Historical Society. All of whom are strongly motivated to help.

Here is the basic idea. There are many groups with interest in the opening of this road, but the reality for USFS and county funding today is that there is little money available for a project of this scope. We propose the formation of a Management Committee representing these groups to work with USFS officials to open, preserve and maintain the road. Under the terms of a cost share agreement, this body could seek and secure grants, government funding and other resources, identify and plan routine maintenance and repair work with USFS and help with signage and education for the traveling or recreating public.

I believe the key to the realization of this project is a coordinated effort to concentrate the railroad, OHV and other interests and develop a plan to mitigate the concerns of Boulder County and others who are questioning who will take stewardship of this special place when the barriers are finally dispatched.

We are largely a group of local enthusiasts who are willing to be available and give of our time and talents, which range from structural engineering to transportation maintenance to excavation contractors, to fulfill the dream of reopening the Hill Route.

There will be a meeting of the Rollinsville Area Historical Society on 15 April at 2:00 PM at the Stage Stop in Rollinsville. Part of our discussion will include this proposal and I invite you to attend. There will be a meeting of the OHV committee on 19 April 2007 at 5:00 PM at the Boulder USFS Office to discuss the status of the reopening project.

I encourage you to come and speak on behalf of your interests. I have a good list of contacts and invite you to contact me for information or to discuss ideas. I want to bring this proposal formally before the USFS and the commissioners of the counties and hope you will consider getting involved. Thank You.

John W. Ryther
16410 Hwy.119
Golden,Co. 80403
(303)642-0662
*rytherj@hotmail.com (*rytherj@hotmail.com)*

FZRguy
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
And krob, I don't agree with you that all mountain bikers are against motorized trail use. You know the enviros would be happy to see every inch of BLM and FS land designated Wilderness. Well, that shuts out MTB too. In many cases, IMBA is with us.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I think there's a youtube video of that meeting. Or part of it anyway.

modette99
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I think your right...

Still very old from 2007. The playing NICE game just does not always work.

kawasakirob
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
And krob, I don't agree with you that all mountain bikers are against motorized trail use. You know the enviros would be happy to see every inch of BLM and FS land designated Wilderness. Well, that shuts out MTB too. In many cases, IMBA is with us.
I agree, ALL mountain bikers was not to smart of a statement. Well, there is about 6" of snow up there now so the riding up and over rollins is at a standstill.

kawasakirob
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Riding over Twin Bridges on West Side
http://tinypic.com/r/e0l7pj/7
Steve riding over one of the bridges. Its crazy because of the drops on either side. Definetely gets your gut tightened up
http://tinypic.com/r/2mdnuw3/7
Warm up hut built by some hard ripping locals for winter snowboarding. Extra Curricular activities usually involving combustibles takes place as well. So dont be alarmed.
http://tinypic.com/r/b62hhz/7

kawasakirob
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/b62hhz/7

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/e0l7pj.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2mdnuw3.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/b62hhz.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
pics not so tiny

use the IMG code next time

kawasakirob
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Heading up to the pass on a nice day. Overlooking the town of WP
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GWUJULWnpIU/T0_v5ECBYyI/AAAAAAAAAEY/RT_NBhlWMBk/s643/89320013.JPG
Almost to the trestle, this is the first Awesome overlook you can catch
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h8VODnawaWk/T0_wgmICGZI/AAAAAAAAAFk/RmhyEWyKFXM/s642/89320002.JPG
A hut built by some hardcore oldschool snowboarders that are three times my age...(roughly) a good spot to rest and eat and if need be, spend the night. Wood stove and untensils included.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vmOIaWI9M3U/T0_v014_KuI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/fSEuO4q9FH8/s642/89320014.JPG

kawasakirob
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
On top of the mountain right above the tunnel. You can see where the road is blocked off. Up here, there are no signs that say motorized use is prohibited. Check out the buildings made out of rock. There is some cool stuff around.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FjN0Z16xB4M/T0_vjazRUvI/AAAAAAAAADw/FXZF3uMaMvk/s642/89320019.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sei4O_4u-MU/T0_vn7DL_zI/AAAAAAAAAD4/qn6NNI-2EgQ/s642/89320018.JPG
The singletrack leading down. There is a little bit of section where the trails do not intersect. So if you ride up this, it will take a few moments to find the other trail
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7fu9TXsGCBc/T0_ves_MjJI/AAAAAAAAADs/myzARJIL2Pg/s449/89320020.JPG
Heres a photo of twin bridges, that is basically on the other side of needles eye aways on the grand county side
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sttXgxnpFso/T0_vr2ERFVI/AAAAAAAAAEA/KdEYJ_YUQxg/s643/89320017.JPG
Riding over those two bridges is a little hairy. There is also a pinch point on the east side of the 2nd bridge. not a place to wiggle off.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PrxeiFCgSNQ/T0_wdkTq3QI/AAAAAAAAAFc/yrWuPS8u9Yw/s642/89320005.JPG

kawasakirob
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Over on the east side. That cave is pretty cool next to yankee doodle. bring a flashlight. The tunnel is not very longhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_VCh6qyT2ZA/T0_wa2nvp6I/AAAAAAAAAFU/Gwgl6-o65IQ/s642/89320006.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4noE4nwRHBg/T0_wXXtPWfI/AAAAAAAAAFM/Xqbz9ycGC9Q/s642/89320007.JPG
Once your done playing around, time to head up. It is a very loose semi steep hill climb. You gotta take it pinned. On the YZ, I took it in 2nd...and when my good Harley buddy could not ride his up after...I took the thumper in 3rd. Its a ride!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0q4i53V6030/T0_vYogGGvI/AAAAAAAAADg/D8uCokT7tQM/s449/89320021.JPG

kawasakirob
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM
There are 3 routes that i know of to get up and over corona. On one of them, you can even get to Eldora...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f57pKwS68TI/T0_5o_ySDoI/AAAAAAAAAGk/Zd6mMDEzqnU/s642/89320022.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZPbqrdW2zYw/T0_5hx6OeqI/AAAAAAAAAGc/jQPQzHsCJ8U/s642/89320023.JPG
Some tight single stuff
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1l48v3qPc70/T0_usjMOzqI/AAAAAAAAACk/aP4znwRneUg/s642/89320024.JPG
Slight techy climb
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RWNEMw0BaJE/T0_ukI0QiWI/AAAAAAAAACg/sG96_-tjtFM/s449/89320025.JPG
View after the climb
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JEyGHQwSaGM/T0_ugwWXuJI/AAAAAAAAACQ/HYoPiTKPfrY/s642/89320026.JPG
My favorite pic.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uBjMqoxzPi8/T0_ucTxineI/AAAAAAAAACI/9OHtg-jwi2w/s642/89320027.JPG

kawasakirob
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Fuel....Full tank in the YZ as well as carrying 2 gallons extra was enough to get from WP over to Nederland, and back with no worrying on how heavy to pin the throttle, plus exploration miles in designated areas. Stage Stop +1 for food and service

Lomax
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
I wish they would finally open it back up.

I have fond memories of driving the old green Buick station wagon over it, Bridges, tunnels and all. :headbang:

My Grand Father was even one of those that actually built the pass for the trains.

Marc

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
I drove a '70 VW bug over it in '74. And a '74 FJ-40 in '77. Good times. :up: Haven't ridden two wheels over it (yet) :twisted:

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

asp_125
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
I would love to try it from the Winter Park side sometime.

FZRguy
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM
What's the approx mileage from WP to Rollinsville?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM
What's the approx mileage from WP to Rollinsville?

14 miles

kawasakirob
Sat Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
I would love to try it from the Winter Park side sometime.

Thats the way to do it. If you do, let me know and I'll meet up with you somewhere on the route. Or maybe in town before you head up and over. There"s trails all over the place on both sides. Interestingly, There are no signs saying motorized trail prohibited on the WP side. There are in other areas, but not the main trail. Its weird

kawasakirob
Sat Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
And...Grand county is all for the route to be re-opened, even though part of the route borders Wilderness area. **on a seperate note**Some big name companies (who are in the backrow, out of the limelight) who help fight and are big players in muddying the water against such openings? Clif Bar, Smartwool, REI. These are just a few big name companies who fight against motorized use, regardless of vehicle type, when wilderness and protected areas are involved.

modette99
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Yep...looks like fun to me...