PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Crash-6/9/11 Deckers

konaman
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Here are the pics of chris' bike after he low sided it on the way to Deckers. Thankfully he was ok, now his bike was another story.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM

konaman
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
hahah My bad my comp messed up, I just put the real pictures up hahah

konaman
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Chris, did the GoPro record this?

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Chris, did the GoPro record this?

eff no :( was my first time using it and I had it "stopped" when I thought it was running .. total bummer, I wanted to see it myself too.. *cry*

konaman
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I would have loved to see that from another angle. I saw most of it go down but an on the bike view would have been awesome. LOL don't mean that in a bad way Chris.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
oh no.. I don't take it that way at all.. from my glimpses as I was rolling.. it woulda been slightly epic.. espeiclaly the piroette the bike did before landing on it's top.. LOL

Cap'n Crunch
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ouch... that's going to be one heck of a track bike for someone.

kat.luvs.sportbikes
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
OMG! Chris, I'm sorry... Man, I hope you're ok and idk what to say.
Stay safe everyone!

BlueRanger
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hey, who was it who took pictures of my bike on scene? Was you Konaman or DBX?

madvlad
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Man that blows dude...

konaman
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Blue Ranger, I have some pics of your bike at the scene I just didn't want to post them without your permission or anything like that.

BlueRanger
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 10:17 PM
You can post em anywhere you want for all I care lol jk. Na, just pm em to me if you don't mind please. Make sure I'm not running around naked yelling I'm on fire in any of em.

Actually I guess you could post it here, I just didn't want to thread jack. But I guess it wouldn't be cause of the title. Thanks man.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Jun 11th, 2011, 11:40 PM
well.. you're part of this too Blueranger :( I wasn't the only one, just didn't want to drag you into it.

BlueRanger
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, but I thought the tread was just pictures of your bike. But the title just says Pics of Crash.. which is why it technically wouldn't be thread jacking.

BlueRanger
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Here are pictures I took, obviously not on scene lol. I posted them on the ride thread earlier, but since there is an official picture thread I'll post em here too.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17893&stc=1&d=1307823699

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17894&stc=1&d=1307823713

fiveninerzero
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 12:33 AM
dang. there seems to be lots of wrecks that day

cptschlongenheimer
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM
:shocked:
You guys are supposed to get off the bikes before going dancing with each other...

Just sayin'
;)

Glad you guys are alright.

bornwildnfree
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Glad you're ok. Gaa be earful out there please.

cbrjohnny
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
was it the chip seal road surface that caused this deckers crash?

Zach929rr
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
That section doesn't really have much chip seal. The narly chip seal section is down towards Rainbow Falls. Those corners are just easy to overshoot AND easy to fixate in for some reason.

Sarge
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Kinda glad I missed this one...

Good luck with the insurance everyone. D_M, you need to hurry and get that sucker replaced so we can finally go riding together. :cussing:

thatmofo
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Dang Depths of Mind, we just were talking the other week about people wrecking. Glad to hear you are OK. Definitely not how I wanted to see your BMW when I logged on today.

Blue Ranger - Glad to hear you are OK also. I haven't seen you since the last Tejon Bike event. I thought I would see you again this year at the event.

BlueRanger
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'll take my bicycle :)

brennahm
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Awww...your BMW hat got ripped!

born2ride
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
So two people crashed in the same turn? With A clean road?

d3spair
Sun Jun 12th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Damn, been there done that wrecking sucks! Glad you guys are okay!!

sfarson
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM

It contributed, but that corner (near mile marker 92) claims at least 5-10 bikes a year as riders descend towards Deckers from Woodland Park. It's a decreasing radius lefthander, and it is gravelly on the edges thanks to last year's chip n seal by CDOT.

Oh btw, CDOT went the wrong direction from nearby West Creek with the chip n seal. They went NW towards Deckers for 3.5 miles, placing the crud on sweet pavement that was only four years (2006) old at the time. They were supposed to head east for 3.5 miles, towards and past the cemetery, covering a surface that had not seen improvements since a surface was placed following the 2002 Hayman Fire. How about that horrible tar snake patch job they have in place since CDOT went the wrong direction.

OUTLAWD
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
glad you gents are OK...but any idea what caused it?

chip seal has plenty of grip...it just doesn't feel the greatest, and there aren't really any surprises on that section IIRC

brennahm
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Is it really a question of what caused it? C'mon...

Bashed
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
It contributed, but that corner (near mile marker 92) claims at least 5-10 bikes a year as riders descend towards Deckers from Woodland Park. It's a decreasing radius lefthander, and it is gravelly on the edges thanks to last year's chip n seal by CDOT.

Oh btw, CDOT went the wrong direction from nearby West Creek with the chip n seal. They went NW towards Deckers for 3.5 miles, placing the crud on sweet pavement that was only four years (2006) old at the time. They were supposed to head east for 3.5 miles, towards and past the cemetery, covering a surface that had not seen improvements since a surface was placed following the 2002 Hayman Fire. How about that horrible tar snake patch job they have in place since CDOT went the wrong direction.

Here are the pics of chris' bike after he low sided it on the way to Deckers. Thankfully he was ok, now his bike was another story.

That section doesn't really have much chip seal. The narly chip seal section is down towards Rainbow Falls. Those corners are just easy to overshoot AND easy to fixate in for some reason.

As others have noted, expecially SFarson, that corner in paticular captures alot of bikes. When CDOT redid the road after the last major flooding and total redo, they, in my opinion, messed that turn up.

First, it is the first sharper corner coming into the narrows section.

Second, it starts off as a gradual left and then tightens up into a decreasing radius.

Third, right at the exit of the corner there is a huge culvert and depression on the wrecking line.

These three conditions exaggerate the potential for disaster. Before the total repave it was a smooth turn and not quite as sharp. In the last three years I have helped more than a dozen in that one corner, from sportbikes to harleys, due to wrecks. So please keep your wits about you and help keep the wrecking stats to a minimum. I glad you guys got away with minimal injuries.

Skyzor
Fri Jun 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Brutal wrecks. Glad you guys are ok tho.

VFR
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Dang Blue..Where did you go down?

BlueRanger
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Same turn as Chris. Better news, my bike is running! not ridable yet, but running! haha.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Sux guys, glad you're ok and the bikes aren't too bad.

Depths_of_Mind
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
heh.. decieving isn't it.. 13k(ish) in dammages to mine. Still up in the air on the total or not. Should know monday or Tuesday.. Hopefully. Blue, that's good to hear!

Sux guys, glad you're ok and the bikes aren't too bad.

Kevin
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 12:43 AM
May be a dumb question (I don't know all the routes around here that well yet) but can someone pin that turn on a google map and post it so I (and others) can see where it's at?

Oh yeah - glad you're all ok.

sfarson
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Here it is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=CO-67+N&geocode=FbaYVQIdCVG7-Q&hl=en&mra=mr&sll=39.165938,-105.164223&sspn=0.04798,0.102482&ie=UTF8&z=14

Going north at speed as the curve tightens, can lure a few to run wide. Doesn't help there is crud on the edges left over from last year's chip/seal. As bashed notes a culvert/drain is in the "I'm off the road" line.

Kevin
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Here it is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=CO-67+N&geocode=FbaYVQIdCVG7-Q&hl=en&mra=mr&sll=39.165938,-105.164223&sspn=0.04798,0.102482&ie=UTF8&z=14

Going north at speed as the curve tightens, can lure a few to run wide. Doesn't help there is crud on the edges left over from last year's chip/seal. As bashed notes a culvert/drain is in the "I'm off the road" line.

Thanks - appreciate that.

I had a thought. It hurt, but I had it anyway. At the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent!) It would be cool to see a thread on here, maybe a sticky, which maps some of the more common rides I hear people talk about. For example, I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.

GuitarX
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.

Hey Kevin, I filmed some of the Deckers ride and you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zon3j3hyyik

I'm guessing the turn in question is somewhere in the last 4 minutes of the video. The video shows footage from Pine towards Woodland Park so it's probably the opposite direction from that which the guys who crashed were going, and I stopped filming where the road straightens out before the tar strips start.

brennahm
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 06:46 AM
It's also not a good idea to post up the exact routes most commonly taken on a public forum. Overcautious? Perhaps. But I won't post them. Go on rides.

OUTLAWD
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks - appreciate that.

I had a thought. It hurt, but I had it anyway. At the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent!) It would be cool to see a thread on here, maybe a sticky, which maps some of the more common rides I hear people talk about. For example, I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.

umm...

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/rides.html

:dunno:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
umm...

Interesting, I didn't know we had this, thanks Dave!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
heh.. decieving isn't it.. 13k(ish) in dammages to mine. Still up in the air on the total or not. Should know monday or Tuesday.. Hopefully. Blue, that's good to hear!
No shit???? Wow, is the frame totalled? I'd say it's a total, almost the value of a new bike! It's TOTALLY decieving, it really doesn't look too bad. Best of luck with it!

gsxrscott
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
All the more reason I want a 250, to learn to ride better. Ive been riding for 36 years and know I can still get better. People give me alot of crap when I say my 750 is too much for me, but I dont care. I try to make sure my target fixation is on where I want to be ( a concience effort sometimes) and concentrate on my riding. I will probably never be able to ride to the ability of my Gixxer and I have to trust her to do what she is able to, even though I may doubt myself. Glad you guys are OK

Kevin
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM
umm...

Thanks! Very helpful!

Bueller
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM
All the more reason I want a 250, to learn to ride better. Ive been riding for 36 years and know I can still get better. People give me alot of crap when I say my 750 is too much for me, but I dont care.

Absolutely! You will love it, they are a great learning tool even for someone who has been riding since the dawn of time. I have more fun on mine than almost any of the other bikes I have owned. I don't even want a liter bike, they scare the crap out of me :yes:

99 zx6r
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
when is that event going down?

SaShWhO
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
makes my heart bleed to see that beem dream all banged up like that:(
glad you're ok tho

Bashed
Mon Jun 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM
It's also not a good idea to post up the exact routes most commonly taken on a public forum. Overcautious? Perhaps. But I won't post them. Go on rides.

Decker's is probably the most ridden route by sportbikers on the Front Range, certainly not any secret to johny law.

Overcautious, naw, parinoid sounds more appropriate.

GSXRJOHNNY
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 05:13 AM
My one and only speeding ticket on a motorcycle (in 44 years of riding) was on the Deckers route, 72mph in a 35 zone. But the kindly officer reduced it after discovering my age and seeing the amount of very slow moving traffic I was trying to escape from. I also want to add that this corner is a tricky one and as gsxrscott pointed out, you just have to trust the bike to do what it needs to do even when you don't think you yourself can do it. I always look where I need to go, target fixate on your line, the correct line will always get you through the corner unless your way too fast going in. My old GSXR1000 did things I didn't think was possible for me to do. The power never scared me, but demanded a lot of respect and knowledge of when and where to pull it trigger. It was a bike you could ride at 5-7k rpm and still keep up with everyone else was nearly redlining their bikes to oblivion. This made it a very relaxing bike to ride, and let me concentrate on staying on the road. Glad everybody is ok. Poor bikes,,,,sob!

mdub
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I remember when I first laid my 03 600rr on Hawthorne Rd. in Golden Gate. Downhill going too fast on a literally 15 mhp curve. Thank goodness no else was coming up the other direction. The bike and myself just went off the road about 15 feet. It took 3 of us to get it out. Road rash on right side on bike. I was ok , but definitely bummed....I wish I brought a camera that day.