PDA

View Full Version : SS racer, went down during practice?

Aston
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I feel a little embarrassed at having forgot his name.. Guy towing a 3 rail trailer behind a blue Jeep Wrangler who rode a late model, red Kawi ZX-6. He went down in practice at T4 and wasn't moving. The helicopter didn't show up, so I figure he's alright. I hope he's alright. But how alright is he? Does anyone know?

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I feel a little embarrassed at having forgot his name.. Guy towing a 3 rail trailer behind a blue Jeep Wrangler who rode a late model, red Kawi ZX-6. He went down in practice at T4 and wasn't moving. The helicopter didn't show up, so I figure he's alright. I hope he's alright. But how alright is he? Does anyone know?

he's alright

ripper750
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
His name is Matt. The worst part about the whole situation is that HE LEFT because of the weather and turned back around at Byers because the skies started to clear. Talk about irony!

I watched as he cooked it coming out of T6 during practice but he kept it up then. We were side-by-side during launch drills and as I got down to T6 on our second pass, I saw red flags and wondered, "What the...?" and "Who the...?" and "Not again!"

At least they didn't have to cut his leathers off of him. That's usually a good sign. I hope he's doing well, too. I think we have a pretty good crowd of SS guys and I'd hate to see any of us get hurt especially when nothing is really at stake.

ian22
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM
He's ok....he had a concussion and a black eye. He is selling his bike and gear.

dragos13
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
He's ok....he had a concussion and a black eye. He is selling his bike and gear.

That doesn't sound OK to me...

ian22
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Just re-aligning his priorities. As long as he's happy....

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Is this the same 2007 red ZX6 for sale in the for sale section?

Aston
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I went down once at IMI because I was frustrated with life at the time and got way too stupid way too fast. Brownie means what he says when he tells us to leave that home shit at home and concentrate on the task at hand. Learned that lesson.

Went down on the other side at PPIR and didn't finish the race. I don't know how I would have felt either time if I would have hurt myself. I like to think I'm psychotic enough to come back. I would have second thoughts if I had a family to take care of.

Matt is a good guy. We tried to tie his canopy to my truck, but the wind thwarted our efforts. I'm glad to hear he's in good nick.

Any chance his leathers are a size 42? :-)

spideyrdr
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I crashed for my first time ever right after finishing qualifying for my first 'real' race. My wife was there with my 3 month old daughter. I hobbled around on a sprained ankle and a sore ego for a couple of weeks, but got back on the horse. That's because I knew what I was getting into when I went into the Superstreet races in the first place.

Guys, don't come to the track if you are going to abandon riding if you lay it down, or even worse, get hurt, and aren't able to cope with it. The racing community embraces new riders, without a doubt. But you have to embrace the risks that it brings a bit, and if you sell off riding and / or being at the track because something goes wrong, then it's just not for you. PLEASE think about this before going to the track. Shit happens, riders go down sometimes.

btw, Aston, I was commenting to my wife about how I saw pics of you down at PPIR then on my way out of the pits this past weekend I saw you gearing up to ride for SS and later saw pics of you riding - I assume it was you anyway. Way to get back on the proverbial horse and recognize the next time out might be the best ride of your life.

TransNone13
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM
That's dissappointing to hear. But it is what it is. I think the only thing that reigns me in a little is the monetary damages if I crash. I've set aside money to keep that issue out of it this season. I don't have a family to worry about and I am just as likely if not more so to die riding to and from work. Being so close to edge and balancing all the aspects of the bike is why I love it. Most of what happens is directly correlated to my input. I'm excited to get out to HPR the 26th, I should be heading back the 21st (they keep bumping my flight right). Should be going to the PMP SS after that. Would like to link up with you Aston out there, I've been skulking around on here and I think we might get along well. Your signature quote leads me to believe you might be a LT :P. See you soon Jamie!

Davy4575
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I can attest to Jamies crash, Having watched him highside right in front of me. We did some feild engineering on his rear set (Read: hammer and concrete abutment) and he was up and racing a little bit later. My condolances on the crash and choosing to walk away from it at this point. Ive bailed on a race or two because I was not in physical shape or mental shape to run the race. I dont want to run the risk of putting my fellow racers in any more danger than they do by themselves. In spite of those times, I keep coming back for more.

Its still a much safer environment than the street, and you are less likely to have a catastrophic wreck at the track than you are on the street. I would highly encourage the superstreet riders to keep coming back and think about pursuing a race license and purchasing a cost effective racebike that you dont care so much about dropping. (oh yeah, Im thinking about selling my current race bike as Im looking at another one) Of course this post isnt motivated by that at all lol. Also, good gear is confidence inspriing and a life saver. Make sure you have a good CE approved spine protector, Good helmet and quality leathers with CE approved armor in them

Ok end of my shameless feeler about selling the bike and general public service announcement.

ian22
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Yes, its the same bike...I posted it before he crashed. Just trying to help someone out. He says he thinks there is around a thousand bucks worth of damage. He'll fix it and sell it.

Stank Juic3
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I was talking to that guy b4 our race. He said if he crashed his wife was going to make him sale the bike (lame). I'm going to be a SuperStreet whore even if I do crash. I placed 8th but I was awesome to give a zx10r a run on my lil orange 6 and the best competitive thing I have ever done. That 8th felt like first because I was pushing soooo hard to get around the guy. Racing got me sold I love it WAAAAAAAY more exciting than street riding. I think it's awesome how friendly people are at the track then when the race start you barley know the guys. Saving up for my race glass now hopefully by PMP I will have it. So I can keep my nice orange plastics purty.

EPIC, YA DIG?

Aston
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Should be going to the PMP SS after that. Would like to link up with you Aston out there, I've been skulking around on here and I think we might get along well. Your signature quote leads me to believe you might be a LT :P. See you soon Jamie!

If by "LT" you mean armed forces lieutenant, not at all. I am a salaried manager at a gargantuan, behemoth of a business though, which is a little like being a military officer in the responsibility it entails.

The quote is more philosophical than anything else, a pithy way of saying that what you see is more important than what you read or heard. Funny story about my father and I. When we turned off the highway headed for IMI, we got to the intersection where it goes from asphalt to dirt and he looks at his GPS and says "It's supposed to be right here. I don't know what to do." I told him to turn left and drive up the hill. I spotted the track from the top of the hill. I don't understand GPS's appeal when navigating paved roads!

Unless I can pull some strings at work, I probably won't make the PMP round. That sucks because it's the only CO track I haven't tried on a bike. There are 3 track days at HPR in July that I plan on showing up for.

Aston
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
That was me going down at PPIR, suiting up and then riding at HPR. I've obsessed about roadracing since I was a kid. Crashing isn't going to end that obsession anytime soon.

Thank you for the kind words. :-)

btw, Aston, I was commenting to my wife about how I saw pics of you down at PPIR then on my way out of the pits this past weekend I saw you gearing up to ride for SS and later saw pics of you riding - I assume it was you anyway. Way to get back on the proverbial horse and recognize the next time out might be the best ride of your life.

spideyrdr
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
This is off topic, but it seems like there are a few guys in the thread that are either riding Superstreet or interested in it. I started in Superstreet last year, my pit mate (Snowman on here) came through Superstreet. If you are ever at the track a Saturday, we're probably there. Feel free to stop by to chat about racing, if you need to borrow something, or whatever. I am usually just tinkering from about 11:00 until 2:00 anyway. The MRA is a really friendly organization but I know it may be intimidating to actually approach someone in their pits. I'm #880, he's #427, we usually pit with #522 and often #420 - we're a mötley crew but a friendly bunch!

Cheers,
Jamie

snowryderclark
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
That was a fun race. Thanks to everybody that made it possible, specifically the MRA guys. And glad to hear that the guy in turn 4 was ok. It's always a bit traumatizing riding past a rider laying motionless face down on the ground.... especially when it's the warm up lap before the start of our little race lol.

Good times, and good group of guys in the SS class.

cromer611
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Yes, its the same bike...I posted it before he crashed. Just trying to help someone out. He says he thinks there is around a thousand bucks worth of damage. He'll fix it and sell it.
tell him to wait. if the price is right ill buy it as is...

TransNone13
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
If by "LT" you mean armed forces lieutenant, not at all. I am a salaried manager at a gargantuan, behemoth of a business though, which is a little like being a military officer in the responsibility it entails.

The quote is more philosophical than anything else, a pithy way of saying that what you see is more important than what you read or heard. Funny story about my father and I. When we turned off the highway headed for IMI, we got to the intersection where it goes from asphalt to dirt and he looks at his GPS and says "It's supposed to be right here. I don't know what to do." I told him to turn left and drive up the hill. I spotted the track from the top of the hill. I don't understand GPS's appeal when navigating paved roads!

Unless I can pull some strings at work, I probably won't make the PMP round. That sucks because it's the only CO track I haven't tried on a bike. There are 3 track days at HPR in July that I plan on showing up for.

Fair enough, but PMP is a fun track. I've never relied solely on GPS, more to verify than to blindly rely on (to include TC-ing). It's gotten many people stranded and killed. See you at HPR at some point then.