PDA

View Full Version : How not to ride Manx Norton...

edj
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Courtesy of a friend on the gammalist and his soon-to-be £1500 damaged Manx Norton...

http://gallery.me.com/rg500delta#100386

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Oooohhhh that was painful to watch

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
bikes were built to be ridden...and can be rebuilt...

hopefully he's not too banged up and has some spares.

edj
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
not too banged up and already being rebuilt

madvlad
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Bummer dude but well at least he will be back at on the track. How fast was the highside?

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Any idea what caused it? The wheels are an inch or so off the ground in one pic...he hit a bump or something?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Ouch! I hate seeing that. Bummer....... :(

FZRguy
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Any idea what caused it? The wheels are an inch or so off the ground in one pic...he hit a bump or something?

Spin up the rear exiting a corner, it catches traction and pitches you off the high-side.

edj
Fri Jun 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
He says he was going about 50mph but managed to scrub off some speed (with his unusual gymnastics?) before hitting the ground.

edj
Sat Jun 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Any idea what caused it?

This is what he says...
Ah the dark forces of a highside. High or lowside happen very fast. Mine was caused by too great a lean angle and too much throttle.I was trying to catch the guy in second place who was on a much faster bike and was losing five bike lengths on him by the middle of the straight following the right left combo so decided to push harder ie open the throttle sooner to save some time. What I should have done at the same time was to change my angle of lean to compensate for more gas earlier and put the power through a larger contact patch. Instead I just rode onto the very edge of the tyre and it started to spin. The spinning meant it slid sideways and I reacted by closing the throttle which made the tyre grip again, if I had kept it open then it would have slid away and lowsided. When it gripped the bike then had huge twisting forces going through the frame
and it flicked back to being in a straight line hence the third pic. The rest of the sequence shows the forces Throwing me around until I can't hold on to it any longer. I have saved something similar before but it was on the rg and it has less inertia in the crank than the large single so just threw me up onto the tank.
We are limited to treaded Tyres and I was running an Avon tyre which has grooves near the edge so that is getting changed for a Dunlop with much more edge rubber so that should help too.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Blah blah blah......I fucked up by closing the throttle which made the tyre grip again and tossed my ass over the bars. Blah blah blah........
Fixored! :)

OUTLAWD
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Fixored! :)

:no:

TransNone13
Sun Jun 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
That's a good one!