PDA

View Full Version : New member...R1 problems

vegas
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hey all, I'm new to Denver moved up from Vegas :D

I've been riding an '02 CBRf4i and just bought an '07 R1.

The R1 is acting up on me and I need a recommendation for a good and trustworthy mechanic, or someone on the forums who might know the problem.

After about an hour ride on the I-25 when I got on the side streets it died as it started idling when I rolled up to a stop sign and I couldn't re-start it. There is a slight smell of burning rubber but the exhaust smells fine and the temperature of the bike never went over 190. After sitting for about 5 mins it finally started again and I was close to home so i parked it and haven't run it since.

It's a 2007 YZF-R1 with GYTR slip on exhuast and powercommander III USB. It probably needs re-mapped because the catalytic converter was removed recently but I'm not sure this is the problem. I don't believe I was running it too hard that trip - movin along but not red-lining it.

If anyone knows what could be wrong help would be awesome, otherwise looking for a highly recommended mechanic.

thanks!

Vellos
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Jim @ TFOG.

Foolds
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Tfog - Jim The owner is a Member here
16010 W 5th Ave # 10
Golden, CO 80401-5556
(303) 216-2400

Super Tune MotorSports
4420 Allison St # A
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
(303) 495-3290

MotoGarage http://www.moto-garage.com/ His Address is on his website.. Hes in Loveland

Those are the 3 Guys I would trust

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
Has the ECU been replaced? There was a recall on the '07 ECUs.

Zach929rr
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Ecu, stator, reg/rectifier

check volts at stator regulator and batt

brennahm
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
My 05 had problems kinda like that. Turned out the cables on the exhaust valve needed adjustment. Sounds like you have an aftermarket exhaust so this may or may not still be applicable.

First I would unplug the PC. Delete all extraneous items before diagnosing.

madvlad
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Has the ECU been replaced? There was a recall on the '07 ECUs.

This... I checked mine out at GPM yesterday after reading about it on the R1 forums and Yamaha had no recalls on my 07 R1 as well. I have noticed that it has somewhat of a rough start sometimes and getting off the line it has a hesitation and then it just takes off lol... It's weird, sometimes it does it and then it doesn't, I don't know if you're having this problem as well. Maybe have Jim re-map it to altitude? I dk if it makes such a difference like carb'd bikes coming from Vegas to this crazy altitude. Maybe new plugs? I've also heard of fuel pumps failing on these models but not sure if it applies to your case.

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
My 05 had problems kinda like that. Turned out the cables on the exhaust valve needed adjustment. Sounds like you have an aftermarket exhaust so this may or may not still be applicable.

First I would unplug the PC. Delete all extraneous items before diagnosing.

He didn't say headers, so I would assume he still had the ex-up valve. It could have been removed, but there's only one way to find out. :D