PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off Again

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I was laid off again. Regardless of the main client being here in CO, they decided to pull all recruiting efforts back to CA.

I don't want to recruit anymore. I'm tired, frazzeled, done!!

If any of you guys that know me, want help in any capacity, let me know.

madvlad
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Dang sorry to hear that Terri, hope you find something soon.

Drift
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry Terri...anybody would be privileged to have you as an employee...you will bounce back!

Ciao,
Drift

Ghost
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry, and as much as I hate to say it, welcome to the laid off club...seems more and more CSCers are in it every week..

Either way, Good Luck and keep your chin up!

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks sweetie,
I will. I just have to out-do myself somehow in a job market. I have been recruiting for 12 years now. It will be hard for me to get out of the box (so to speak)

I am one of those people who never sought out "doctor", "lawyer", etc.

But it's time now to live outside my brain and re-create what I can do.

I have many skills that I bring to the table. I just have to figure it out.

asp_125
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear, Terri. Join the "life of leisure riding club". I am a member too. :(

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
Oh really??!! Let's hang then Jeff. I miss you very much anyway, and have for a long time. It would be great to see you and have coffee and not pout. :-D

For every door that closes, another one opens up. But it's incumbant upon us to look for it. (something like that with better spelling maybe)

Ghost
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks sweetie,
I will. I just have to out-do myself somehow in a job market. I have been recruiting for 12 years now. It will be hard for me to get out of the box (so to speak)

I am one of those people who never sought out "doctor", "lawyer", etc.

But it's time now to live outside my brain and re-create what I can do.

I have many skills that I bring to the table. I just have to figure it out.

Yeah, it always seems that the box I'm in is still getting me interviews, but not an actual offer. Instead they always hire internally and/or close the position despite flying me out to interview and whatever else.

So, I've been doing a lot of re-evaluation of what I "should" be doing and what, potentially, I could be doing given what training I have or could get.

I'm not sure how good I'd be at any of them, nor if I could match my old salary, but...sometimes they're appealing just for being non-corporate.

I think you should look at this as an opportunity to grow, to learn and to figure out what you really want to do--you can still keep looking for what you did, but don't limit yourself to just that...life's short, etc., etc...

Sorry to hear, Terri. Join the "life of leisure riding club". I am a member too. :(

Only problem with the Club is paying the bills to ride...

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Go to the Village and OD on hashbrowns :D

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Are you ready for the Vet Tech gig now? I know you're good with animals.

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Go to the Village and OD on hashbrowns :D

Ya Think!!!! Get me a job in Boulder, where I'm the hashbrown taster. FTW. I would ROCK at that.

Ghost
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM

You know how depressing that job is, right?

My friend can tell nightmare stories from nearly every day she's at work...

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM

John bebe, ya never forget do ya? haha.
It's a dream, I have to save animals. But I have realized I need to be a millionaire in order to do so.

I'm used to $100k a year. How do I go to $28K a year? How?

And even more dynamic, how do I save people? How do I help people take care of themselves and their family. How can I do that?

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Medical field?

brennahm
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Apply to PA school. Assuming you have a Bachelors...

Good pay, great outlook, insane loan repayment options...

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Medical field?

Looking at it seriously at this point. I love you!!! Funny that you mention it at all. I'm not a rock star at testing, but I think I can learn and do it if I apply myself.

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Be great to have you around here: https://www.efirstbank.com/about-firstbank/career-opportunities/career-byposition.htm#Business-Continuity-Coordinator

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have a B.S. in Business Administration. I also have 11 years of negotiation.

Although I have been IT most of my life (can't fix my own computer, can only hire them to do so) I can also sell. I am a great people person professionally.

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Well, none of those jobs pay $100k, more like $50k. Sales if ya gotta have that kind of coin, unless you wanna go back to school.

rybo
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
So sorry to hear it Terri -

FWIW I was laid off for nearly 2 years. I too was used to about 80K a year. I make no where near that now :(

I'm sure you'll bounce back - it's what we do. In the meantime enjoy some 'free' time.

s

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Then I'll go to school!!! I don't want to, but I will. If that is what it takes to re-invent my brain, I'm not opposed to it! And I'll do it!!

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
11 AM class beats a 8 AM job in my book. :)

64BonnieLass
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
So sorry to hear it Terri -

FWIW I was laid off for nearly 2 years. I too was used to about 80K a year. I make no where near that now :(

I'm sure you'll bounce back - it's what we do. In the meantime enjoy some 'free' time.

s

Honey, I know you were, and it broke my heart that I could do nothing for you.

I've tried sooooo hard to help people in the CSC, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I wanna go be a ....................now!

Ghost
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM

s

I think $80k jobs are a dying breed, most being replaced by two $35k temp/term/part-time positions. At least, that's how things are going in the corporate and academic worlds I used to be in.

Job I lost paid nearly double the jobs I'm getting interviews for...but since they can get people with 15yrs experience who are also laid off and willing to work for the same as entry-level, then anyone mid-level is just screwed...

Then I'll go to school!!! I don't want to, but I will. If that is what it takes to re-invent my brain, I'm not opposed to it! And I'll do it!!

11 AM class beats a 8 AM job in my book. :)

yeah, I second that. School really isn't a bad place to spend a few years...and who knows, maybe things will improve by the time you're done--or, if not, you can still rack up the student loans and go for another degree

Hmm, maybe I need to return to academia as well...if I stay in school until I die I'll never need to work OR pay back my loans...and I'd be VERY qualified for nearly any job...and I'm sick of being "unemployed" or "laid off" when I could be a "Student"...

~Barn~
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
G'luck Terri. I'll see if I hear about anything opening up over here in my neck of the woods. Also try and find me on LinkedIn if you're so inclined. Write me up something 1 paragraph or so, and I'll post it up for my contacts to read and you never know...

gtn
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
Bummer. Like others have mentioned healthcare is growing. Hospitals and other medical companies need recruiters, and sales, pre-sales engineers, IT staff... you name it. Figure out what you would like to do in that field and I bet you can ensure employment until you retire.

FZRguy
Wed Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
Brand spankin' new Holy Tony's at 2nd & Union. They gotta be hiring.

64BonnieLass
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I'm thinking Oncology!!

Cat118!
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry terry, will keep eyes and ears open for ya

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:38 AM
I know it's hard to lose a job that was paying so well...actually, I don't really know that. Two months ago, I was making half that and three years ago, even less...being a single mom and raising 3 kids. It's all perspective, I guess.

Anyhoo, despite putting perspective on it, I think you are right taking a deeper look into the medical field. There's a whole slew of opportunity out there, too. And not just on the doing side (physician, nurse, radiology, etc.). There's also corporate type positions, as well as recruiting in that field. One of my former co-workers went to Kaiser as a manager of an IT team. So, there's also the whole idea of technology in the medical field, too.

Education in the medical field is also growing by leaps and bounds...but, that doesn't pay as well. And I'm talking about online education...instructional design, curriculum management, etc, not to mention the plethora of colleges, universities, institutes, career colleges and so on that have beefed up their medical education offerings.

So, don't fret...there are opportunities out there as long as you continue to go with the idea that a change in focus will help you get what you want.

Bueller
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Really sorry to hear this Terri :cry:

Join the "life of leisure riding club". I am a member too. :(

I am in, lets do something soon.;)

Sean
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:13 AM
:(

Ghost
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
With your background you could also look for government work, there were a number of HR related jobs open when I looked.

USAjobs.gov

Just don't charge Dues or none of us can make it...

Slo
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wow Terri, I'm hoping you bounce back even stronger than ever.... :(

TFOGGuys
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
...or you could just pitch the whole financial security thing out the window and get a job in the motorcycling industry. Insane hours, hard work, low pay, no benefits, no time to ride...yep, I got it all!

Hope you find something that feeds your soul as well as your bank account :)

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
IBM is hiring Project Managers like crazy and since you are already used to herding cats it should be a good fit?

Zach929rr
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
"Get Terri Laid-ON Campaign"

CaneZach
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry, Terri. If there's anything I can do, just let me know. You could always come riding with me now!

Foolds
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
IBM is hiring Project Managers like crazy and since you are already used to herding cats it should be a good fit?

Problem is at IBM you will be laid off again in 2 years =(

TFOGGuys
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
"Get Terri Laid-ON Campaign"

err...what?!

Had to read that again...

Zach929rr
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
err...what?!

Had to read that again...

Upon second review, that may have came a bit wrong.

Foolds
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Wait when did Terri Move to Boulder?

64BonnieLass
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
I've been North-ish for about a year. Love it. The views are amazing from this end of town.
Thank you everyone for the links and ideas.
Jim, foregoing $$ and actually doing something I want to wake up to each day would be a nice change of pace. :yes:

Snowman
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
This is all Raytheon got's at time time, sorry...

Sr. Human Resource Generalist (http://www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=103)

dm_gsxr
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Problem is at IBM you will be laid off again in 2 years =(

With 2 days warning =( =(

Sorry to hear about the job though. My stepdaughter went back to school for Nursing. It didn't seem to take all that long and she's working now.

Carl

Ghost
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
This is all Raytheon got's at time time, sorry...

Sr. Human Resource Generalist (http://www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=103)

At least it doesn't need a Clearance, every time I look for a job there the ones I might otherwise qualify for all seem to need it...

FZRguy
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Why can't you keep doing what you've been doing, just on your own? I used to share office space with a guy that did executive recruiting for the insurance industry, and he did very well. This was 15 years ago tho....could be a dry hole these days.

FZRguy
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Really sorry to hear this Terri :cry:

IMI Wed, July 6.

TheStig
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Terri, if you want I could talk to my sister about positions at her company. It would be HR though. And its south (teletech). My sister is an HR Director their.

Probably not what you are looking for but let me know.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Ahhhh shit Terri, just saw this. So sorry to hear that. :( wish I could help in some way, but I'm in the bread line too. I wish you the best though, I'm sure something will turn up for you!

OUTLAWD
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've been North-ish for about a year.

What!?

as far as school, I am as close to a professional student as it gets, and if you don't really want to go back to school, don't. You will find yourself doing something you don't want to do, and paying for it. I am lucky enough to get paid to go to school, if you consider living below the poverty line lucky.