PDA

View Full Version : dragging helmet!

bendavis
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hope it isnt a re-post, but this dude is a little nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=4Ov43cWkYIA

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
my question is WHY??? That helmet is useless now.

Ted
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hope it isnt a re-post, but this dude is a little nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=4Ov43cWkYIA

I saw this on another forum last night and couldn't believe it, but it looks like its real. Hopefully it was one of those heap ICON helmes .....

grim
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
why would you do that thats fucking wreck less idiocracy at its best!

Ted
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM

Maybe because he feels safer or comfortable doing it in a "controlled environment" ??? :dunno:

Ghost
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Somewhere there's a sniper wearing a 1pc leather romper suit...and not dragging his helmet on the track at ludicrous speeds...even if I could do that (and I can't) I'm not sure I'd want to...

grim
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Maybe because he feels safer or comfortable doing it in a "controlled environment" ??? :dunno:

Controlled or not thats just insane!! Thats gotta be some rush!!!

Bueller
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
my question is WHY??? That helmet is useless now.
The helmet is scratched, not necessarily ruined, since he can hear it scraping very well he knew when it touched and pulled up, likely less damage than a drop off of a bike seat.

Srsly? Oh and that would be reckless. Or perhaps you are right since he didn't wreck.

Somewhere there's a sniper wearing a 1pc leather romper suit...and not dragging his helmet on the track at ludicrous speeds...even if I could do that (and I can't) I'm not sure I'd want to...
To do it and have proof is priceless.

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
My helmet is waaaaayyyy to expensive to do that too. I wouldn't want to have to buy a new one just cause I wanted to see what would happen.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
That guy is supposedly a great racer too. IIRC, he held the CCS #1 plate. Everything I've seen and read about the guy indicates he's a great guy, but may be a little more nuts than people are used to lol.

Ghost
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
That guy is supposedly a great racer too. IIRC, he held the CCS #1 plate. Everything I've seen and read about the guy indicates he's a great guy, but may be a little more nuts than people are used to lol.

Clearly he's skilled to pull that off and ride like he did in the clip, as to being nuts, IF you're *that* skilled, then it's far less nuts and probably just fun.

If you're NOT skilled and you try it THEN you're certifiable (or just stupid).

Repsol a095
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have seen Rybo do the exact same thing on a supermoto! Crazy!

Vellos
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm more concerned with his suit. What the f--- is that all about?

Ghost
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm more concerned with his suit. What the f--- is that all about?

He's a sniper...or ninja...or sniper-ninja!

ThorsTwin
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Screw getting a new track suit. I'll just pull out some of my old ghillies and use them. I suppose if you crash in a ghillie, no one would see you.....

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM

Dustin Apgar. He was CCS Southwest #1 plate in '09. Dale Kieffer is doing the filming. He is an instrutor at the Yamaha Champion School at Miller.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/60993_1207687049352_1743975082_410507_1158276_n.jp g

rybo
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have seen Rybo do the exact same thing on a supermoto! Crazy!

Yeah, but mine was not nearly as graceful....

spideyrdr
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM

Ouch dude. Ouch!

Vellos
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:23 PM

http://intrawebnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/baby-laugh-horrified.gif

derekm
Thu Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Apgar started as an og stunter down in az....

Tylar
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM
http://intrawebnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/baby-laugh-horrified.gif

Hah!

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Right. I've watched the vid about 5 times so far. Makes me want to get a 600 and do track days and maybe more...

haywood jablome
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I think he did it just because! If he is that good and well known, im sure he has many helmets!!

Maybe it was a commercial for a tire company showing how well their tires "stick". Either way if you got it flaunt it!!

chad23
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I like it shows skill and a little crazy to think of it. I can see it now. " well shit I can drag my knee, my elbow. What else is there......... "

And Scott, I am sorry for laughing at that picture. I only laugh cause I know you were alright after

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I like it shows skill and a little crazy to think of it. I can see it now. " well shit I can drag my knee, my elbow. What else is there......... "

And Scott, I am sorry for laughing at that picture. I only laugh cause I know you were alright after

Don't be sorry Chad - I'm the one who put it up. That picture has a couple of great stories associated with it.

Story #1: I had lent my camera to a friend to take some pictures while I was out on the track. She took exactly ONE picture of me that day. This one.

Story #2: A week later I showed up at EPIC motorsports to get some parts for something. On their desktop was this picture and the guy behind the counter was telling the story about "Some Guy" at IMI who threw the bike down on the ground. I knew everyone that worked there pretty well at that point, so when I told them it was me....well there were some laughs.

Story #3: This REALLY fast guy once brought me a copy of this picture and asked ME for my autograph....

So much fun, so little time.

Go ahead, laugh, it was pretty funny.

Last story - I know it looks like I totally trashed the helmet about 1 millisecond after this photo - as it turns out the ONLY part of the helmet that touched the ground was the little button on the visor for holding tear off's in place.

S

Sean
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
And then that front tire lived on. Scott and Dave saved my ass by putting it on the front of my R6, at midnight, on a Sunday, after I had gotten a flat in Walden! After hearing the stories of that picture, I rode home VERY carefully! :lol:

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
And then that front tire lived on. Scott and Dave saved my ass by putting it on the front of my R6, at midnight, on a Sunday, after I had gotten a flat in Walden! After hearing the stories of that picture, I rode home VERY carefully! :lol:

I forgot that part of the story! Awesome.

d3spair
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wow sick video! Duke nukem voice "Balls of Steel"

grim
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
When you guys are on the track how fast are you going around those corners? iv never been to a race and dont plan on actually doing it. But needless to say i dont know a damn thing about bike racing and id like to know more!

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
When you guys are on the track how fast are you going around those corners? iv never been to a race and dont plan on actually doing it. But needless to say i dont know a damn thing about bike racing and id like to know more!

I'll let the current racers give you more details/specifics, but in general it all depends on the corner and the track, etc. At PMI you're much slower than somewhere like HPR, and at IMI you're really slow...

As to how fast/how slow, whenever I was on the track I had no Speedo, so I could tell you what gear I was in for which corner, but speed in MPH never mattered to me...

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Corner speeds at HPR range from about 30 MPH to over 100 MPH - there are a lot of variables to determine what speed for what corner.

If you want to make the trip this weekend come out to HPR and see the trackday in action! No charge for admission and a bunch of cool people to hang with.

s

Bueller
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM

As fast as you can and still maintain a contact patch ;)

+1 to Rybo's suggestion, and never say never, and never say you weren't warned. There is an addiction problem related to the track.

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM

+1 to Rybo's suggestion, and never say never, and never say you weren't warned. There is an addiction problem related to the track.

No there isn't - I can quit anytime.....:no:

grim
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM

i didnt mean it as i wont go to a track and watch. i Guess your right though i would go on a track i just cant ride like the pro's do.

Bueller
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
yea neither can I

grim
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Do they ever open up the track for people who want to see what they can do?

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Check this out:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37762

bornwildnfree
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Do they ever open up the track for people who want to see what they can do?
You can go to an open track day. Different tracks have different rules and schedules but check out HPRs web page. Lots of people do track days just to see what they can do.

grim
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 02:25 PM
You can go to an open track day. Different tracks have different rules and schedules but check out HPRs web page. Lots of people do track days just to see what they can do.

right on yea i dont want to get in anyones way or piss anyone off so itd be better to go on an open day when there arent a ton of people.

Bueller
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM
If you go spectate the MRA races they have parade laps @ lunch, 3 laps (controlled) for $5. The only gear required for a bike is a helmet and closed toe shoes. My wife and I went out the first weekend and she loved it, she got to experience the whole track which you can't do from the spectators areas.
The pace car was actually going faster than we were so it isn't a snails pace either.

cromer611
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Dustin Apgar. He was CCS Southwest #1 plate in '09. Dale Kieffer is doing the filming. He is an instrutor at the Yamaha Champion School at Miller.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/60993_1207687049352_1743975082_410507_1158276_n.jp g
wow dustin apgar is was a pretty big stunter in the mid 2000s. when i was in school in AZ he had a mobile wheelie machine that was pretty cool.

cromer611
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM

i have a couple of vids on my youtube channel if ya wanna check them out.
http://youtu.be/X7eWvDRNRgg

DeeStylez
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hopefully in the near future I will get the chance to get out to a track day for the first time. That trick or whatever you want to call it was insane....

Vellos
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
If you want to go to IMI Grim send me a PM. It's $35 and you need a bike & helmet, but more gear the better.

thatmofo
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM
That was sick

asp_125
Thu Dec 19th, 2013, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4VqBI2aM4

Another one. SICK!

Native
Thu Dec 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
what is that first guy wearin? camo tent?

asp_125
Thu Dec 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
what is that first guy wearin? camo tent?

Ghillie suit over leathers