PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot Race - starting pressures for HPR?

Tim K
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm on the slow end of intermediate, riding a '99 R1. Can someone give me a starting point for tire pressures with Pilot Race tires?

rybo
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Tim,

There's a bunch of different tires:

Power 1 Race?

Power Race?
if Power race which tire? They will be labeled on the sidewall - in an oval. Some examples

PR3
PR4
PR5
PRD
PRE

Front would likely be a PRC

Snowman
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.michelinpowerone.com/en/index.html

You can covert to PSI here...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/mastercnv.html

rforsythe
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Best bet - talk to Vanmar when you get to the track, since we'll have Michelin tire support on site.

Tim K
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Rear - S1920
Front - S1246A

Graphite675
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM
What is the name on the tire for starters? (There is no Pilot Race.)

Should be one of these ....

Power Race
Pilot Power
Power One

Tim K
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Just "Pilot". They're not DOT rated tires, they're race take-offs.

Graphite675
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Oh, Are they slicks?

Bueller
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Best bet - talk to Vanmar when you get to the track, since we'll have Michelin tire support on site.

+1

TransNone13
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Will Dunlop be there? Not my first choice, but they came with the bike. Need to know pressures for their slicks. Pretty sure they're Sol Performance...

jgixxer1
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm on the slow end of intermediate, riding a '99 R1. Can someone give me a starting point for tire pressures with Pilot Race tires?

30f 28r from everything I read. Sounds high but I have zero experience with slicks except for the ones that came on my bike. Its a supermoto so I will probably start lower.

jgixxer1
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Will Dunlop be there? Not my first choice, but they came with the bike. Need to know pressures for their slicks. Pretty sure they're Sol Performance...

http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/slicks/

Bueller
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Yes Sol Performance will be out there. Scer is a good guy, he might even make Dunlop your 1st choice, the service is top notch.

rybo
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM
To be clear, Oscar (sol performance) is coming to ride that day as he rarely gets a day off. I'm certain that if you ask he'll be happy to help you out.

Tim, Start -
F-30
R-28

Scott

TransNone13
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks all!

Tim K
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 08:28 AM
To be clear, Oscar (sol performance) is coming to ride that day as he rarely gets a day off. I'm certain that if you ask he'll be happy to help you out.

Tim, Start -
F-30
R-28

Scott

Thanks bro.

Scer
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry I did not see this thread till late yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed my day off at the track. I hope those pressures that Scott recommended worked for you. I am assuming that you were running the qualifier tires? I would have recommended a slightly higher pressure but hopefully you did just fine.

Please, if anyone has any questions about any dunlop tires feel free to either PM, write, call or text me at any of the avenues below. Hope you had a great day!

Ride on ridas

ian22
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have the pirelli diablo superbike pro "endurance" tires on my track bikes. I went with 30 in the front and 29 rear. The rears balled up quite a bit, but nothing on the fronts. I didn't experience any slipping or sliding at all...should I try anything different regarding pressures? I'm wondering if I should run more rear pressure with temps as high as they were?

Scer
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Were the balls (insert joke here) on the whole surface of the tire or just the edges?

Ball on ballas

ian22
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM
lol, all over the tire.

Scer
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 06:28 AM
That's actually not too bad. Put some more air in the rear. Try 2 more PSI next time when its that hot out and see what it looks like then.

What happens when its gets hot is the rubber will start balling up and almost melt in balls. If its too hot they will melt and actually get pushed to the edges of the tire because of centrifugal force. In your case they started balling up but not enough to separate from the whole surface of the tire. So yours wasn't bad. Ideally, you don't want any balling but HPR is such an abrasive track that its almost does it itself.

Remember more pressure cools the tire more and create longevity too.

Play on playas!