PDA

View Full Version : No-Start Issue (CBR600RR)

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Well, I went out to fire up my bike to ride it over to my friend's to prep it for the track Sunday, and...it's completely dead...no gauges, no FI priming, no lights, nothing...

I checked the main 30A fuse, all the fuses and relays in the fuse panel under the seat, they're all good.

I'm going to pull the battery and test it then put it on the quick charger, but what else am I missing that I could check?

madvlad
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It's definitely a battery issue... For how long has it been sitting?

Vellos
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM
If the fuel pump turns on then you can bump start it.

madvlad
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Well, I went out to fire up my bike to ride it over to my friend's to prep it for the track Sunday, and...it's completely dead...no gauges, no FI priming, no lights, nothing...

I checked the main 30A fuse, all the fuses and relays in the fuse panel under the seat, they're all good.

I'm going to pull the battery and test it then put it on the quick charger, but what else am I missing that I could check?

Apparently he doesn't get any power at all

Foolds
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Got a Volt Meter?

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM
It's definitely a battery issue... For how long has it been sitting?

I rode it just yesterday, no issues at all...

Yeah, no fuel pump, can't even bump it, can't get a prime...

I'm thinking it's the battery, can't imagine it went dead overnight but don't apparently it did...

madvlad
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Gotta check the stator/regulator as well besides the battery... any electrical aftermarket add ons that could be draining the battery?

Ghost
Got a Volt Meter?

No, I loaned it out and it's still there...suppose I could go get a cheap one at Walmart

Ghost
Gotta check the stator/regulator as well besides the battery... any electrical aftermarket add ons that could be draining the battery?

Nope, bone stock

Edit: and, apparently Walmart doesn't stock volt meters, just can order one online...

Actually, I can probably use my old charger to see in a crude way if it's dead or not, it should at least light up if it's not dead, if it's completely dead it will act like there's nothing attached and it won't light...

madvlad
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hmmm any problems before trying to start it today? How old is the battery?

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hmmm any problems before trying to start it today? How old is the battery?

Bike had issues dying at altitude shortly after I got it towards the end of last season, we couldn't find the issue so after a bunch of attempts to fix it Honda swapped the ECU.

Still, that was a running issue (like the baro pressure sensor wouldn't work or something)...

Bike's an 09 holdover, bought last season, the battery's original so it's probably 2yrs old or so at a guess...

madvlad
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I would start by changing the battery then if not move on to the regulator and the stator. Has the bike been dropped that you know of?

Vellos
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
You can jump start it with a car to test if it's the battery and not the regulator or a connection. Just don't have the car running when you do, but sometimes you have to to get enough juice.

Also my 08 had to get a new battery (covered under warranty though) because it'd been sitting around and died.

AOK303
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Did you check your ground...

Foolds
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Where in town are you? I have A couple of Meters I could loan one to you and get back from you at the track day

asp_125
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
If the battery has been completely discharged before, or it's an old one, it could be sulfated. I had a battery that was a wet cell die on me. I topped it off and charged it up, the bike started and ran one day, then the battery died again. Turned out the plates had sulfated over and I needed a new one.

brennahm
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM
You can jump start it with a car to test if it's the battery and not the regulator or a connection. Just don't have the car running when you do, but sometimes you have to to get enough juice.

Yes, I would connect a car battery to see if the bike starts.

DO NOT START THE CAR. No, you never have to "to get enough juice." If that's the case you are both not qualified to work on your bike and have other issues.

A regular car battery has more than enough juice to tell you whether or not your bike battery is the problem. I assume you check for loose cables.

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I would start by changing the battery then if not move on to the regulator and the stator. Has the bike been dropped that you know of?

Not that I know of, but it's possible it was dropped in the showroom, they had to replace the tail piece before I bought it...

Also my 08 had to get a new battery (covered under warranty though) because it'd been sitting around and died.

Hmm, not sure about trying that, my car battery's an Optima with a lot of CCA for winter starts, I'd be concerned it's too much for the bike...

Honda won't warranty batteries, but I can try...

Did you check your ground...

Yeah, as far as I can tell it's fine...

Where in town are you? I have A couple of Meters I could loan one to you and get back from you at the track day

I'm out in SE Aurora, past Southlands mall.

If the battery has been completely discharged before, or it's an old one, it could be sulfated. I had a battery that was a wet cell die on me. I topped it off and charged it up, the bike started and ran one day, then the battery died again. Turned out the plates had sulfated over and I needed a new one.

Guess that could be it, I've no idea how long it sat at the dealership before it was sold, so it could've died there. I had it on a trickle charger all winter, and it's never had an issue before tonight

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, I would connect a car battery to see if the bike starts.

DO NOT START THE CAR. No, you never have to "to get enough juice." If that's the case you are both not qualified to work on your bike and have other issues.

A regular car battery has more than enough juice to tell you whether or not your bike battery is the problem. I assume you check for loose cables.

I'm concerned it's too much CCA for the bike...but...maybe...

(Voltage: 12.8V Cold Cranking Amps: 800)

Foolds
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Eww Im way up in north Thornton. I do work at 6th and I-25 if you wanted me to bring one with me to work.

Im at work tomorrow starting at 10am

Vellos
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I tried starting my bike for 30 minutes connected to a car battery and it wouldn't do anything. Got frustrated and turned on the car, then my bike started immediately.

See if just connecting it to the battery alone is enough, should be fine even if you have a strong battery. If nothing turns on what so ever it's probably not the battery itself.

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Eww Im way up in north Thornton. I do work at 6th and I-25 if you wanted me to bring one with me to work.

Im at work tomorrow starting at 10am

Nah, no worries man, but thanks for the offer.

Tomorrow when something's open I'll take the battery in to get it tested and if it's fine then I'll move to having the bike brought in and looked at...

Of course, it won't be able to be looked at until next week, and that'll mean...no bike for the track day...awesome...

Ghost
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I just swapped my scooter battery in, and I know that's a good battery as it's new this summer, been on a trickle charger and the alarm won't flash if the battery's dead...I wasn't trying to start my bike with it, just use the scooter battery to see if I could get lights/gauges/FI to come on...nothing...

Put it back in the scooter, scooter fired up, runs, etc.

So...guess I'll take the battery just to confirm, but I'm thinking it's something loose in the bike...

AOK303
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
i would clean the ground just for kicks its a 2min job and will let you know
and oi if you were closer i have my multi meter, it has a wire checker, kinda nice put at lead then touch connectors tells you if there's a break got alot of use when i did audio install and car repair

Vellos
Fri Jun 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM
You can probably get it fixed tomorrow, plenty of places are open. Troubleshoot with the manual it's probably a connection directly with the battery.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Ignition or battery probably. You should check both with a meter. Home Depot sells a few cheaper ones, its worth it to just have one around.

Racz
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
It's probably because you haven't told her that you loved her lately.

Ghost
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
It's probably because you haven't told her that you loved her lately.

Seems like that's the key to getting a ride for most things ;)

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think it's pissed that you took off the Q2s. ;)

Ghost
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I think it's pissed that you took off the Q2s. ;)

Nah, seemed to love the Pirellis at HPR yesterday--but what girl wouldn't prefer overpriced Italian imports to budget-friendly American goods?

As to the issue:

1. The battery was totally dead and non-chargeable
2. The (whatever it's called) that the 30A fuse connects to had a fault/short/loose connection and was acting as if the fuse was blown/open

I'd only ridden it 2-3 times since the ECU was swapped, so I'm kinda wondering if something didn't get jostled/bumped/broken when that happened...

But, it's fixed, I made HPR, and despite only 2hrs sleep it was fun, so...as long as it's actually *fixed* and not just "fixed" then I'm only out the cost of the new battery and some time...nbd...

AOK303
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Nah, seemed to love the Pirellis at HPR yesterday--but what girl wouldn't prefer overpriced Italian imports to budget-friendly American goods?
+1

New Pirellis tomorrow

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Nah, seemed to love the Pirellis at HPR yesterday--.
Truth! Was that you on the black CBR with the red tape over the headlights?

sprtbkbabe
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
-but what girl wouldn't prefer overpriced Italian imports to budget-friendly American goods?..

Truer words were never spoken :devil1:

But, it's fixed, I made HPR, and despite only 2hrs sleep it was fun, so...as long as it's actually *fixed* and not just "fixed" then I'm only out the cost of the new battery and some time...nbd...

Yeah, and thanks for stopping by to say Hi :slap::)

Glad you got out on the track!!

Ghost
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Truer words were never spoken :devil1:

See? I know women! (or something...)

Yeah, and thanks for stopping by to say Hi :slap::)

Glad you got out on the track!!

Yeah, that's my bad. I was running on 2hrs sleep and not being as social as I should've been, by the time I noticed your bike in your pit I didn't see you around anywhere...your bike looked good...that help get me out of the dog house any? ;)

I was very glad to get out there--between the bike issues and the almost-getting lost on the way, I really didn't think I would make it at all.

I'd wanted to hit HPR since it opened (while I was stuck in NJ), and doing on the new bike while trying to follow Ty around was a ton of fun (though I'm convinced my ancient F4 was teh fastAr bike--it certainly was less fussy).

and NEXT TIME, I will swing by and/or pit closer, I promise :)

Ghost
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Truth! Was that you on the black CBR with the red tape over the headlights?

Nope, though I think I know who you mean.

I was on the Red/Black CBR with black tape over the headlights, spent most of the day running behind Ty Piz on his TZ250

fe911
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM
Have you checked the tip over sensor under the back seat? I've had mine come loose and hang to the side, and it wouldn't do anything. I don't remember if the guages came on or not. Hondas shouldn't just die like that, that's why you pay a little extra for them!