PDA

View Full Version : Animal encounters.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Edit: And no, guys, I'm not interested in the time you got drunk and took home that She-Wookie from the bar, that's another thread...... :)

Anybody want to post up about their close and personal animal encounters?

I killed my second bird today. In the mid-'90's I was ripping along a dirt road on my KX500 and a pheasant or something like that flew right out of the bushes on the side of the road and got clipped by my lower fork leg at probably 60mph or so. I want back and it was flopping around on the ground in pain, so I stomped on it's head with my MX boot to put it out of it's misery.....it made a HORRIBLE crunching sound, but did the job. Today some kamakaze bird decided to fly in from the side of the road and commit suicide (birdicide?) on my right collarbone at about 80+mph. I didn't stop, but should have to see what it was I hit. Frankly, I was just glad not to be covered in birdshit or guts as the impact was pretty heavy. Good thing I had my leathers on because it still hurt for a while.

Me and Ninja ALMOST hit a kamakaze deer once, and I barely clipped a deer's leg in my then brand new RAV4, but thankfully hit neither.

Discuss!

crypto0793
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Ran over a Prairie Dog

PhL0aTeR
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 11:02 PM
riding home today, i think a rabbit bounced off my back tire, and late last night around 11ish or so i came up on a deer bedded down right next to the road, soon as my headlight hit it, she jumped up, bolted in front of me, scared the shite outta me, I was tired and zombified by the long road with no curves and it made me realize it was time to pull over and set up camp... lol

Vellos
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Was it a brand new BMW Rav4?

Wrider
Sat Jun 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I've killed three ground squirrels and a rabbit by running over them, but not actually hitting them. (The vehicle literally went right over them)
Most recent was on Wednesday.

longrider
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Many years ago i ran over a prairie dog with my quad at Pueblo (this was back when you could pull into PMP and ride trails all the way to Pueblo reservoir). Twice since I have had encounters with suicidal deer, both times I was very lucky. The first one I still had a snowplow on my truck so it just bounced off the plow without hurting anything. The second time I was on my bike but fortunately (for me) it was a fawn so it just bounced off the front wheel. Now the sad part of the story, by the time I calmed down enough to turn around and go back another driver had stopped to clear the road and when he walked up to it it jumped up and dragged itself off the road by its front legs (I had apparently broken its back) I then pulled around to shine my headlight on it and it ran off again. Then standing on the shoulder we heard something and off in the field was its mother calling it :cry:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Many years ago i ran over a prairie dog with my quad at Pueblo (this was back when you could pull into PMP and ride trails all the way to Pueblo reservoir). Twice since I have had encounters with suicidal deer, both times I was very lucky. The first one I still had a snowplow on my truck so it just bounced off the plow without hurting anything. The second time I was on my bike but fortunately (for me) it was a fawn so it just bounced off the front wheel. Now the sad part of the story, by the time I calmed down enough to turn around and go back another driver had stopped to clear the road and when he walked up to it it jumped up and dragged itself off the road by its front legs (I had apparently broken its back) I then pulled around to shine my headlight on it and it ran off again. Then standing on the shoulder we heard something and off in the field was its mother calling it :cry:
Yeah, I hear ya, I felt bad both times I killed those birds, especially the one I had to finish. That was friggin' gruesome. Maybe you didn't break it's back, but maybe stunned it so bad they were temporarily paralyzed. I hope.

tecknojoe
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Deer split in half at 150mph at summit point raceway WV

not by me though

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Deer split in half at 150mph at summit point raceway WV

not by me though
Yikes! I know the Ninja cut one in half at speed.

Here's a note to all those Squidiot assholes who would run from the cops at high-speed: A human being would be cut in half just as easily as a deer at speed.

ChrisCBX
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I had a VERY close encounter with a full grown bull moose near the top of Cameron Pass on one of my CBX's.

I'm pretty sure he heard me coming because as I came around a bend, he was skidding down an embankment like he was trying to stop. Otherwise, he would have stepped right into my path.

I didn't have much berm but got off as soon as I safely could and took his picture as he continued on across the road......

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/DSCN3229_edited.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I almost hit a free range calf yesterday on the DR flying down Crown Point Rd.

Lucky for me, when I came haulin around the corner, the calf turned and ran down the road instead of taking a step forward into my path.

cows just might be smarter than deer.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I had a VERY close encounter with a full grown bull moose near the top of Cameron Pass on one of my CBX's.

I'm pretty sure he heard me coming because as I came around a bend, he was skidding down an embankment like he was trying to stop. Otherwise, he would have stepped right into my path.

I didn't have much berm but got off as soon as I safely could and took his picture as he continued on across the road......

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/DSCN3229_edited.jpg
Yikes! A deer you have a good chance of surviving, a moose?? Man, glad that didn't end badly!

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I almost hit a free range calf yesterday on the DR flying down Crown Point Rd.

HA!!!!! i was thinking about recent events, and spaced my first "T-Bone" encounter....

long story long, i was riding home very late from closing up shop at mcdonalds, 16 years old on my first bike, a CB750F with a REALLY bald rear tire. At the time i lived with my grandad down in TX who lived at the "country club lake estates" (read: i can water the street if i want to) and was altering my route home due to the original route through the neighborhood having a cement/concrete middle of the road gulley kinda thing where the people who watered the street felt better about themselves because the extra water would eventually shed down the gulley and into the #14 fairway water hazard. Well, the other way bordered some cattle grazing land, which apparently that night, was in need of some fence repair. When i turned the corner, i noticed to my right, a cow in some $750k houses lawn happily munching away. I thought.... "WTF are these cows......." and thats when i hit the one that was in front of me in the road in true T bone fashion. :roll:

I kinda opened my eyes and found the cow was directly in my face, shocked i yelled "AAAHHHHHH!!!!" The cow replied "MUUUUURRHHHHHH" and clopped away, i pulled my leg out from under the bike, picked it up, kicked it over and rode home quietly thanking Granny for making me wear my helmet... lol

dbx
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I ran over a snake the other day...i dont think it even flinched.

But the big one is, I ran over part of a deer carcass on the way to Pueblo on I25 about 1 week ago. It was about 5am, and im just cruisin...then BOOM dead deer in the road. I was in the right lane, so I pushed on my handle bar to swerve in the left. Im guessin i hit like a neck or something. Felt a bump and a crunch. I stayed upright, but man it scared the piss out of me lol. Got to work...found blood on my tire and fairing. eeewwwwww.. Told my buddy about it and he called whoever to get it cleared. SUCKED

tecknojoe
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Here's a note to all those Squidiot assholes who would run from the cops at high-speed: A human being would be cut in half just as easily as a deer at speed.

excellent point :lol:

edj
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I hit a deer at 80mph on my gamma in 1989. Wasn't pretty. The (baby) deer was practically cut in half and skid 50yards down the road. I tumbled about 80 yards and the bike skid over 100 yards and was still running. I really thought my # was up. I shattered my wrist (and the tripleclamp). But all ok now and still ride the same gamma.

Have also hit a (big!) bird ... flew up from road, hit top edge of windscreen and exploded like a water balloon full of brown paint all over my face/helmet. Totally blinded had to stop in the 'dark' and get the goo off. Smelled wretched by the time I got home.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I hit a deer at 80mph on my gamma in 1989. Wasn't pretty. The (baby) deer was practically cut in half and skid 50yards down the road. I tumbled about 80 yards and the bike skid over 100 yards and was still running. I really thought my # was up. I shattered my wrist (and the tripleclamp). But all ok now and still ride the same gamma.

Have also hit a (big!) bird ... flew up from road, hit top edge of windscreen and exploded like a water balloon full of brown paint all over my face/helmet. Totally blinded had to stop in the 'dark' and get the goo off. Smelled wretched by the time I got home.
Yeah, glad I didn't get covered in birdshit and/or guts. I'm sure it would have been a bitch cleaning the leathers off, and if it hit the bike probably would have broken the fairing. Felt like I got punched by a big dude. Many years ago an old G/F hit a small dog when I was in the car. Blew shit all down the driver's side. Ewwww.......

longrider
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
All the talk about birds made me think of this pic: (no, it wasn't me)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 01:03 PM
All the talk about birds made me think of this pic: (no, it wasn't me)Holy shit! Glad that wasn't me!

konaman
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I have only had two run in's with animals. The first, I must have been 13 on my CR125 and was getting it through my neighborhood when one of the dogs came right out of a yard about 90 degree's to my right, I didn't have any time to slow down and basically jumped him. He was a pretty young chocolate lab and I ruined his day and the day of his owners. They tried to blame me and all but there was nothing to be said. The second, I was back in Alabama about six months ago on my CBR and was moving pretty quickly on some back roads and a Kamikaze bird flew right into my helmet. I thought it was going to take me off the back of my bike but some how I held it together, when I moved back to the bird who was laying in the middle of the road, I just rode right over him which finished the job. All in all I made it out with just a cracked face shield.

Sarge
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Was it a brand new BMW Rav4?

Hah, at least somebody read it. 8)

I'll post the pics tomorrow, still haven't downloaded them off the mother in-laws camera.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Hah, at least somebody read it. 8)

I'll post the pics tomorrow, still haven't downloaded them off the mother in-laws camera.
Actually it's an Audi RAV4...... ;)

aerofaze
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Almost hit a giant raccoon on CO83 last summer.

He hesitated in the middle of the road as he stared at me coming right at him around a bend, and I screamed at him to keep moving (the screaming was more for my benefit). Thankfully, he did.

grim
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM
havent hit or run over anything in the 6 years ive been riding. Hopefully when my time comes it wont knock me off my bike!

Any suggestions from experienced people if or when it happens?

spdu4ia
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Almost hit a giant raccoon on CO83 last summer.

I screamed at him to keep moving (the screaming was more for my benefit). Thankfully, he did.

I just had a mental picture of this and it made my day

Sean
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hit a chipmunk, almost got clipped by multiple bunnies, two deer and three cows, all this weekend! What a ride!

grim
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hit a chipmunk, almost got clipped by multiple bunnies, two deer and three cows, all this weekend! What a ride!

DAMN!! What did you do wash your bike with that new animal pheromone soap?

Sean
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
DAMN!! What did you do wash your bike with that new animal pheromone soap?No, I was just on remote dirt roads. :viking:

grim
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
No, I was just on remote dirt roads. :viking:

yes i see you like to do a bit of offroading. You get to see much better views that way im sure!

aerofaze
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I just had a mental picture of this and it made my day

LIKE. :)

Wonder what my eyes looked like behind the helmet visor at that moment.

Sarge
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
A few years ago I was in a 2002 Saturn SC2 Coupe (Small car, very low to the ground) I was following somebody a little spirited (a friend of mine) when I see this HUGE jackrabbit at the side of the road. It almost ran in front of my friend, turned and backed up, I thought he had wised up and kept going, but he immediately turned around and jumped out in front of me. I felt it roll under almost every inch of the car underneath me, right down the center of the vehicle, and when I passed on the road later that night I saw it literally in pieces all over the place.

Felt bad, but what are you going to do? My brother in law tried to avoid a a rabbit once, swerved off the road, shot through a slate wall (this was in England, in the country) launched the car in the air and rolled it 3 or 4 times. All for a rabbit. I've always lived by the policy that if a small animal jumps in front of me and I can't safely avoid it, then sorry little guy.

JonnyD
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I hit a deer last season next to lair of the bear park. I was going the speed limit (seriously) as it was nighttime. Next thing I know on the straight road my headlight was filled with deer. Hit it, jumped back up and picked up my bike. A couple hours later went to the hospital and found out I had compartment syndrome in my lower right leg. Deer and Bike were both done (it was a Superhawk).

Other than that, it really freaks me out when chipmunks run between your wheels and you're in a corner. Do they like super flashy disc brakes or something?

As for suggestions... my gear saved the rest of me. No other injuries/rash other than the right leg (which as near as I can tell hit my frame slider, then the bike fell on it) Racing boots might have really helped.

FZRguy
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Collected a rabbit in the front wheel of my MTB, threw me OTB, broken clavicle. Not a good day. Two close encounters with deer on my FZR but managed to miss them.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Collected a rabbit in the front wheel of my MTB, threw me OTB, broken clavicle. Not a good day. Two close encounters with deer on my FZR but managed to miss them.
Bummer, sorry to hear it John. If you'd been on a motorcycle, you'da just chewed up that rabbit in the spokes and spit it out! :)

FZRguy
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
True, but it was on the bike path at night in 2004....owned by a rabbit!

Wrider
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 12:07 AM
True, but it was on the bike path at night in 2004....owned by a rabbit!
Are you saying you got bumped by a bunny?