PDA

View Full Version : Street tires - consider this....

rybo
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM
At the Chicane day this past weekend Jason DiSalvo on an essentially stock Ducati 1098 streetbike turned a number of laps in the 1:48 range on Dunlop Q2 street tires. This in 95 degree heat on a bike that was no where near set up for him.

The lap RECORD is in the 1:44 range on a full race liter bike with full race tires.

At the last MRA round JD would have been in the top 5 in ROR on STREET TIRES!

Tire technology has gotten VERY good in recent years, and Sunday really proves it.

Bueller
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Wow that is wild!

I would add that I am also riding/racing on street tires but that would mean absolutely nothing. :)

Vehicle 1
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I would add that I am also riding/racing on street tires but that would mean absolutely nothing. :)
+1 for the Power Pures I had on the Kawi for the track day, those things did great!

blaircsf
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I just got Q2's put on my bike last week, and was really happy with the performance at the track. I'm not anywhere near that fast, but it is nice to know they are that capable.

Vellos
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I think Scer was running Q2s also in the advanced class.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/ghostrider_9/Misc/IMG_2117.jpg

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
God damn.

Snowman
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Do you think he could have broke 1:40 on his full on race bike to take away the track record from that indy car?

Sean
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
That's bad-ass! :rock:

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM

He was on slicks the last part of the day.

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM

no...those are UK spec DOT race tires

pdfruth was running Q2's last year on his cbr 1000 and he is not slow.

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Werd, I got a set of his Q2 take offs for the winter months, I think I'll be faster now. :lol:

rybo
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Do you think he could have broke 1:40 on his full on race bike to take away the track record from that indy car?

No, but I think getting close to the 1:44 number would have been very possible. No one has come anywhere NEAR it since Matt Lynn set it at our very first race there.

FWIW I think the indy car record was broken late last year by a DSR (d-spec racer - purpose built racer that uses 1 liter motorcycle engine).

Scott

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
No, but I think getting close to the 1:44 number would have been very possible. No one has come anywhere NEAR it since Matt Lynn set it at our very first race there.

FWIW I think the indy car record was broken late last year by a DSR (d-spec racer - purpose built racer that uses 1 liter motorcycle engine).

Scott

Actually Jason did come close that same weekend, less than a second from Lynn's time.

spideyrdr
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 11:02 AM
That's insane. I have been running Q2's my 'entire' 1 year of racing and I have liked them. This last time out was the 6th time on the set (4 races, 1 wet race, and a 1/2 track day) and they were finally starting to feel less grippy. Time for some new rubbers!

Zach929rr
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM

"Is the Cake really a lie?"

Scer
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I was running a set if UK dots that have been on my bike for 2 years and 2.5 track days. I swapped out to the slicks for the afternoon session on Sunday. Needless to say I now know I need new toe sliders, knee pucks and rear sets for the bike now.

Although I think Jason indirectly told me that Q2s would be fine for me. Haha

Track on trackas

Ghost
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, but JD is also a true professional racer, you could probably have given him pretty much any roughly equivalent bike on any brand of tires and he'd have done pretty much the same.

I think it's less a measure of the bike/tires as it is a measure of just HOW capable Jason really is...let's not take that away from him...

rybo
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
John,

While I agree with you, that Jason is a spectacular rider, I think it says a lot about the current crop of street tires. Jason could ride nearly anything OVER the limit, but consider this -

He wasn't trying that hard. He was on a borrowed bike, at a local trackday, coming off of an injury and pretty much taking it easy.

If he was comfortable going that pace on a day when crashing simply wasn't an option - well, that too is saying something.

s

Ghost
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
John,

While I agree with you, that Jason is a spectacular rider, I think it says a lot about the current crop of street tires. Jason could ride nearly anything OVER the limit, but consider this -

He wasn't trying that hard. He was on a borrowed bike, at a local trackday, coming off of an injury and pretty much taking it easy.

If he was comfortable going that pace on a day when crashing simply wasn't an option - well, that too is saying something.

s

I don't really think I'm disagreeing, I'm just saying that had he been on a CBR1000RR with DOT Michelin Power Ones--or any Current/Modern brand bike/tire combo--his lap times would probably have been similar--I think it's the man, not necessarily the machine/tires that was really impressive...but maybe I'm just in hero-worship mode. ;)

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I swapped out to the slicks for the afternoon session on Sunday.

while street tires would be OK for the pace I am riding, I'm loving the way my 'day old' slicks feel....lol

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't really think I'm disagreeing, I'm just saying that had he been on a CBR1000RR with DOT Michelin Power Ones--or any Current/Modern brand bike/tire combo--his lap times would probably have been similar--I think it's the man, not necessarily the machine/tires that was really impressive...but maybe I'm just in hero-worship mode. ;)

If Jason were running race slicks he could have run 1:45's

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
JD was lucky I wasnt there, I would of shown him really how to use those Q2's . . . j/k

Graphite675
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, but JD is also a true professional racer, you could probably have given him pretty much any roughly equivalent bike on any brand of tires and he'd have done pretty much the same.

I agree with Scott that the tires have come a long long way in the past few years but your right, JD could probably ride the pants off just about anything I think.

I know he wasn't pushing very hard but I was behind him a few times and he was sliding that bike like crazy through some of the turns. Something I am no where near comfortable with. It was amazing to watch him from behind. He would be on the gas way earlier and that wheel would be sliding all the way out of the turn. :o

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Scott
I agree, the "street" tires are such a huge leap over what was considered a great tire back in the day. That people of that speed would even consider using them on a track day, let alone do so well on them, shows the progress that has been made over the years.

Question Rybo: was it a REAL, current Indy car driven by a top-notch driver? It's a huge blow to our egos, but lets face it, the difference between even a MotoGP bike and an F1 or Indy car are staggering.